Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   The Book of Vulcanmech Incendiborgs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=41586)

infectedsloth June 6th, 2012 04:11 PM

The Book of Vulcanmech Incendiborgs

The Book of Vulcanmech Incendiborgs

C3V Wave 2 - Age of Chaos - Dwarf and Soulborgs

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...2_original.jpg

The printer-friendly PDF

The figures used for this unit are AT-43 figures from the Red Blok set.
The name of the figure is Strielitz Kolossus Unit Box.

Character Bio:

Spoiler Alert!

Redundant Systems
Start the game with 3 Redundant Systems markers on this army card. After a Vulcanmech Incendiborg receives one or more wounds, you may remove 1 Redundant Systems marker form this card to ignore all wounds.

Flamethrower Special Attack
Range Special. Attack 4.
A Vulcanmech Incendiborg that does not attack normally may use Flamethrower Special Attack. Choose 2 spaces in a straight line from the attacking Vulcanmech Incendiborg. All figures on those spaces that are in line of sight are affected by Flamethrower Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

-Rulings and Clarifications-

Flamethrower Special Attack.
Q: If a Vulcanmech Incendiborg is engaged and wants to use the Flamethower Special Attack, must the first hex of whichever fire-line he chooses include an engaged enemy figure?
A: Yes, if a Vulcanmech Incendiborg is engaged, the first figure attacked must be adjacent to that attacking Vulcanmech Incendiborg.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received:
- KHOSUMET THE DARKLORD : Relentless Assault
Having a Relentless personality, Vulcanmech Incendiborgs may benefit from Khosumet the Darklord’s RELENTLESS ASSAULT attack bonus.

EXECUTIONER 616 : Remote Detonation
Vulcanmech Incendiborgs can be exploded by Executioner 616.
Synergy Benefits Offered:

KNIGHTS OF BLACKGAARD : Relentless Army Attack Bonus
As Relentless figures, Vulcanmech Incendiborgs may be included in an army with Knights of Blackgaard without negating their attack bonus.
-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
TBA

-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Ranking and Master Index

Sculpt poll: Vulcanmech Incendiborgs

Vulcanmech Incendiborgs
- If they can work their way to high ground before their markers are gone, they will often dominate the game. A

Unit Strategy Review

TBA

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...cendiborgs.jpg

infectedsloth June 6th, 2012 04:12 PM

Re: The Book of Vulcanmech Incendiborgs

My first attempt at a "Book", so let me know if I missed anything.

awesomeunleashed June 6th, 2012 04:23 PM

Probably want to make it "Age" of Chaos. Also, Redundant Systems is missing its last period and "does" is spelled incorrectly in FTSA. :p

I need to get my hands on these, if only because I'm skeptical of thier super-high cost...

ZBeeblebrox June 6th, 2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed (Post 1621765)
Probably want to make it "Age" of Chaos. Redundant Systems is missing its last period and "does" is spelled incorrectly in FTSA. :p

I need to get my hands on these, if only because I'm skeptical of thier super-high cost...

You can always proxy first if you are skeptical. ;)

Bothi June 6th, 2012 04:37 PM

*Snip*

I was wrong, don't know how to delete post D:

cmgames June 6th, 2012 05:49 PM

The Flamethrower wording leaves it open to interpretation, but it may warrant clarification JIC. If a Vulcanmech Incendiborg is engaged and wants to use the Flamethower SA, must the first hex of whichever fire-line he chooses include an engaged enemy figure?

~Z

Anitar June 6th, 2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmgames (Post 1621835)
The Flamethrower wording leaves it open to interpretation, but it may warrant clarification JIC. If a Vulcanmech Incendiborg is engaged and wants to use the Flamethower SA, must the first hex of whichever fire-line he chooses include an engaged enemy figure?

~Z

Same as Mimring and Rhogar: yes.

rym June 6th, 2012 07:04 PM

Am I correct in assuming that, where the Flamethrower SA states "2 spaces", the limiting factor is LOS? Meaning, if a figure was 12 hexes away, but in a straight line from the base of the Vulcanmech, and the Vulcanmech could see the figure, then I could attack that figure (and obviously another figure adjacent to the first figure, if one so happened to be there)?

If so, then that power totally rocks and certainly justifies their (the Incendiborgs) high point cost.

Kudos on a pretty cool unit, guys. ;)

MegaBunnySuicide June 6th, 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rym (Post 1621876)
Am I correct in assuming that, where the Flamethrower SA states "2 spaces", the limiting factor is LOS? Meaning, if a figure was 12 hexes away, but in a straight line from the base of the Vulcanmech, and the Vulcanmech could see the figure, then I could attack that figure (and obviously another figure adjacent to the first figure, if one so happened to be there)?

If so, then that power totally rocks and certainly justifies their (the Incendiborgs) high point cost.

As the power says in the part that's in bold below it is only 2 space from the attacking figure not how you were suggesting.

Quote:

Range Special. Attack 4.
A Vulcanmech Incendiborg that does not attack normally may use Flamethrower Special Attack. Choose 2 spaces in a straight line from the attacking Vulcanmech Incendiborg. All figures on those spaces that are in line of sight are affected by Flamethrower Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

dok June 6th, 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Nope; as Anitar said, it's the adjacent space and the next one, just like Rhogar and Mimring (who use the same phrasing).

I understand the skepticism about the price tag. It might help to think of them like a unique hero with triple attack and 6 life, only they can't suffer more than one wound in any attack, and they start to lose attacks hydra-style after the fourth wound. Do you see how that can be pretty good? While these guys are not quite as potent as the other 180 point large soulborg option that's out there, they are very dangerous.

Anitar June 6th, 2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

It says
Quote:

2 spaces away from the attacking Incendiborg
Like Fire Line (and Dragon Breath), the limiting factor is whether those two spaces are right next to the 'borg.

Seriously people, we've had powers like this before...

cmgames June 6th, 2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anitar (Post 1621840)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmgames (Post 1621835)

~Z

Same as Mimring and Rhogar: yes.

I knew it would work that way, but I went and checked the Books of Mimring & Rhogar and the FAQ, and neither one clarified this question up front. I did find it buried on page 9 of The Book of Mimring, but that is the sort of clarification I think should be right up front.

I haven't actually read the wording of Mimring's Fire Line SA in years, so when I read this card I thought "since the attack does not target a figure, but instead chooses a line of spaces, and since the engagement rule restricts you to choosing an engaged figure as the target of an attack, the Flamethrower SA is open to argument of interpretation."

~Z

The CEE June 6th, 2012 08:13 PM

Regarding the markers needed for the redundant systems ability, one could easily paint three of the extra exoskeleton markers included included in the Icewind Scourge boosters. Of course, most people will probably not bother painting markers anyway. However, I am fond of kpucblek's idea of making orange redundant systems markers. :ponder:

ZBeeblebrox June 6th, 2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The CEE (Post 1621932)
Regarding the markers needed for the redundant systems ability, one could easily paint three of the extra exoskeleton markers included included in the Icewind Scourge boosters. Of course, most people will probably not bother painting markers anyway. However, I am fond of kpucblek's idea of making orange redundant systems markers. :ponder:

That is what I use. I have not decided to paint them yet, but since WoTC was so nice to supply me with extra markers, I thought I'd use them :D

rym June 6th, 2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBunnySuicide (Post 1621883)
As the power says in the part that's in bold below it is only 2 space from the attacking figure not how you were suggesting.

Quote:

Range Special. Attack 4.
. . . Choose 2 spaces in a straight line from the attacking Vulcanmech Incendiborg. . . .

That was how I initially interpreted it, but after seeing the pricetag, I began to waver in that interpretation, and thought, "Well, it's possible..." It was just one of those things. You see and read a card a hundred times and then, Wham!, all of a sudden, it hits you weird and you question something you've always known...:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 1621884)
I understand the skepticism about the price tag. It might help to think of them like a unique hero with triple attack and 6 life, only they can't suffer more than one wound in any attack, and they start to lose attacks hydra-style after the fourth wound. Do you see how that can be pretty good? While these guys are not quite as potent as the other 180 point large soulborg option that's out there, they are very dangerous.

Oh, after I saw Redundant Systems, that was how I saw them - as basically a 6-man unique squad with some serious hitting and staying power. That definitely justifies their high(er) cost. Again, a pretty damn cool unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anitar (Post 1621886)

It was a simple question, man. And for that, I'm out.

MegaSilver June 6th, 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infectedsloth (Post 1621754)
My first attempt at a "Book", so let me know if I missed anything.

Please Look at The Book of 4th Massachussets Line for proper formatting. ;)

Very nice, strong guys. Just don't get too close. :lol:

Dignan June 7th, 2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Man.... there's no need for that tone. It was a legitimate question to a custom unit's power. That's an extremely rude way to talk to someone who is genuinely interested in this project.

ZBeeblebrox June 7th, 2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 1622210)
Quote:

Man.... there's no need for that tone. It was a legitimate question to a custom unit's power. That's an extremely rude way to talk to someone who is genuinely interested in this project.

I agree, and while I appriciate Anitar's interetest in this project...if you answer questions in that tone; you reflect a bad light on the C3V...even though you are also a fan.

Please be courteous on this site,

Thanks

ZB

Gurei-Ornery June 7th, 2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 1621884)
Quote:

Nope; as Anitar said, it's the adjacent space and the next one, just like Rhogar and Mimring (who use the same phrasing).

I suggest everyone try these guys. I was skeptical of their cost when I first playtested them, but in the right army they are capable of doing most of the heavy lifting. Of course, as with almost any unit, match-ups are key. Plus, they look incredibly cool on the map.:)

caps June 7th, 2012 08:15 AM

With the right setup, these guys are entirely capable of earning their 180 points back. They're especially troubling alongside another Menacer. If your opponent has to split their attacks between these guys and, say, Nilfheim, it will take them a while to knock these guys out. Setting Krug in front of them is another cool idea.

I playtested these guys. My local players told me several times that they were just too strong. In a team setting, where there are almost always multiple threats at once, these guys really thrive.

kpucblek June 7th, 2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The CEE (Post 1621932)

:word:

Hive Lord 1233 June 7th, 2012 08:12 PM

Aren't the exoskeleton markers kind of orange-metallic-colored anyway?

I'll probably just use the regular markers. I'm lazy like that. :razz:

dok June 7th, 2012 09:27 PM

I'll probably use wound markers, because I'm even lazier.

Hive Lord 1233 June 7th, 2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 1622793)
I'll probably use wound markers, because I'm even lazier.

Oh dok...... :roll: (:lol:)

ZAKOVANI June 7th, 2012 10:15 PM

I'd think the exos are fine- a pack comes with 6 so you might as well take the extras. That is what I plan on doing at least. Are the bases that the figs come on small enough to work without rebasing?

Hive Lord 1233 June 7th, 2012 10:18 PM

I think so. In the front page pic they look like they are still on the original bases.

ZBeeblebrox June 7th, 2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZAKOVANI (Post 1622857)
I'd think the exos are fine- a pack comes with 6 so you might as well take the extras. That is what I plan on doing at least. Are the bases that the figs come on small enough to work without rebasing?

Yes.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l488/C3VLEIV/VI.png

ZAKOVANI June 7th, 2012 10:52 PM

Then they shall be purchased.... :)

infectedsloth June 7th, 2012 11:58 PM

180 points! I thought they would be expensive, but nowhere near that much, although they do have a lot of thing going for them that makes the point investment worth it. First off they have the all mighty 4th defense die that is all too often missing from expensive squads (3 out of the 4 other squads over 110 points only have 3 defense dice). Having four defense dice is a good start, but Redundant Systems certainly is needed to justify their price tag, also a bonus is there is no restriction on Redundant Systems .i.e., special attacks and leaving engagement attacks. Since Redundant Systems gives them doable the survivability, when I tried to theory scape there points I disregard Redundant Systems and judged them as if they are an 90 point squad, since there is more squads around that point cost in witch to compare. I think they stack up well versus other squads around 90 points, and they get there 180 cost by having double the survivability with Redundant Systems. They also have a lot going for them outside of their states and abilities, they are large, soulborg and single spaced, so they get the best of all words and have a slew of immunities. They also become only 5th squads (that I can think of off the top of my head) with a special attack, and with a possibility of 24 dice rolled they are second only to the Airborne Elites in terms of possible total dice rolled, but I like flamethrower much better.

I draw a comparison with Major Q9, we all know that the Major can absolutely dominate a game, but without proper support like Laglor, Raelin, Rats etc., he can fall surprisingly quick. the Incendiborgs seem similar in that sense, if you send them in by themselves versus strong armies with sustained heavy fire I think they will usually fall without getting there points worth. If you use them with a screen or as a second wave so they can get height and fight some depleted forces, and with a cheerleader they can be dominate. I know this is a tacky response, but I really think Raelin is great with these guys, they would have with 6 defense, range, a special attack and basically 6 life. I think they might be one of the few figures were Raelin v2 is a better pick then the original Raelin, with the expanded aura you will be able to cover more choke points and with 200 points remaining you still have a lot of options for the remaining points. I'd like to try some range to attack from afar on height in Raelins expanded aura, mainly using the Incendiborgs as a screen and throwing an order marker there way when ever things get to hot and you need some crowd control.

The best army I can think of is Doks 2010 gencon championship army, but instead have the Incendiborgs replace Q9 for the Incendiborgs.

Incendiborgs
Raelin
Fen hydra
Rats x3

Boring, yes, unimaginative, yes, annoying to play against, definitely, but no doubt fearsome and effective.

Bro-man June 8th, 2012 12:04 AM

I like these units. :) Are you going to put up their Bio soon?

ZAKOVANI June 8th, 2012 12:07 AM

I too like them- They remind me of my profile pic actually. I always wondered why Valkrill's wallpaper was metallic without robots in his army.... now it feels better. :)

caps June 8th, 2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infectedsloth (Post 1622969)
180 points! I thought they would be expensive, but nowhere near that much, although they do have a lot of thing going for them that makes the point investment worth it. First off they have the all mighty 4th defense die that is all too often missing from expensive squads (3 out of the 4 other squads over 110 points only have 3 defense dice). Having four defense dice is a good start, but Redundant Systems certainly is needed to justify their price tag, also a bonus is there is no restriction on Redundant Systems .i.e., special attacks and leaving engagement attacks. Since Redundant Systems gives them doable the survivability, when I tried to theory scape there points I disregard Redundant Systems and judged them as if they are an 90 point squad, since there is more squads around that point cost in witch to compare. I think they stack up well versus other squads around 90 points, and they get there 180 cost by having double the survivability with Redundant Systems. They also have a lot going for them outside of their states and abilities, they are large, soulborg and single spaced, so they get the best of all words and have a slew of immunities. They also become only 5th squads (that I can think of off the top of my head) with a special attack, and with a possibility of 24 dice rolled they are second only to the Airborne Elites in terms of possible total dice rolled, but I like flamethrower much better.

I draw a comparison with Major Q9, we all know that the Major can absolutely dominate a game, but without proper support like Laglor, Raelin, Rats etc., he can fall surprisingly quick. the Incendiborgs seem similar in that sense, if you send them in by themselves versus strong armies with sustained heavy fire I think they will usually fall without getting there points worth. If you use them with a screen or as a second wave so they can get height and fight some depleted forces, and with a cheerleader they can be dominate. I know this is a tacky response, but I really think Raelin is great with these guys, they would have with 6 defense, range, a special attack and basically 6 life. I think they might be one of the few figures were Raelin v2 is a better pick then the original Raelin, with the expanded aura you will be able to cover more choke points and with 200 points remaining you still have a lot of options for the remaining points. I'd like to try some range to attack from afar on height in Raelins expanded aura, mainly using the Incendiborgs as a screen and throwing an order marker there way when ever things get to hot and you need some crowd control.

The best army I can think of is Doks 2010 gencon championship army, but instead have the Incendiborgs replace Q9 for the Incendiborgs.

Incendiborgs
Raelin
Fen hydra
Rats x3

Boring, yes, unimaginative, yes, annoying to play against, definitely, but no doubt fearsome and effective.

You are spot-on sir. These guys are tough and versatile, but as with everything Unique I've ever playtested for C3V, they go down under concentrated fire.

SabastianBludd June 11th, 2012 04:14 PM

Looking at these guys, it seems like they would make a pretty good ranged pod along with Khosumet to boost their attack to 5 with height advantage. It reminds me of the Taelord + Omnicron Snipers (x1) pods people play with low-point armies. Except in this case, instead of a useless-in-melee squad and a glass 180 pt. cheerleader, you have a relatively cheap attack enhancer (Khosumet) along with a six-life unique squad that has a special attack and is useful in clean-up.

They're dreadfully slow, though, so I'd consider pairing them with some Phantom Knights to keep my opponent busy while I get them set up on high ground.

Dad_Scaper June 11th, 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

when I tried to theory scape there points I disregard Redundant Systems and judged them as if they are an 90 point squad, since there is more squads around that point cost in witch to compare. I think they stack up well versus other squads around 90 points, and they get there 180 cost by having double the survivability with Redundant Systems.

I am sure, infectedsloth, that you do not mean to say that Incendiborgs = (Incendiborgs-Redundant Systems) x2.

There is a tremendous advantage in getting that forward Incendiborg on height (or whatever) and being able to use markers to keep it on that valuable hex.

infectedsloth June 13th, 2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 1624769)
Quote:

when I tried to theory scape there points I disregard Redundant Systems and judged them as if they are an 90 point squad, since there is more squads around that point cost in witch to compare. I think they stack up well versus other squads around 90 points, and they get there 180 cost by having double the survivability with Redundant Systems.

I am sure, infectedsloth, that you do not mean to say that Incendiborgs = (Incendiborgs-Redundant Systems) x2.

Yup that's what I'm saying. I know that that method is not a reliable way to price a unit from scratch, but I think it can be used as tool to see if the given price is in the ballpark.

The best way to see if a given cost for a unit is balanced, short of playtesting it, is compare the unit to similar official figures. What squad can you compare the Incendiborgs to? The Airborne Elites are the only other unique squad with range and a special attack, but the drop is unique enough a power that you can't really compare them to the Incendiborgs.The other high price squads are common or melee.

Incendiborgs without Redundant Systems are worth what, 75? 80? Multiple that 2 and add some points for...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 1624769)
There is a tremendous advantage in getting that forward Incendiborg on height (or whatever) and being able to use markers to keep it on that valuable hex.

And you end up with a number around 180, depending on how much numerical value you put on keeping a Incendiborg on a valuable spaces. It was my fault for indolently not explaining that step I took in my originally post.

Edit: if you and a teammate are both playing Incendiborgs and your teammates Incendiborg takes a wound, if he has no more Redundant Systems markers left can you use one on your card to negate his wounds. The wording of the card dose no specify if has to be a Incendiborg you control.

awesomeunleashed June 13th, 2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infectedsloth (Post 1625392)
Edit: if you and a teammate are both playing Incendiborgs and your teammates Incendiborg takes a wound, if he has no more Redundant Systems markers left can you use one on your card to negate his wounds. The wording of the card dose no specify if has to be a Incendiborg you control.

This is so true. According to the card, if any Incendiborg takes a wound, you can remove a marker... Maybe an errata is needed (actually, I might leave it, just because if one of them can use 3 markers, why not 6...)?

sixthflagbearer June 13th, 2012 10:24 AM

wait, so does that mean if your opponent has Incendiborgs, you can use one of their markers :twisted:

awesomeunleashed June 13th, 2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixthflagbearer (Post 1625488)
wait, so does that mean if your opponent has Incendiborgs, you can use one of their markers :twisted:

No, for the same reason you can't use Mind Shackle with all of your figures if your opponent has Ne-Gok-Sa. You could use your markers to protect your opponent's 'Borgs, however-I could see this being useful in a 3-way kill-the player-to-your-left...

Aldin June 13th, 2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixthflagbearer (Post 1625488)

This one's a definite no (unless for some crazy reason your opponent wanted to save your HotBot - the owner of the card decides when the markers are used). For allies you would be able to use your markers to save their borgs - if that's what you really want to do. 'Course, them's less markers for your HotBots :twisted:

~Aldin, sacrificing for the good of all

ETA Good point about 3-way Kill Da Guy on Da Left awesomeunleashed. Still, those markers are valuable and not to be spent lightly.

awesomeunleashed June 13th, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 1625493)
ETA Good point about 3-way Kill Da Guy on Da Left awesomeunleashed. Still, those markers are valuable and not to be spent lightly.

Very valuable-but obviously worth it if the guy on your right is down to just a single Incendiborg. Granted, this will basically never happen, but...

Nomad June 18th, 2012 11:44 PM

I played a couple of games with the Incendiborgs to give them a test. In my first match, my other units took care of business before the Incendiborgs came into play. In the second match, I played all Incendiborgs until they fell . . . I took out 300 points of my opponents figures. Yes, my dice rolls were more favorable, but as of now I'm thinking they are priced appropriately and were pretty fun to play with.

Thanks C3V for all your excellent work!

tcglkn June 27th, 2012 01:57 PM

Really cool figures guys, nice work here. :up:

The CEE July 20th, 2012 08:17 PM

These guys have quickly become a favorite of mine. I've played them twice so far and each time they have had no problem killing their points worth. They can shrug off a couple attacks (even more if you have Raelin) while climbing to the high ground. Once they reach an advantageous position, they can easily hold it thanks to redundant systems. I have found that I can easily get three attacks of 4 out of this squad each turn, whether through height advantage or the flamethrower. Of all the Wave 15 units, I think the Incendiborgs have the greatest competitive potential.

kpucblek August 3rd, 2012 04:27 PM

We just had a local event here in Denver. Man, these guys rocked it! It was a shared pool event, and they were brought to the table by 3 different players. Just about everyone used them and most LOVED them.

They're definitely not too pricey at 180pts. I'd say they are almost as potent as Major Q9 (but a very different). Their range might be a little too good at 6. But they're fun!

Sheep August 15th, 2012 01:32 PM

You wanna know something? up until just now, I thought these guys were common. No wonder it was always x1... :lol:

Filthy the Clown November 2nd, 2012 11:13 AM

The Incendiborgs have been dominating the online tourney scene as of late. From what I have seen when the borgs are unleashed towards the end of the match, there is usually not enough left of the opponent's army in which to threaten the borgs' stout defense or ability to hold ground. With that in mind, I think that they might be one of the best closers around.

Dare I say it, but perhaps they should be moved into the A range of power rankings?

MegaSilver November 2nd, 2012 11:21 AM

I agree, Filthy. They are extremely powerful.

caps November 2nd, 2012 11:26 AM

I definitely think the Vulcanmechs are a solid "A."