Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Rav August 22nd, 2011 04:38 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1466594)
Two suggestions:
1. How about making the Wolves a 3-figure squad, with the corresponding adjustments to Pack Movement and removing "Grey" from their name. This would allow people to use the Wolves of Badru figures that many of us may already have.
2. Let's finalize the Doctor and then take the animal cards 1 by 1. Designs and ideas may well get lost in the shuffle with so much going on at once.

Agree with your points Mac.

The Doc's latest stats look good, just one question.... Do we keep his defense at 3 or lower it and give him a bonus for defense for how many animals that he has adjacent to him (as his protectors)? Just a thought. Without them close he is really weak (like a 1 or 2 defense), but with them somewhat close they protect him, giving him up to 3/4 defense.

Lamaclown August 22nd, 2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav (Post 1466601)

Agree with your points Mac.

The Doc's latest stats look good, just one question.... Do we keep his defense at 3 or lower it and give him a bonus for defense for how many animals that he has adjacent to him (as his protectors)? Just a thought. Without them close he is really weak (like a 1 or 2 defense), but with them somewhat close they protect him, giving him up to 3/4 defense.

I really like that idea.

The only thing is that he already has three abilities that are very thematic. If we add the defense boost ability it might be a little overkill as far as the number of abilities he has. Also, it isn't a necessary ability as far as what is needed to bring out the flavor of who the Dr is.

However, like I said, I really like the ability so if the others are for it I would be willing to add it in there.

Rav August 22nd, 2011 04:58 PM

Yeah, I don't want to overkill his abilities.... it was just a thought. Maybe we justify his defense being a 3 by saying that he uses insects (my insect swarm idea) to disrupt attackers?

mac122 August 22nd, 2011 05:03 PM

Let's add a bit to one of the current abilities and then be able to lower the Doctor's defense.
Quote:

WALK WITH THE ANIMALS
After taking a turn with Dr. Doolittle, you may move up to two Animal figures you control up to 4 spaces each. Dr. Doolittle adds 1 die to his defense for each adjacent Animal you control, to a maximum of 3 additional dice.
He can let them walk somewhere else to set up a future move or they can walk with him to help protect him.

Taeblewalker August 22nd, 2011 08:56 PM

Lots of great ideas here, guys. The Defense boost for adjacent animals might not seem to capture the essence of the Dr. Dolittle in his original context, but it makes sense that the Animals would help him out that way in Valhalla.

Lamaclown August 22nd, 2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1466619)
Let's add a bit to one of the current abilities and then be able to lower the Doctor's defense.
Quote:

WALK WITH THE ANIMALS
After taking a turn with Dr. Doolittle, you may move up to two Animal figures you control up to 4 spaces each. Dr. Doolittle adds 1 die to his defense for each adjacent Animal you control, to a maximum of 3 additional dice.
He can let them walk somewhere else to set up a future move or they can walk with him to help protect him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1466724)
Lots of great ideas here, guys. The Defense boost for adjacent animals might not seem to capture the essence of the Dr. Dolittle in his original context, but it makes sense that the Animals would help him out that way in Valhalla.

:thumbsup:
With it combined with an ability rather than being a fourth ability, I think it works just fine.

As far as his points, do you guys think his points should be somehow linked with the efficacy of the animals or be totally independent?

Taeblewalker August 22nd, 2011 09:10 PM

I'd say independent. We should assume that he will have a fairly mediocre animal squad on hand, or a decent single animal hero, and have some of his point refelct that. But the bulk of his army's points would be on the bear's or elephant's card.

Rav August 22nd, 2011 09:54 PM

Independent. To me, he is similar to other guys like Spartacus or Hatsuaro (only less so because he is not a warrior in that sense) in that he is okay by himself by really stands out with his his companion squads.

Lamaclown August 23rd, 2011 04:52 PM

Here is a first concept for the HoF stamp...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...wn/hoflogo.png

Here is what it would look like on a card...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...logosample.jpg

Colors can be changed if the colors don't jive with everyone.
The whole concept can be changed if it doesn't appeal to you guys. I am open to any suggestions on improving this one or for a totally different idea if this one isn't what we want- you won't hurt my feelings.

mac122 August 24th, 2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1467199)
The whole concept can be changed if it doesn't appeal to you guys. I am open to any suggestions on improving this one or for a totally different idea if this one isn't what we want- you won't hurt my feelings.

I like where this is going. Nice job! I'd like the sword to be smaller/shorter so it doesn't stick out as far past the letters. I think the color is fine. It would be cool if they looked like they were carved from stone (brings in the whole Excalibur feel), but with as small as the logo will be on the cards, I don't know that it's worth the effort.

-----------------
I'm working through the edits that SirG posted and I wanted the group's input on some of the questions he had:
Quote:

Ash Williams
THE CHOSEN ONE
need to clarify this -- when does the round start? Do you want to know what's going to happen to his attack and defense before or after OMs are placed? before or after initiative is rolled?

Quote:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, regarding SLAYER'S STRENGTH
Just to be clear, if Buffy has height advantage on an adjacent non-Human figure with the Drain Life special power, she's rolling 7 attack dice, right? 3(base) + 2(non-Human) + 1(Drain Life) +1(height)
Once we get a consensus on these issues, I'll post the updated cards.

Edit: One more
Quote:

Agent Smith
ME TOO
If an Agent Smith figure you control destroys an opponent's small or medium figure, replace that figure immediately, if possible, with one of your previously destroyed Agent Smith figures. Newly placed Agent Smith figures cannot attack this turn.
Do we want to add this line to ME TOO? It would keep it consistent with similar abilites.

Also, once we resolve these, I'll start a separate thread as a display thread - unless there are objections.

mac122 August 24th, 2011 02:40 PM

Sorry for the double post, but moving back to Dr. Doolittle, here's how his card stands at the moment.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...RDOOLITTLE.png
I think we need some clarification on THE GOOD DOCTOR. Can he heal 1 Animal Hero or 2 or all that are adjacent? Since it's each turn, I think it should be limited to 1. Something like this:
Quote:

THE GOOD DOCTOR
At the end of his turn, choose 1 Unique Animal Hero adjacent to Dr. Doolittle and remove up to 2 wound markers from that Hero's Army Card.

Lamaclown August 24th, 2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1467703)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1467199)

I like where this is going. Nice job! I'd like the sword to be smaller/shorter so it doesn't stick out as far past the letters. I think the color is fine. It would be cool if they looked like they were carved from stone (brings in the whole Excalibur feel), but with as small as the logo will be on the cards, I don't know that it's worth the effort.

Thanks for the input, mac!
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c.../hoflogoxl.png
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...gosamplexl.jpg
Is this starting to look more like what you had in mind?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1467703)
-----------------
I'm working through the edits that SirG posted and I wanted the group's input on some of the questions he had:
Quote:

Ash Williams
THE CHOSEN ONE
need to clarify this -- when does the round start? Do you want to know what's going to happen to his attack and defense before or after OMs are placed? before or after initiative is rolled?
After OMs are placed but before rolling for initiative is my vote. It gives you a little more confidence knowing the risk is worth it. Also, if it is done before OMs are placed it may benefit your opponent's strategy in OM placement

Quote:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, regarding SLAYER'S STRENGTH
Just to be clear, if Buffy has height advantage on an adjacent non-Human figure with the Drain Life special power, she's rolling 7 attack dice, right? 3(base) + 2(non-Human) + 1(Drain Life) +1(height)
That is my take on it. Also, it should be LIFE DRAIN instead of DRAIN LIFE
Once we get a consensus on these issues, I'll post the updated cards.

Edit: One more
Quote:

Agent Smith
ME TOO
If an Agent Smith figure you control destroys an opponent's small or medium figure, replace that figure immediately, if possible, with one of your previously destroyed Agent Smith figures. Newly placed Agent Smith figures cannot attack this turn.
Do we want to add this line to ME TOO? It would keep it consistent with similar abilites.
Consistency with official ability language is always a good thing in my book
Also, once we resolve these, I'll start a separate thread as a display thread - unless there are objections.

My responses are bolded blue

Thanks for doing this, mac

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1467736)
Sorry for the double post, but moving back to Dr. Doolittle, here's how his card stands at the moment.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...RDOOLITTLE.png
I think we need some clarification on THE GOOD DOCTOR. Can he heal 1 Animal Hero or 2 or all that are adjacent? Since it's each turn, I think it should be limited to 1. Something like this:
Quote:

THE GOOD DOCTOR
At the end of his turn, choose 1 Unique Animal Hero adjacent to Dr. Doolittle and remove up to 2 wound markers from that Hero's Army Card.

Good 'ol Rex Harrison. Anyone who pictures Eddie Murphy over Rex when thinking of Dr. Dolittle is missing out. Good pic choice!

Good edit for the ability, mac. I agree that keeping it to one animal per turn is a good limiting factor.