Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Events (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Louisville, KY Events: April 11 Heated Chaos of the Battle (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56452)

lefton4ya December 31st, 2019 02:48 PM

Louisville, KY Events: April 11 Heated Chaos of the Battle

Thanks to @MegaSilver and @NecroBlade for all your past endeavors, but @Viideosayg and I will now be running events in Lousville. I am an out-of-towner, so Viideosayg will be handling logistics of booking and time, but we will collectively come up with format and run, taking in input form others. Tournaments will be ~roughly bi-monthly to help shore up attendance. We will be scheduling around Dayton events as well, maybe we can get some people from each location to visit each others' tournaments.

Unless specified the new location we will play at will be:
Through the Decades
1951 S Hurstbourne Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40220

Store opens at 11 so we can start set-up at opening and games promptly at Noon. Plus no table fees! We will probably do an entry fee for gift certificate at least the first tournament, so that they appreciate us and welcome us back.

Second tournament is April 11, 2020.

Heated Chaos of the Battle

It is based off a combo of Heat of the Battle (Place your figures anywhere) and Chaos of the Battle (Place opponent figures anywhere)

Rules:
Each participant will bring one army of a maximum of 480 points and 20 figures that will be played by you EVERY ROUND. C3V/SoV allowed, no Marvel.

There is no starting zone for each map. Instead, at the start of each game, players take turns placing one card's worth of units of your OR your opponent's army. Go back and forth between both players until all units are placed. All units must be placed unengaged on an empty space (i.e. not on glyphs). All squad figures placed in a turn must be within 3 clear sight spaces of each other. After placement, order marker placement and initiative is done as usual in the first round.

As games might go faster or quicker, this is "rolling rumble", but hopefully we get at least 6 players.

Maps:
A Couple Puddles (RotV, RttFF, Marvel)
https://www.heroscapers.com/download...les1.2_t58.png

Additional Smaller maps TBA from Scraps, Quick Set-Up & Build, or MOPS.

Glyphs, Treasure Glyphs and Trap:
Normal Glyphs: Gencon pool, 0-2 glyphs per map.
Treasure Glyphs: Gencon pool
Treasure Trap: Teleport - If you set off a trap, have an opponent place your figure anywhere of their choosing within 5 clear sight spaces of the glyph.

lefton4ya December 31st, 2019 02:56 PM

Re: Louisville, KY Events 2020 Through the Decades - Feb 1

Past events:

February 1, 2020: Worst Army!
Spoiler Alert!

Brewster January 4th, 2020 04:17 AM

Really fun looking format, a shame I won't be able to make it. I'm still keeping my eyes open so I can come join you guys!

NecroBlade January 5th, 2020 05:21 PM

Sounds fun. Thanks for taking this up. :)

lefton4ya January 8th, 2020 04:48 PM

Upped Mercenary army to 110 and allowed C3V/SoV as there are some interesting combinations with that.

Trying to get a feel for attendance: @MegaSilver , @NecroBlade , @Viideosayg , @Phantom , @Mr_Chompy , @Arrow Grut , @Deroche , @Koolster25 , @ThugMisting

Dayton/Cincinnati/Indiana: @outforblood @Brewster @coachmuskie @TheAverageFan @Marduk @Archkyrie11 @Mr. Mackie @Richard @princiefuqua @Father Of Julian @Big Oldprankster

Further out: @Tiamat @wargamingaddict87 @Chill @flameslayer93 @GUILD_WARRIOR @TradeMark @wargamingaddict87

Deroche January 8th, 2020 05:06 PM

Wow...I can't believe how much fun this sounds like!

I think I'm free that day, so tentatively put me down as a yes for now.

TheAverageFan January 8th, 2020 06:05 PM

What happens if your mercenary army has the same Unique unit that your opponent's army includes (i.e. you end up with two squads of Nakita Agents or something)?

~TAF, will have to see if he can get off work to attend

lefton4ya January 8th, 2020 06:20 PM

@TheAverageFan I though of that but did not address. It is very unlikely that will happen as you will pick the WORST units for opponent (Nakita Agents is 120 btw so is not possible). Maybe Brandis Skyhunter or Sir Denrick would be possible exceptions as they are generally not good so might be in opponent army of someone, but might be a good mercenary if you build your opponent's army with fliers or Huge figures, respectively.

In the unlikely event it happens you can play against rules and have multiples of the same, and treat as uncommon heroes (or hypothetically 2 unique squads marked per card to keep separate).

Arrow Grut January 8th, 2020 11:15 PM

Solid maybe! Date is open, just depends on if I can get my hands on my figures before then... Regardless, I should be able to attend a lot of these.

outforblood January 9th, 2020 02:24 PM

Interesting format!

Sorry David, I won't be able to make it down to Louisville that day. My band will be in the studio that weekend. Good luck with the tournament!

GUILD_WARRIOR January 9th, 2020 10:05 PM

sorry David Louisville is a little out of my area. Hopefully I can get a tourney site for March in Findlay. Maybe I'll see you there.

NecroBlade January 11th, 2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deroche (Post 2341592)
Wow...I can't believe how much fun this sounds like!

I think I'm free that day, so tentatively put me down as a yes for now.

Is it too late to change my vote?

Phantom January 12th, 2020 01:00 PM

I'm in

Arrow Grut January 12th, 2020 06:16 PM

Marro Warriors might be too strong as an add-on. Otherwise I really, really like that component!

lefton4ya January 12th, 2020 10:44 PM

See bottom of the list on the C3V/SoV-inclusive Power Rankings for army ideas. However although we will see a lot of C and below, think about the meta. My guess is The Einar Imperium & Grok Riders could actually do really well as most of the units being played will be Melee, so their ranking goes up substantially. Even Shades of Bleakewoode can theoretically do well in this format against mostly melee and so many crappy unique heroes. And also bonding heroes without the bonding squads, such as Sir Denrick & Hawthorne or Arashara Goshiri, are a lot lower ranked. But don't just follow my advice - just getting yall to "re-rank" figures in your mind for this tournament. Also look at the Classic League: Special Event - Worst Christmas Gift Ever armies and battle results to see how they fare (although they do not allow C3V/SoV or have mercinaries). From the compiled list of units, the top played units are:
Sahaugin Raider, Acolarh, Ashigaru Yari, Kyntella Gwyn, Sudema, Deathwalker 7000, Kelda, Morsbane, Shiori, and Marro Drudge.

Big Oldprankster January 14th, 2020 11:05 AM

David
Sorry I can’t make it down that day for your event.

lefton4ya January 29th, 2020 02:48 PM

Added Maps, Glpyhs, and Traps. Hoping to see everyone soon! If you have not picked an army, look at the Classic League: Special Event - Worst Christmas Gift Ever armies and battle results (especially my my comment there) and the C3V/SoV-inclusive Power Rankings to pick the bottom of the barrel for opponents, and then a mercenary that best counters that army.

El Diabolo January 29th, 2020 06:16 PM

I'm going to make this. Need to borrow some figures... Definitely Zetacron and the Tarn...

Can the Hive be used?

lefton4ya January 29th, 2020 06:23 PM

The Hive can be used but you would need to have a small or medium common marro squad (2+ copies) in an army with it - Marro Drudge, or Gnids would be "good" (AKA bad) - you could instead include Marro Drones but would need at least 3 copies. Post what you need or PM me and you can borrow (I do not have Zetacron sadly, though) and I will allow proxies.

Arrow Grut January 29th, 2020 07:16 PM

Can I proxy a Stinger or Drudge for a Marro Warrior? One of mine decided to go off and break...

lefton4ya January 30th, 2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrow Grut (Post 2345424)
Can I proxy a Stinger or Drudge for a Marro Warrior? One of mine decided to go off and break...

Proxies are OK but I can let you borrow as well. BTW just a suggestion but I would not let someone play with Marro Warriors as they are pretty good (2nd best Unique Squad in the game after KMA which are banned), I could see in your Mercenary army though.

P.S. I have most C3V figures so if anyone wanst to borrow figs let me know. Suggestions:
Major J15 against Grok Riders or Templar Calvary
Ulfrid Hornwrangler against really low life/defense units
Van Nessing against undead/Hybrid
53rd NC Sharpshooters, Quorik Warwitch or Tyrian against slow melee
Rygarn is a good mercenary with the crappy smorgasbord you will have.
Darkprowl, Deathstrike, & Preyblood Thralls (need 3+ total) are pretty bad without Nicholas Esenwein
Cxurg'gyath and a Mindflayer Mastermind might be a large waste of points
Red Ants of Aunstrom, Tomb Skeletons, Tomb Skeleton Archers, Command Courier, Crypt Guardian, and Achillean Gladiatrix are all bad if you only have 2 cards worth and no support.

El Diabolo January 30th, 2020 10:08 PM

Ok... More to borrow:
Elite Onyx Vipers
Kozuke
Izumi
Shiori
Kee-mo-shi
Otanashi

Thanks in advance!

lefton4ya January 31st, 2020 05:52 PM

@Arrow Grut & @El Diabolo
I'll bring my stuff so you can borrow or proxy any army you can think of.

Deroche February 1st, 2020 02:40 AM

I'm going to proxy a squad of monks and a Kyntela Gwyn unless someone can bring them.

Won't be bringing a map this time, hopefully we have enough.

lefton4ya February 1st, 2020 11:14 AM

Bringing all my figs. Running late be there by 11:30. Will need help building maps.
See y’all soon!

Deroche February 2nd, 2020 01:13 PM

Five players (six if you count the kid playing tutorial games against whoever got the bye).

Pros:

Another good way to play units from our collections that were collecting dust

Seemed like every single person in the game store came over to ask "What game is that?"

I won

Cons:

Gen Con glyphs are apparently used for a reason: Other glyphs can by far influence the outcome of a game more than any other factor ... +2 Defense glyph? I'm not a fan if my army doesn't own it

No Arrow Grut :(

I won

Arrow Grut February 2nd, 2020 04:52 PM

Sorry all; 50th birthday party came up. I'll keep my eye out for the next one!

Deroche February 3rd, 2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrow Grut (Post 2346796)
Sorry all; 50th birthday party came up. I'll keep my eye out for the next one!

You're 50?

That's the worst lie/excuse I've ever heard. No way you're over 45.

lefton4ya February 3rd, 2020 11:45 PM

Thanks everyone for coming. I think the army format was good, but both the OP glyph pool and the Fire Swamp map I think detracted. Do like the venue - maybe next time I'l buy some baseball cards there ;) But actually if we play regularly there maybe we'll get some new blood.

I know people were mentioning coming up with some kind of magic-style draft format for next time, please post here if you have ideas on it. However another idea I had to vary the armies people bring while still having no army restrictions is maybe just doing heat-of-the-battle (2.0 where you place your opponent's figures) and/or maps with split starting zones overlapping each other. We could also play on smaller maps such as Scraps, Quick Set-Up & Build, or MOPS and combine with Heat-of-Battle set-up. Post thoughts on small maps, magic-style draft, or other ideas (maybe just go back to classic format).

Also I think bi-monthly is good, so let us know if you can do Mar 28, April 4, or April 11 good for you all? Then @Viideosayg can check on venue availability.

Phantom February 10th, 2020 06:30 PM

Even though I brought the "worst", worst army I had a lot of fun. Thank for organizing it.

Any of the three dates you listed works for me, April 4th slightly less, but Heroscape takes priority over most things if I'm in town! :)

NecroBlade February 15th, 2020 07:36 PM

Probably April 4/11 for me.

For the draft, here's what I was thinking. Ideal for 4 players, can be adjusted for more.
  • Each player gets 3 "packs" one at a time. Each "pack" has cards = # players.
  • Each pack consists of card on roughly the same power level (so all 100-ish-point Heroes for example).
  • In general, the overall power level would probably be lower-tier, but individual packs could be stronger, as long as each card is about the same level.
  • Optional: one pack is Heroes, one Common Squads, and one Unique Squads (I like this because it diversifies the units, yet keeps each army's composition similar).
  • Each Common card drafted puts two of that Common in your army.
  • Everyone simultaneously picks one card that will go to the player on their left.
  • Then one card for the player on their right.
  • Then one for the player across from them, and they keep the final card themselves.
  • This order allows you to try to hold counter-drafts in reserve for yourself, as all picks are public and you can see army composition develop.
  • Repeat for all 3 packs. Now everyone has their army and play as normal.
  • If using the above "optional" point, each army should consist of 1 Hero, 1 Unique Squad, 2x one Common Squad.
  • Can do additional packs, like another Hero or another Common, depending on desired army size/rough point total.

lefton4ya February 17th, 2020 12:13 PM

I think I get it. If people brought the armies it would be similar armies to last time where you bring one good part of the army and rest bad to hand off - unless we come up with armies ahead of time. If more than 4 players you would just make army for three people. Only thing I don't get is if you bring [3] packs than you will have 4 * [3] different cards.

How about this alternative:
Each person brings 3 army pods, totaling 420-440 points:
  • 195-225 points of common squads (3-5 squads of once card)
  • 100-120 point of Unique Hero
  • 100-120 points of anything
We dice off to see which pod will go left, which will be handed right, and which you will keep.
  • 1st round pass what you bought for chosen pod to the left
  • 2nd round pass what you bought for chosen pod to the right
  • You keep what you have left
Don't know if we should do one draft for whole tournament or per game. If per game, we would vary direction of the three pods and I think would be more fun, but takes more time. With 1/3 chance of keeping each POD people will bring not so good figures (but not as bad as last tournament), but it does loose the counter-draft of your original idea.

Anyone else got a more clear idea?

Tornado March 3rd, 2020 04:41 PM

Going to be in the area in June. Suggestions on places to check out?

Viideosayg March 9th, 2020 07:03 PM

So is April 11th the date that we're going for is there still some debate?

lefton4ya March 10th, 2020 05:59 PM

Hes let's do April 11, as there is a Dayton, OH. Tournament SATURDAY APRIL 4TH. For format I was thinking of next time maybe doing Magic Style (once format is formalized) but this time just doing Heat of the Battle with smaller maps, such as Scraps, Quick Set-Up & Build, or MOPS. @dok has mentioned the online tournament organizers are toying with the below rules for Heat of the Battle and I think it is pretty good - what do you all think?
Quote:

Players take turns placing one card's worth of units of your OR your opponent's army. Go back and forth between both players until all units are placed. All units must be placed unengaged on an empty space (i.e. not on glyphs). All squad figures placed in a turn must be within 3 clear sight spaces of each other.
The unengaged is the only thing I am debating, as if I pick smaller maps it might get to a point where there is no valid placements, and going back and forth might lead to some interesting placements. I was thinking ~500 points armies but I think games will go a lot quicker.

dok March 10th, 2020 06:32 PM

Unengaged is critical. In the pre-2009 days before that rule, it was a very degenerate metagame dominated by WoA.

It's pretty much impossible to make placement impossible unless you're both playing 24 hex armies and you are basically cooperating to make it happen (painting alternating stripes of units). Even on smaller maps like Fossil it's not happening. Try it out, or just trust me. :)

NecroBlade March 13th, 2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefton4ya (Post 2350118)
I think I get it. If people brought the armies it would be similar armies to last time where you bring one good part of the army and rest bad to hand off - unless we come up with armies ahead of time. If more than 4 players you would just make army for three people. Only thing I don't get is if you bring [3] packs than you will have 4 * [3] different cards.

How about this alternative:
Each person brings 3 army pods, totaling 420-440 points:
  • 195-225 points of common squads (3-5 squads of once card)
  • 100-120 point of Unique Hero
  • 100-120 points of anything
We dice off to see which pod will go left, which will be handed right, and which you will keep.
  • 1st round pass what you bought for chosen pod to the left
  • 2nd round pass what you bought for chosen pod to the right
  • You keep what you have left
Don't know if we should do one draft for whole tournament or per game. If per game, we would vary direction of the three pods and I think would be more fun, but takes more time. With 1/3 chance of keeping each POD people will bring not so good figures (but not as bad as last tournament), but it does loose the counter-draft of your original idea.

Anyone else got a more clear idea?

I could see this as a simpler alternative. I see no reason to keep re-drafting each round with either format; a single draft a the beginning should be good enough.

Viideosayg March 19th, 2020 04:19 PM

Re: Louisville, KY Events: April 11 Heated Chaos of the Batt

I've already asked about April 11th for our tournament but I figured I'd ask what we want to do (if anything) about coronavirus and social distancing and all that?

lefton4ya March 19th, 2020 05:12 PM

I say wait till early April to call it. I know CDC recommended 8 weeks but it may change (better/worse) in the next few weeks.

NecroBlade March 29th, 2020 09:13 AM

I say we just get some of these to move our figures around, and use the honor system for dice rolls from 6+ feet away that your opponent can't see.

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/H079f9d1a...e8fabb4edR.jpg

lefton4ya March 30th, 2020 05:10 PM

https://i.imgur.com/9ZOgqGO.png
Probably best at this point to cancel - not even sure if sore is open or allows tournaments.

NecroBlade March 31st, 2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefton4ya (Post 2363435)
not even sure if sore is open

Yeah please don't come to this with open sores...

Phantom April 2nd, 2020 07:42 PM

you know you are going stir crazy in quarantine when you are listening to a heroscape podcast, but several local/Louisville members are mentioned at the ~1:16 mark!

https://castersofvalhalla.wixsite.co...LR3eMlZfLDwOLg

and it's neat to listen to William talk about a few different figures and strategies

Viideosayg April 7th, 2020 11:27 PM

If we didnt come up we with this separately already TTD is closed (and probably any other store we could play at). And I personally wont be coming to the event if we do decide to have it.

NecroBlade April 8th, 2020 04:38 PM

Same. Not doing anything like this until an all-clear.

lefton4ya April 14th, 2021 02:19 PM

Hey all. When do you all think you'd be willing to come if we restarted Louisville tournaments? My view is if most people who come are vaccinated (and all at risk people in your immediate family/friend group are as well) we should be good to go. I just got my 1st shot and second one is mid-may, but my thought is most people will be ready by June or July at the latest, but any other thoughts?

NecroBlade April 14th, 2021 06:06 PM

Thanks for the bump. I'm hoping we can at least get something together to take Matthias up on his offer, but happy to have events running more regularly again once everyone is safe.

Phantom June 17th, 2021 11:02 PM

I was hoping to get together and play some games before the ScapeCon rolls around.
Louisville seems to have finally opened up everywhere.