Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of C3G Destructible Object Rules (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55039)

quozl September 7th, 2018 12:48 AM

Re: Draftable Vehicles Discussion Thread (Initial Testing)

It sounds to me you want VDOs to be less reliable protection in exchange for figures to be able to use their powers while inside VDOs. What if we just made you roll a combat die when attacking a VDO? If you roll a skull, the figures inside are affected. If not, the VDO is affected.

Lazy Orang September 7th, 2018 04:14 AM

What about if the 'roll one unblockable attack die against each figure in the car when it's destroyed' happened whenever the car was wounded? Makes it slightly less effective protection (though Joker doesn't really care, sadly), and if a car is hit, it makes sense the people inside it might be hurt without it straight up blowing up.

IAmBatman September 7th, 2018 08:16 AM

Or lets go simple. If the vehicle takes any number of wounds, each occupant takes the same number of wounds. Riding in vehicles makes you faster and gives you powers but actually leaves you more exposed.

japes September 7th, 2018 09:44 AM

I slept on this and woke up concluding that the issue wasn't the powers but the protection. So all these ideas that have been posted overnight are interesting ideas that I think we could make work. After realizing that the Sports car had a defense of 6 I was leaning toward Bat's idea. But then I guess if you have two figures in a car DO Auto wounds become a major counter. Which I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Thoughts?

I know when my car took damage I received wounds ;)

IAmBatman September 7th, 2018 10:43 AM

If they're in a car they're a grouped target (easier to hit both) and they're less able (thematically, IMO) to actively defend themselves (dodging bullets, for instance, is tougher if you're wearing your seat belt and going 80 mph!).

I definitely think that the version I posted will shut down using the cars to "hide" OM hubs or obnoxious scissor figures like Joker (I) and Ozy.

Spidey'tilIDie September 7th, 2018 03:00 PM

I'd argue for two defense rolls. I make Attack roll on Bats' Sports Car. He rolls defense. If I damage the Sports Car, then his occupant(s) roll defense against the same attack. I'm with japes: when I was hit by a drunk driver, my car was totaled, but I was not. I definitely took damage though, but the seatbelt and airbag protected me.

IAmBatman September 7th, 2018 03:10 PM

That brings in all of the powers that may or may not trigger on defensive rolls (i.e. a messy spiderweb of mechanics).

quozl September 7th, 2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2219719)
Or lets go simple. If the vehicle takes any number of wounds, each occupant takes the same number of wounds. Riding in vehicles makes you faster and gives you powers but actually leaves you more exposed.

We could modify this a bit:

If you inflict any number of wounds on a VDO, roll that same number of unblockable attack dice against each occupant of that VDO.

Lazy Orang September 7th, 2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quozl (Post 2219963)
Quote:

If you inflict any number of wounds on a VDO, roll that same number of unblockable attack dice against each occupant of that VDO.

I was going to suggest this. Seems most logical to me.

Spidey'tilIDie September 7th, 2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quozl (Post 2219963)
Quote:

Really good solution, q!

Yodaking September 7th, 2018 03:25 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't want individual defense rolls due to the many powers that may trigger that are not thematically or mechanically clean. I'd just have the VDO roll defense and if it takes a wound but is not destroyed, roll an unblockable vs. every passenger for each wound the VDO takes. If the VDO is destroyed though, then each figure inside takes 1W for every 2 life on the VDO's card. So if the VDO took 2 wounds, but is not destroyed, you would roll 2 combat die vs. each figure in the VDO one at a time, passengers can then take anywhere from 0-2W's. If a VDO with 5 life is destroyed by any attack or power, then each figure inside the VDO at that moment takes 2 wounds. Something like a motorcycle might only have 2-3 life and thus the rider only takes 1W when it gets destroyed, but a tank might have 6 life and anyone caught inside when it gets destroyed then takes 3Ws. A VDO with a higher defense than your figure is still going to look like an attractive suit of armor if they don't have a defensive power, but once a VDO starts taking damage you might start thinking about bailing out before it gets destroyed.

IAmBatman September 7th, 2018 03:51 PM

I can get on board with that approach. Deterrent enough, Ronin?

(The unblockables for wounds I mean. Let’s not go crazy beyond that).