Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Orange Lantern (Lex Luthor) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=47039)

quozl December 3rd, 2012 01:30 PM

Re: The Book of Orange Lantern (Lex Luthor) - VOTE for Playt

Down to LP or 7 hours.

Lord Pyre December 3rd, 2012 04:11 PM

Re: The Book of Orange Lantern (Lex Luthor) - VOTE for Playt

Yea

Sorry guys, I haven't really been all there these last few weeks either. :p

IAmBatman December 6th, 2012 12:35 AM

Re: The Book of Orange Lantern (Lex Luthor) - Playtesting

With the direction the [redacted] have gone in, would we be open to considering another class here at all? I fear the combo might be more powerful than we'd prefer.

quozl December 6th, 2012 12:39 AM

What do you think about Kleptomaniac for the OL's?

johnny139 December 6th, 2012 12:50 AM

I think Thief is a bit TOO perfect for Larfleeze (and not a major concern since his biggest power is Order Marker contingent)... but for Lex, I think something like "Antagonist" would work. His role in Blackest Night is pretty much just greedy all-around jerkface so, yeah.

IAmBatman December 6th, 2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quozl (Post 1725509)
What do you think about Kleptomaniac for the OL's?

I'd be OK with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny139 (Post 1725511)
I think Thief is a bit TOO perfect for Larfleeze (and not a major concern since his biggest power is Order Marker contingent)... but for Lex, I think something like "Antagonist" would work. His role in Blackest Night is pretty much just greedy all-around jerkface so, yeah.

I'd also be OK with that. :-)

quozl December 6th, 2012 12:00 PM

We interrupt this class discussion to bring you the 1st public playtest:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibechief
C3G STANDARD PLAYTEST FEEDBACK FORM

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT (
Orange Lantern Lex Luthor)

- THEME TEST/ Check to see if there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that does not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character would and could do. Also consider destructible objects, and whether or not this characters powers should affect them.
Pass.

- MIRROR TEST/ Check to see if the unit were played against itself, if there would be any loops that would upset the balance of the Game.
Pass.

- BONDING TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing Bonding abilities to make sure there are no continual Bonding possibilities that do not stop appropriately or do not stop at all. This is to prevent loops in Bonding.
Pass.

- SYNERGIES TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing synergies to make sure there are no factors that could break the game by making any unit to powerful or too weak.
Pass.

- POWER CHECK/ Consider the test unit and all existing units and all glyphs to compare to and check for any powers that could be over amplified and break the game. Each power must define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and What are the stipulations on the power if there are any.
Pass. Because his normal attack is boosted by Orange Power Battery 3 and he is able to gain bonuses from height/glyphs/synergy, Orange Lantern can dish out seriously high double attacks against figures that carry permanent glyphs. If the conditions are right the attack dice can climb to 10 dice and you get a second attack!

- FUN TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play.
Pass.

- FUN COMPETITIVE TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play against.
Pass.

- DRAFTING TEST/ Consider whether or not this design is worth drafting.
Pass. But only in large armies where the enemy or player has enough points to draft a few glyph carrying figures. A standard map with only 1 glyph or 2 would not support his cost.

- USAGE TEST/ Consider whether or not all of the powers on this card were used or at least usable.
Pass. If the armies contain no figures that start the game with glyphs and the map does not feature a standard glyph Avarice Aggression would not be usable

- STRATEGY TEST/ Consider whether or not the design offers any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game.
Pass.
----------------------------------------------

Army Test

- Does it pass
, Yes or No? Yes.
- What should be the unit's point value? 320-330.
- Give a brief overview. Constant trigger of Master Motivator combined with healing from the Cosmic Cube allowed Annihilus, and Orange Lex to run havoc on the opposing army. Multiple Men did the blocking to keep Shadow Theif and the other units designed to steal Glyphs away from Red Skull while the battle raged.
Map: Embattled Fen.
Units: Orange Lantern Lex Luthor, Red Skull C3G, Annihilus, Destiny, and 9 x Multiple Man (1255) vs Mandarin, Scarecrow, Ventriloquist, Black Cat, Yellowjacket, Batman II, Vulture, Shadow Thief, and Chronos (1250).
Random Glyph: Glyph of Super Speed
Spoiler Alert!

I wanted this first test to show how Orange Lex works as a design when there is no shortage of glyphs and lots of allies to keep the attention of enemy figures while he waits for the proper time to attack. Orange Lex with full battery markers and height has a devastating attack that when used properly against a defending figure with glyphs can feel overpowering. However I did notice that his second attack is rarely utilized. If he scores even 1 wound on the first attack the Glyph is removed and the second attack's condition trigger is no longer met. So he is only ever going to get the second attack when fighting figures with permanent glyph abilities or those figures who do not lose glyphs from wounds (in most cases). This makes him worth much less in this aspect.

This battle was a blowout. Running Multiple Men as blockers and using Red Skull to Motivate allowed Orange Lex's army way more activations that it knew what to do with. Cosmic Cube kept them all healed up and the number of Glyphs present were so in favor is Orange Lex it was not even funny. He one shot Mandarin and after that the game was done. Clever use of designs robbed Annihilus of his Control Rod early on but the Cube kept him up. Fighting an army like this was an Orange Lex fantasy. Now that I know what the best of the best is I'll test him with no glyphs on the field. See if he lives up to those points.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? with Annihilus (2 wound Markers and Glyph of Makluan Electromagnetic Rings), Orange Lantern Lex Luthor (2 wounds and Glyph of Makluan Energy Rings), Red Skull (full life and Glyph of Cosmic Cube), Destiny (full life), and Multiple Man x 6.

Army Test
- Does it pass
, Yes or No
? Yes. In a battle with no glyphs I feel like this design doesn't earn his points.
- What should be the unit's point value? 320.
- Give a brief overview. Orange Lex and Wizard battle out against Deadpool and his trusty fanboy Bob, while their temporary ally Punisher scours the map for people on his hit list. Punisher goes down like a brick. Bob and Wizard die off leaving Deadpool and Orange Lex at full life to face it off. Deadpool takes the easy win finishing the fight with full life left.
Map: Embattled Fen.
Units: Orange Lantern Lex Luthor, Wizard (490) vs Deadpool, Bob, Punisher (490).
Spoiler Alert!

This is a test to see the result of a situation that is less than optimal for Orange Lantern Lex Luthor. There are no glyphs on the board and no member of either army starts the game with glyphs. The figures are all ranged, most with double attacks. The double attacks force Orange Lex to sacrifice his Markers for Reflection to survive would be devastating assaults. Like all lantern designs this eventually lowers his defense and offense below survivable levels. In this particular battle high was maintained by both armies for equal amounts of time. Wizard and Bob lasted a while and did some wounds but ultimately the field was only populated with a full life Deadpool and a full life Orange Lantern Lex. Deadpool easily defeated Orange Lantern Lex by forcing Marker removal during double attacks. Lex almost killed Deadpool once but had to use a Reflective Marker to drop him to that 1 last hit point. Since many battlefields will have little to no glyphs rolling about I think Orange Lantern Lex, while providing lots of strategy, is just not worth his points. I would like to see him lowered to 320-330. Hal Jordan has an extra Green power maker giving him +1 range, move, attack, and defense. While Orange Shield Reflection is effective against low life figures and hard to hit units I do not think it could be used to well strategically since you lose so much in the form of statistics for each use. Avarice Aggression is just way to hit or miss to be of much consideration as well. Making his comparison to Hal Jordan for points way off. Very fun to play though with lots of options. This design really makes you bit your lip when you pick to roll or drop a marker, and when you do get to use Avarice aggression you feel like a god among children.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? Deadpool with full life.

quozl December 6th, 2012 03:21 PM

I'm guessing the 10 dice he's talking about is height (7 dice) + Cap Ap and others that give attack bonuses.

IAmBatman December 6th, 2012 03:44 PM

Heh. Reading the Power Check response and then the Drafting Response back-to-back is kind of interesting. :-P

Hahma December 6th, 2012 04:05 PM

Yeah, "he's super powerful, but not draftable unless there are a bunch of glyphs equipped." :)

quozl December 7th, 2012 12:23 PM

Chief's 2nd test added now.

IAmBatman December 7th, 2012 06:45 PM

Well if he's only coming in at 10 points under when there are no glyphs on the battlefield, that's much less situational than some figures we have. :-) I'd still consider that highly draftable.

Edit: Are we sticking with Thief here, or switching to Antagonist? If it's the former, I'll run a couple of army tests with the [redacted] this weekend.