Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Online Heroscape Games and Events (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   HeroSkype? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=30636)

Gulp June 1st, 2010 08:59 PM

HeroSkype?

Has anyone tried to play Heroscape by pointing a video camera at the board and streaming it across Skype or another program?

I've been trying to find a local game, but something always seems to happen. And when I do get a game, it's usually with friends who are very new, so I have to help them out.

Kaiser Cat June 1st, 2010 09:01 PM

Re: HeroSkype?

Sounds...Interesting. I had thought about that at one point but I was not sure how to go about it.

IAmBatman June 1st, 2010 11:49 PM

Have not tried this, but have spoken with many Scapers on Skype. :-)

Scape Goes Up to 11! June 2nd, 2010 12:11 AM

I once played a game of Deadlands with my Bro' (Who still lives in the UK) using a webcam. I actually put it onto the table amongst all the figures and scenery, so on his end it was a first person style game. Kept him guessing where the zombies would come from next :)

lefton4ya June 2nd, 2010 08:58 AM

Wow, interesting idea. You could either have one person have the map and characters or both people would need to set up the same board - the latter being easier to choose your strategy than over the webcam. If you don't trust each other, the dice would also need to be rolled in the webcam view, but overall this could work.

Gulp June 2nd, 2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefton4ya (Post 1100003)
Wow, interesting idea. You could either have one person have the map and characters or both people would need to set up the same board - the latter being easier to choose your strategy than over the webcam. If you don't trust each other, the dice would also need to be rolled in the webcam view, but overall this could work.

My friend mentioned this same thing about needing to see the dice so people don't cheat. I disagreed.

I don't assume that someone is going to be cheating. If I suspect someone of cheating, then I'll just not play with them anymore. I would, however, want players to announce the number of dice they are rolling since it's much more likely that someone is going to accidentally think they have height or make a rules mistake (giving a bonus to a figure that doesn't follow the correct general).

I don't want to have to use a second camera or mess up the optimal camera angle on the map so that I can show a place for the dice.

Jexik June 2nd, 2010 11:17 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't bother heroskyping with someone that I couldn't trust not to cheat.

I might like to see it when they get 7 skulls or something on Q9's defense... just so I could laugh.

Snappleman June 2nd, 2010 11:44 AM

Has anyone wrote an app that's basically a simple instant messaging app, but has dice rolling capabilities? Seems pretty simple to me. Instead of trying to catch the dice roll on the web cam, you just type in 5 and hit enter and the app rolls 5 HS dice and you and one or more connected people see the result. Of course, there would be an attacker and defender section to see who won :) I'll get right on it!!!

Xn F M June 2nd, 2010 11:45 AM

You mean like AIM?

lefton4ya June 2nd, 2010 01:27 PM

You can use the Deadmaxx's Heroscape Battle Dice Rolling program on one person's pc and use screen-sharing within IM or Skype. HiTech126 put it online at http://hsapp.tk/

Gulp June 2nd, 2010 01:42 PM

I spent quite a while trying to get my external videocamera connected to my laptop so that I could use it as a webcam, but I failed. I will continue doing some research. I also did research on using Skype (which I just prefer--though I don't have much experience with other programs other than AIM or Gtalk), and it looks like you have to use a third party program to make it work. Once again, I wasn't able to pull this off.

Anyone have suggestions?

Tai-Pan June 2nd, 2010 02:06 PM

I would definately be up for a HeroSkype game. I've never played with anyone I didn't introduce to the game and would love to test myself against others. I live in Wyoming and the closest Scaper on here is 4 hours away so my chances of getting in games are pretty slim.