Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Demogorgon Stalker (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=58624)

Splash January 24th, 2021 06:47 PM

The Book of Demogorgon Stalker

The Book of Demogorgon Stalker

C3G DARK HORSE PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION THIRTY
STRANGE CITY

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...lker_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...alker_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a D&D figure from the Stranger Things Dungeons and Dragons Starter Set set.
Its model number and name are Demogorgon.

NOTE: Demogorgon Stalker requires The Upside Down.

Character Bio -
DATE: November 6th, 1983
LOCATION: Hawkins National Labratory (U.S. Department of Energy) - Hawkins, Indiana
SUBJECT: Unknown biological organism

INITIAL ASSESSMENT: The facility run by Dr. Martin Brenner made contact with a possible ____ and was performing a follow up through further experimental means. [see SUBJECT: 011] Some sort of _____ opened up in the sub-basement level and an, as of yet, unidentified organism appeared.

INCIDENT REPORT: The event resulted in the death of one lab worker and a breach of facility by both said creature and test subject 011.

RECOMMENDATION: Contain and control AT ALL COSTS. All other actors are considered expendable.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Splash January 24th, 2021 06:48 PM

Re: The Book of Demogorgon - Breathing

NAME = DEMOGORGON STALKER

SPECIES = DEMOGORGON
UNIQUENESS = UNCOMMON HERO
CLASS = TORMENTOR
PERSONALITY = TERRIFYING

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 6

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 2

POINTS = 175

THE UPSIDE DOWN
At the start of the game, if you've already placed a Demogorgon in your army in your Start Zone, place this Demogorgon Stalker on an empty space in the Upside Down battlefield. After revealing an Order Marker on this card, instead of moving normally, you may place this Demogorgon Stalker on any empty space in the Upside Down battlefield.

DRAGGED INTO THE NETHER
Before taking a turn with this Demogorgon Stalker, you may choose an opponent’s small or medium figure without the Super Strength special power up to X spaces away from this Demogorgon Stalker, where X is the number of wounds on the chosen figure's card, and place this Demogorgon Stalker adjacent to the chosen figure. After moving and before attacking with this Demogorgon Stalker this turn, you may place the chosen figure on an empty space adjacent to this Demogorgon Stalker and it will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

UNSTOPPABLE RESILIENCE
If this Demogorgon Stalker would receive one or more wounds, ignore one of those wounds.

Splash January 24th, 2021 07:02 PM

Comic Art

Figure pics

Background

Thanks everyone for letting me run this!

I just thought of this the other day so I didn't wanna tack it on without consideration, but I think Weak Minded would be a fitting one to put on as well, since they are mostly/usually under the Mind Flayer's control.

WEAK-MINDED 4
If any player rolls the 20-sided die to take temporary or permanent control of this Demogorgon, that player may add 4 to the roll.

Arch-vile January 24th, 2021 07:51 PM

Looks good. Don't forget to tag the heroes and post in the promotions or welcome thread so people know this thread started up.

Pretty simple design, they'll be fairly useful as assassins if the opponent has a leader figure in their start zone. No opinion either way on the weak minded thing.

Splash January 24th, 2021 07:56 PM

Oop almost forgot, I knew there was something, thanks!

Tornado January 24th, 2021 08:01 PM

Could be nice with Frankenstein. He can lumber forth and these guys can just pop in.

Soundwarp SG-1 January 24th, 2021 08:27 PM

Liking the general idea here.

Weak-Minded seems a bit odd to me since like, I don't think they've been mind-controlled by parties other than the Mind Flayer have they? Like we don't really know enough about them to give them that IMO. For all we know they're super strong willed but the Mind Flayer is just that l33t at mind control or what-not.

But maybe the comics elaborate on that.

I'm not super keen on Predatory as a personality personally. Like the only other card with that is the White Martians and it doesn't really tell us much. Seems like they should just have the class of Predator if that's an important thing to convey.

Menacing/Relentless/Terrifying strike me as better personalities personally.

IAmBatman January 24th, 2021 09:22 PM

I like Terrifying Creature or Terrifying Predator. Both seem to sum them up pretty well. Probably lean Terrifying Creature just because I'm not sure if they've ever been shown to really exist to eat so much as to exist to terrify.

Wouldn't be surprised if 140 is a bit higher for them. They basically pop in wherever you want, which means tracking isn't a big deal, but other than first strike, they don't do terribly much in combat, and their stats are only worth about 75 points.

I could see anywhere from 110-140 justified on the calculator, but personally think they're closer to 110-120.

tcglkn January 24th, 2021 09:34 PM

I just don't feel like Blood Tracking does anything for the card with their teleport power. I'd consider something like Feeding Frenzy from King Shark:
FEEDING FRENZY
When King Shark attacks, he receives 1 extra attack die for each Wound Marker on the defending figure’s Army Card, to a maximum of 3 additional attack dice for Feeding Frenzy. When King Shark destroys a figure with his normal attack, he must attack again. King Shark must continue attacking with his normal attack until he does not destroy a figure.

Or just Blood Frenzy from Wild Child:
BLOOD FRENZY 2
When attacking a figure that is not a destructible object, Wild Child receives 1 extra attack die for each Wound Marker on the defending figure's card up to a maximum of 2 additional attack dice for Blood Frenzy.

IAmBatman January 24th, 2021 09:37 PM

Yeah, I dig either of those. :up:

Lord Pyre January 25th, 2021 10:10 AM

I've only seen season one so I can't comment on theme past that. But currently he's a bit... boring? Blood tracking is useless since it's redundant with teleport. And while teleporting is a good horror villain "you never know where he is" mechanic, he's just not too scary. In the show they kidnap kids and are freaking terrifying, so maybe something like Imposing presence (But maybe not exactly that since that power on uncommons would be bad), or something that lets them place opponents figures on their card for a time, similar to Angstrom.

MrNobody January 25th, 2021 10:13 AM

What if the Upside Down was a separate map?

Dr. Jekyll January 25th, 2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Pyre (Post 2444043)
I've only seen season one so I can't comment on theme past that. But currently he's a bit... boring? Blood tracking is useless since it's redundant with teleport. And while teleporting is a good horror villain "you never know where he is" mechanic, he's just not too scary. In the show they kidnap kids and are freaking terrifying, so maybe something like Imposing presence (But maybe not exactly that since that power on uncommons would be bad), or something that lets them place opponents figures on their card for a time, similar to Angstrom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2444052)

I had similar thoughts to these, just don't know how to word it.

IAmBatman January 25th, 2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2444052)

I'd save that for an Event Hero Mindflayer type. In the show so far we really only get these guys when they come here, so anything else should be irrelevant for gameplay, IMO.

I actually kind of really like the idea of Imposing Presence on them (or renamed so it doesn't stack if we prefer). As long as they're properly costed, though, I don't terribly mind it stacking. I think that's actually just what they need to feel right.

I'd actually take that over any feeding frenzy/frenzy type powers, because these guys are more about the fear factor than actually killing/eating, IMO.

Lazy Orang January 25th, 2021 10:29 AM

Don't know these at all, but would Tormentor fit for class? Might be fun to get them into the horror grouping over Frankenstein's 'outcast creatures unite!' synergy.

MrNobody January 25th, 2021 02:06 PM

What about rolling the "terrifying" power and the "predatory" power into one thing?
Quote:

HORRIFYING PRESENCE
If a figure engaged with this Demogorgon has less Life remaining than this Demogorgon, subtract 1 from that figure's Attack number and Defense number. Fearless figures are not affected by Horrifying Presence, and a figure may never have more than 1 subtracted from their Attack or Defense number with the Horrifying Presence special power.

IAmBatman January 25th, 2021 03:28 PM

I’d be tempted yo drop their attack/defense to 4/4 and let the subtraction stack. Or only subtract from defense if that’s too crippling (probably prefer that, actually).

MrNobody January 25th, 2021 04:28 PM

My thinking is that this is still like a $10-15 mini (I've seen he Stranger Things set anywhere from $20-40 and you get 2 figures), so while it is uncommon, it makes sense to avoid a huge swarm of them being required.

Yodaking January 25th, 2021 05:37 PM

Good thoughts so far.

Agree on dropping Blood Tracking if it's going to have a drop anywhere on the map power. Some kind of feeding frenzy take is a good idea Tickle! I think it should be focused on devouring the unit it attacked though rather than attacking new figures. So something where if he deals a wound, he attacks the same figure again, and keeps eating until he fails to deal a wound (with a 4 attack cap).

Creating an Upside Down side map would be thematic, but also a big escalation in complexity and I kind of prefer a simple card for them. Agree that they should play just as good all by themselves vs. in multiples.

IAmBatman January 25th, 2021 06:35 PM

Yeah, I think it's just the wording that is bothering me/feels inelegant. I think in terms of being terrifying, there's the normal monster movie trope: If you're facing one of these it's the scariest thing in the world, but if you're facing several it's just war and you're almost over the fear factor.

So I might go with this:

HORRIFYING PRESENCE
If a figure without the Fearless personality is engaged with only this Demogorgon and has less Life remaining than this Demogorgon, subtract 1 from that figure's Attack and Defense numbers.

tcglkn January 25th, 2021 06:36 PM

That makes sense :up:

Dr. Jekyll January 25th, 2021 10:15 PM

Hey guys, I know this is a lot and would barely fit on a card but I thought I would share anyway. Kinda mix of Freddy and Angstrom. Thought it would be cool to incorporate an Upside Down "realm"

Quote:

THE UPSIDE DOWN
Start the game with a seven-hex asphalt tile, called The Upside Down, near the battlefield. The Upside Down is considered part of the battlefield. This Demogorgon starts the game on any empty Upside Down space instead of on the battlefield. Before taking a turn with this Demogorgon, if this Demogorgon started its turn on an Upside Down space and is not engaged, you may place it on any empty space on the battlefield. You cannot place it adjacent to any figures or glyphs. At the end of the round, if this Demogorgon is unengaged you may place it on any empty Upside Down space.

HUNTING GROUNDS
After moving, you may choose an adjacent opponent's figure. Place the chosen figure and this Demogorgon on any empty spaces on the Upside Down. Whenever any player reveals a numbered Order Marker, that player must roll the 20-sided die for each figure they control that occupies the Upside Down that does not have The Upside Down special power, one at a time. If that player rolls 13 or higher, that player must place the figure on any empty spaces in that player’s Start Zone. Figures moved with Hunting Grounds never take any leaving engagement attacks.

Splash January 25th, 2021 10:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone; that Horrifying Presence power is perfect, I was gonna write up some idea with the scaring woundeds after work, but that is even better; props to Nobody and Bats! I think I do like Presence better than just lots of attacks, it's more they are drawn to blood like sharks (so anything encouraging that is cool) and they are a little more lumbering in their attacks sometimes.
I would also like to keep the 5/5, as the first one at least appears to be strongk like bear, busting through concrete, and the thing shrugged off tons of bullets and being completely on fire. I was actually thinking of giving them Super Strength initially. Maybe 4/5 would be alright if it gets shrunk.
Also it's be a small stretch, but these critters do fit in kind of nicely with the horror icons, I like Lazy Orang's idea of making them Tormentors, they definitely torment Will. Pinhead dispatching these monsters would be fun. Terrifying works great too for Personality.
I think Lord Pyre's definitely right in that the main thing they do, besides just terrify and mutilate, is drag victims back to their world, so here's an idea for an abduction power that could be tacked on or paired with the other two.

Quote:

PORTAL ABDUCTION (or some such name)
If this Demogorgon inflicts one or more wounds on an adjacent figure or ends its turn next to a figure with one Life, you may place that figure on this card. At the beginning of each round, the player who controls that figure must roll the 20 sided die. If that player rolls 8 or lower, the figure receives a wound. If that player rolls 16 or higher, that player must place the figure on any empty spaces in that player’s Start Zone. Figures moved with Portal Abduction never take any leaving engagement attacks. There cannot be more than two figures on this card at any given time.

Splash January 25th, 2021 10:36 PM

Dang I took too much time, you beat me to it Jekyll. :p
I like that a lot, and the shared seven-hex Upside Down (unless it still needs wording) incentivizes not running too many so the price worry from earlier is in check.
I have the harmful wounding in mine since the environment there is basically toxic, could add a fun "unless the figure has the Environmental Suit special power" reference.

Splash January 30th, 2021 10:57 PM

It's been a little stagnant, but Horrifying Presence and Jekyll's post work just about perfect so I thought I'd collect everything together.

Quote:

NAME = DEMOGORGON

SPECIES = DEMOGORGON
UNIQUENESS = UNCOMMON HERO
CLASS = TORMENTOR
PERSONALITY = TERRIFYING

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 3

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = ???

THE UPSIDE DOWN
Start the game with a seven-hex dungeon tile for all Demogorgons in your army, called The Upside Down, near the battlefield. The Upside Down is considered part of the battlefield. This Demogorgon starts the game on any empty Upside Down space instead of on the battlefield. Before taking a turn with this Demogorgon, if it started its turn on an Upside Down space and is not engaged, you may place it on any empty space on the battlefield. You cannot place it adjacent to any figures or glyphs. At the end of the round, if this Demogorgon is unengaged you may place it on any empty Upside Down space.

HUNTING GROUNDS
After moving, you may choose an adjacent figure. Place the chosen figure and this Demogorgon on any empty spaces on the Upside Down. Whenever any player reveals a numbered Order Marker, that player must roll the 20-sided die for each figure they control that occupies the Upside Down that does not have The Upside Down special power, one at a time. If that player rolls 6 or lower, the figure receives a wound unless it has the Environmental Suit special power. If that player rolls 13 or higher, that player must place the figure on any empty spaces in that player’s Start Zone. Figures moved with Hunting Grounds never take any leaving engagement attacks.

HORRIFYING PRESENCE
If a figure without the Fearless personality is engaged with only this Demogorgon and has less Life remaining than this Demogorgon, subtract 1 from that figure's Attack and Defense numbers.
With that wording, is it implied there would be a shared Upside Down or multiple for multiple Demogorgons? The only other thing I'm thinking of right now is the asphalt space would give street types a bonus, which is a little weird, but I don't know if another seven-hex would make more sense and has no effects like that (dungeon?).

tcglkn January 30th, 2021 11:29 PM

I was about to suggest Dungeon would be better for the tile. If you want there to only be one 7 hex tile for all of them to share I am sure we can figure out the wording. I think currently you get one for each.

Dr. Jekyll January 31st, 2021 01:52 AM

I don't feel like they should lose the bonus if there are more Demogorgons involved.

Quote:

HORRIFYING PRESENCE
If a figure without the Fearless personality is engaged with only this Demogorgons and has less Life remaining than this Demogorgon, subtract 1 from that figure's Attack and Defense numbers.
Edit: Start the game with one seven hex dungeon tile for all Demogorgons in your army.

Soundwarp SG-1 January 31st, 2021 04:35 AM

That starts to stack in a bad way.

IAmBatman January 31st, 2021 09:25 AM

Are these single or double based? You’d be limiting someone to having 7 or 3 of them depending.

Splash January 31st, 2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

HORRIFYING PRESENCE
If a figure without the Fearless personality is engaged with this Demogorgon and has less Life remaining than this Demogorgon, subtract 1 from that figure's Attack number and Defense number. A figure may never have more than 1 subtracted from their Attack or Defense number with the Horrifying Presence special power.
In that case we should probably use MrNobody's original idea.
Single based, I can get those figure pics over here later today.

LordVenoc January 31st, 2021 02:42 PM

Might want to get a wording check before moving too far. Those powers look like they may be too tight a fit on a card.

IAmBatman January 31st, 2021 02:45 PM

:word: Anything that goes past thirteen lines of power text usually gets me worried on this front and this is like 19 with that update. :-P

LordVenoc January 31st, 2021 03:06 PM

My quick ballpark method has been check the number of characters of text to the characters in the power text for Dracula, aiming to be at least 50-100 characters under (preferably more). You're currently 172 characters over, so I'd almost guarantee it needs some shortening.

Splash January 31st, 2021 03:34 PM

There is a lot going on with the first two powers, we could drop Horrifying Presence.

Dr. Jekyll January 31st, 2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2445735)
There is a lot going on with the first two powers, we could drop Horrifying Presence.

I was gonna suggest the same

IAmBatman January 31st, 2021 04:29 PM

Hmm, realized that technically right now there's a separate Upside Down for each Demogorgon, since each has a power that creates one at the beginning of the game. Is that the intent?

Dr. Jekyll January 31st, 2021 04:33 PM

I suggested this earlier. Might help that issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll (Post 2445557)
Start the game with one seven hex dungeon tile for all Demogorgons in your army.

IAmBatman January 31st, 2021 04:41 PM

Streamlining attempt:

THE UPSIDE DOWN
Start the game with one seven-hex dungeon tile, called The Upside Down, for all Demogorgons you control and place it near the battlefield. The Upside Down is considered part of the battlefield and this Demogorgon starts the game on any empty Upside Down space. Before taking a turn with this Demogorgon, if it started its turn on an Upside Down space, you may place it on any empty space that is neither an Upside Down space nor within one space of a figure or glyph. At the end of the round, you may place this Demogorgon on any empty Upside Down space. Before any time you place this Demogorgon, you may choose an adjacent figure. After any time you place this Demogorgon, you may place the chosen figure adjacent to this Demogorgon, on any empty space. After placing a figure onto an Upside Down space this way, if it is not a Demogorgon and does not have the Environmental Suit special power, you may roll one unblockable attack die against it. Figures moved by this special power never take leaving engagement attacks.

HORRIFYING PRESENCE

Soundwarp SG-1 January 31st, 2021 05:51 PM

On fitting the wording on a card:

The version in post 25 is hitting minimums (6.2 font 6.7 leading) even with Horrifying Presence cut entirely.

The version in post 38 fits entirely at the same size.

Splash January 31st, 2021 05:52 PM

Thanks for the streamline Bats!
Without the d20 roll would figures just be stuck over there?

IAmBatman January 31st, 2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2445800)
Thanks for the streamline Bats!
Without the d20 roll would figures just be stuck over there?

Yes. Given what SW is saying, might be worth cutting Horrifying Presence and spelling out what you need to on the one power. I definitely attempted to add some clarifying text here and there.

Splash January 31st, 2021 05:57 PM

Maybe they could drop portals like Spot or something if that could somehow be a way to make it shorter. The Upside Down could be a 24-hexer.

Dr. Jekyll January 31st, 2021 06:00 PM

I feel like they need a way out. What happens if the Demogorgon or Demogorgons die and there is no way to reach the Upside Down?

Splash January 31st, 2021 06:03 PM

What if they carried a portal glyph that dropped when they were killed or wounded that leads to the opposite dimension?
Cause they're kinda just digging holes around that don't really close right away after. Like the one the teenagers found in the woods. I remeber that one was sort of slowly closing, so they could go back on the Demogorgon card at the end of the round if that Demogorgon is still alive.
And some of the rules could be on those glyph cards.

IAmBatman January 31st, 2021 06:10 PM

Streamlining attempt 2:

THE UPSIDE DOWN
Start the game with one seven-hex dungeon tile, called The Upside Down, for all Demogorgons you control and place it near the battlefield. The Upside Down is considered part of the battlefield and this Demogorgon starts the game on any empty Upside Down space. At the end of each round, each Player must roll an unblockable attack die against each figure they control that occupies the Upside Down. If they do not roll a skull, they may place that figure on any empty space that is not in the Upside Down. Figures placed with this special power never take leaving engagement attacks and figures with The Upside Down and Environmental Suit special powers do not receive wounds from this special power.

HUNTING GROUNDS
At the end of the round, you may place this Demogorgon on any empty Upside Down space. Before placing this Demogorgon this way, you may choose an adjacent figure. After placing this Demogorgon this way, you may place the chosen figure adjacent to this Demogorgon, on any empty space. Figures moved by this special power never take leaving engagement attacks.

Not sure how to avoid the bolded part stacking, though.

Soundwarp SG-1 January 31st, 2021 06:18 PM

Might be better to just have the Upside Down as its own map and have some of the stuff currently on this card as default rules for that map, there's some stuff in sanctum that works like that.

IAmBatman January 31st, 2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2445814)
Might be better to just have the Upside Down as its own map and have some of the stuff currently on this card as default rules for that map, there's some stuff in sanctum that works like that.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. And gives a potential Mindflayer and Eleven something to play off as well.

Splash January 31st, 2021 06:21 PM

I think that second streamline is getting closer.