Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Marvel News (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   More Marvel Heroscape? When? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=22153)

Sherman Davies December 16th, 2009 11:33 AM

Re: More Marvel Heroscape? When?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elginb (Post 974971)
On a slightly different note: do you think that one of the reasons they're integrating D&D 'Scape fully with Classic 'Scape is because they perceived that lack-of-integration was one of the reasons Marvel didn't sell? Did Marvel fail just because it was the first license and they didn't understand how best to market it?

I believe it was the latter. This forum community is the only place there was a "perceived lack-of-integration," and we represent a small part of the overall Heroscape-buying public. The average person buying Marvelscape at Wal-Mart likely had no idea that Captain America didn't fight for Jandar, nor did they care.

IAmBatman December 16th, 2009 12:14 PM

Cap doesn't fight for Jandar?? :-P

501st December 18th, 2009 03:58 AM

Yes I have also been wondering when they will release the army expansion packs of marvel heroscape.

When I was at Gen-con of 2007 there was preview box of all the expansions to come not just for heroscape but also for the marvel portion. X-men and fantastic four seem to be the most represented and the sculpts looked great. The Hasbro decided to drop heroscape to WotC to do. I have yet to see them in store. The expansions then took forever to appear for the classic version. Now I am 2 years later and haven't seen those pieces yet for Marvel.

Cavalier December 18th, 2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 501st (Post 976367)
Yes I have also been wondering when they will release the army expansion packs of marvel heroscape.

When I was at Gen-con of 2007 there was preview box of all the expansions to come not just for heroscape but also for the marvel portion. X-men and fantastic four seem to be the most represented and the sculpts looked great. The Hasbro decided to drop heroscape to WotC to do. I have yet to see them in store. The expansions then took forever to appear for the classic version. Now I am 2 years later and haven't seen those pieces yet for Marvel.

As of now, they are not going to be released.

IAmBatman December 18th, 2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavalier (Post 976439)
Quote:

Is that a quote from anyone, Cav? Last I saw anyone connected with WotC in an official capacity, they were saying that they would be released.
Now, don't get me wrong, I see the writing on the wall and have for a while, and I think the fact that we haven't gotten the wave in the last 2 years speaks pretty loudly for itself, but has anyone come out and made an official statement that has contradicted the earlier "it will be released" statement?

Cavalier December 18th, 2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 976653)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavalier (Post 976439)
Quote:

Is that a quote from anyone, Cav? Last I saw anyone connected with WotC in an official capacity, they were saying that they would be released.
Now, don't get me wrong, I see the writing on the wall and have for a while, and I think the fact that we haven't gotten the wave in the last 2 years speaks pretty loudly for itself, but has anyone come out and made an official statement that has contradicted the earlier "it will be released" statement?

No, nothing official. Just writing on the wall.

IAmBatman December 18th, 2009 04:29 PM

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. :-)

badgermaniac December 19th, 2009 01:04 PM

I wonder how much of the "failure" of the Marvel set was having a fairly limited number of figures to play with. Anyone who has played the game with JUST the core figures knows that it gets pretty bland in a hurry. I think releasing say, 20 figures in the base set might have given it more sustainability.

This also might apply to the lack of terrain. Since it was designed to be a standalone from the core game, the casual Marvel fan was left with very few options for creating a fun game board. It is ok to have a sparse set if you are integrating it with classic HS, but otherwise, you had better treat it like the other master sets and really "go for it" with regards to terrain (and especially cool terrain beyond the wall).

This also goes to the lack of support for the base MS game. If you are going to release a game with a limited amount of terrain and a limited number of figures, you had better release expansions and quickly. They obviously did none of this and if they weren't committed to the game, how did they expect the fans to be?

I understand that the cost structure of MS was going to have to be different due to the Marvel license, but I think it could have worked with a different marketing/production strategy. There is a LOT of natural pull for characters like Spidey and Cap and Hulk and so forth (especially with all of the Marvel movies....another wasted opportunity, as has been discussed before).

The bottom line is that I don't think they were ever committed to really making the game work/sell.

Hahma December 19th, 2009 02:42 PM

I agree Badgermaniac. It seemed like a half azzed effort all the way around with little real thought behind it.

oni December 19th, 2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N-Scaper94 (Post 974858)
We can hope for star wars though too, right?

No.

fomox December 29th, 2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgermaniac (Post 977227)
I wonder how much of the "failure" of the Marvel set was having a fairly limited number of figures to play with. Anyone who has played the game with JUST the core figures knows that it gets pretty bland in a hurry. I think releasing say, 20 figures in the base set might have given it more sustainability.

This also might apply to the lack of terrain. Since it was designed to be a standalone from the core game, the casual Marvel fan was left with very few options for creating a fun game board. It is ok to have a sparse set if you are integrating it with classic HS, but otherwise, you had better treat it like the other master sets and really "go for it" with regards to terrain (and especially cool terrain beyond the wall).

This also goes to the lack of support for the base MS game. If you are going to release a game with a limited amount of terrain and a limited number of figures, you had better release expansions and quickly. They obviously did none of this and if they weren't committed to the game, how did they expect the fans to be?

I understand that the cost structure of MS was going to have to be different due to the Marvel license, but I think it could have worked with a different marketing/production strategy. There is a LOT of natural pull for characters like Spidey and Cap and Hulk and so forth (especially with all of the Marvel movies....another wasted opportunity, as has been discussed before).

The bottom line is that I don't think they were ever committed to really making the game work/sell.

I think this is exactly right.

Imagine if the D&D set were released this January but was not immediately followed by expansion waves (both figures and terrain). The MS on its own is a much different prospect than the MS sitting next to some nice blister packs of figures/terrain.

I do have some hope that a successful D&D run will pave the way for a similar 'relaunch' of Marvel. The MS on it's own is a much different prospect than the MS sitting next to some nice blister packs of figures/terrain.

Bogusoid December 30th, 2009 01:08 AM

I thought Marvelscape was a lot of fun even on its own, but it needs those new figures to remain interesting; and of course they need some new terrain. I just don't understand why they gave up on it so quickly, I imagined it a strong shoulder for former Heroclix players to lean on.

Frankly, I find Marvel characters easier to integrate into classic HS than the D&D characters - is the D&D set actually canon to the story? This set has humans, elves, dwarves, trolls, and dragons coming from a planet that isn't Earth, Feylund, or Icaria, and that just messes up all kinds of continuity. At least the Marvel universe has humans from Earth and so on. Not to mention the figures just look more like D&D miniatures slapped onto Heroscape bases. Even the dwarf is a Medium 4, as opposed to Feylund's Small 3 dwarves.

I assume the real issue is more with playstyle integration. It's really hard to draft a regular war party where one hero can cost as much as 370 points. The Hulk is a one-man army!