Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=48029)

A3n March 17th, 2013 08:40 PM

The Book of Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)

The Book of Blue Beetle

C3G DC WAVE 20
BATTLE FOR JUSTICE

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...-Ted_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...e-Ted_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Hypertime set.
Its model number and name are #055-057 / Blue Beetle.
Its model number and name are #139 / Ted Kord.

Character Bio - Investigating the secrets Ted's uncle, Jarvis Kord, kept from him whilst working on a project together. Ted discovered that Jarvis had created an army of super-androids for which he intended to conquer the world. Kord recruited Dr. Garrett and they traveled to Jarvis' island hideout where Garrett used his sacred scarab to become the Blue Beetle, battling the super-androids. In the battle Jarvis was killed and Garrett mortally wounded.

Realizing death was near, Garrett made Kord promise that he would carry on the legacy of the Blue Beetle. Before Kord could evacuate the hero from his uncle's underground layer it collapsed burying Garrett and his sacred scarab beneath tons of rubble.

Ted Kord vowed that he would carry on the legacy of the Blue Beetle without the sacred scarab and set about training himself physically and using his technical expertise to design and build an arsenal to carry out his fight for justice as the Blue Beetle.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: Does Blue Beetle count toward startzone figure limits?
  • A: Yes. All figures in your army count toward your figure limit, even if they do not begin the game in the startzone or on the battlefield.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A

-Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses-

Immunities
  • N/A
Benefits
  • N/A
Weaknesses_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-Card Updates:
7 March 2021 - Class changed to Scientist

A3n March 17th, 2013 08:40 PM

Re: The Book of Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) - Design Phase

NAME = BLUE BEETLE
SECRET IDENTITY = TED KORD

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = SCIENTIST
PERSONALITY = DISCIPLINED

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 4

POINTS = 160

BUG DROP
Blue Beetle does not start the game on the battlefield. If Blue Beetle has not been placed on the battlefield this game, after revealing a numbered Order Marker on an Army Card you control, instead of taking a turn with that card, you may place Blue Beetle on any unoccupied space within 6 spaces of any figure from that Army Card and take a turn with Blue Beetle.

STRATEGIC SHOT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 4.
Choose a non-adjacent figure to attack. All figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by this special attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Affected figures roll defense dice separately. One at a time, roll the 20-sided die for each figure that received one or more wounds from this attack. If you roll 16 or higher, remove one unrevealed Order Marker at random from that figure's Army Card.

BEETLE GUN STROBE EFFECT
If Blue Beetle is attacked by an opponent’s figure and at least one skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-12, roll defense dice normally. If you roll 13 or higher and the attacking figure was a squad figure, Blue Beetle takes no damage and that figure's turn ends. If you roll 13 or higher and the attacking figure was a Hero figure, Blue Beetle takes no damage and the attacking figure may not attack for the remainder of the round.

Hahma March 17th, 2013 09:00 PM

Like Bug Drop :up:

Like Beetle Gun Strobe Effect :up:

From the comics of him that I have, I'm not sure he's a 5 attack/5 defense guy. He didn't seem much special to me compared to some others like Huntress, Elektra, DD and the like. Maybe he's new and improved since then :shrug:

Beetle Gun Special Attack
seems a little less than elegant :p Not to mention, if you move a figure off the top of a roof, are they still rolling defense when they are out of LOS? Should this attack give automatic knockback into lava or off height, when others require a wound to be inflicted first, or a d20?

Scapemage March 17th, 2013 09:16 PM

:D I've literally been waiting years for this guy!

5 Defense I can see, but 5 Attack does seem high. Although, I do notice you turned his gun into a special attack instead of giving him base range, so I can see it.

The special attack seems a bit complicated. Maybe it's just the wording.

IAmBatman March 17th, 2013 09:17 PM

I agree that I love the Drop power, like the Strobe power well enough, would prefer to see the stats dropped (4/4?), and don't care for the special attack as currently worded.

IAmBatman March 17th, 2013 09:19 PM

Honestly, with Bug Drop and the Strobe Gun, I really wouldn't be against Range 5, Attack 4 and Double Attack on this guy instead of the special attack. Might just be me, though. :shrug:

Scapemage March 17th, 2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1782813)
Honestly, with Bug Drop and the Strobe Gun, I really wouldn't be against Range 5, Attack 4 and Double Attack on this guy instead of the special attack. Might just be me, though. :shrug:

I don't feel that Double Attack is thematic here however. If we gave him base range, I'd still like to see some sort of mechanic worked into a special attack or power.

Also, he seems more like an Adventurer than a Crime Fighter to me. Why Booster Gold is a Champion still baffles me, since these two guys are idolized as fantastic adventurers.

IAmBatman March 17th, 2013 09:34 PM

The current special attack feels forced here to me. I'm not even completely sure what it's trying to represent.

I'm fine with Kord as Crime Fighter, Adventurer, or Scientist. I think any would fit.

A3n March 17th, 2013 09:45 PM

For the stats, he is Batman in a blue beetle suit, so I was just using the same stats. They basically have the same sort of training & same sort of resources.

The Bettle gun as an offensive weapon shoots high-powered compressed air that knocks them back & unconscious. I thought the power covered the theme nicely. :shrug:

A3n March 17th, 2013 09:49 PM

I am trying to capture him in his own career, not when he was with Booster or the JL.

Booster is a champion because I was capturing him also in his own career when he was time traveling & correcting the time stream. He basically was champion of the earth, it's just nobody knew it. ;)

IAmBatman March 17th, 2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 1782848)
For the stats, he is Batman in a blue beetle suit, so I was just using the same stats. They basically have the same sort of training & same sort of resources.

The Bettle gun as an offensive weapon shoots high-powered compressed air that knocks them back & unconscious. I thought the power covered the theme nicely. :shrug:

Come on, though, he's not on Batman's level as a fighter.

Maybe it's just the wording that's killing the special attack for me. Also, when you say it knocks them unconscious, that screams OM removal for me.

IAmBatman March 17th, 2013 09:55 PM

Looking at precedent from current powers, I'd go with something like this, personally:

BEETLE GUN SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 4.
Choose a figure to attack. All figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by this special attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Affected figures roll defense dice separately. If Blue Beetle inflicts one or more wounds on a small or medium figure with this special attack, you may choose to place that figure on any space within one space of its original placement. A figure moved by this special attack never takes any leaving engagement attacks and cannot be placed closer to Blue Beetle than its original placement. A figure moved by this special attack can receive any falling damage that may apply. After all affected figures have been placed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 16 or higher, remove one unrevealed Order Marker at random from each affected figure's Army Card.