Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Workshop (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=59934)

toyhandle October 17th, 2021 09:37 PM

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Workshop

Compiled designs and figure suggestions.

Original post:
Spoiler Alert!

Ericth74 October 17th, 2021 09:50 PM

Re: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Workshop

I've never read the books, only saw the movie a long time ago. Cool start.

toyhandle October 17th, 2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

NAME = MINA MURRAY

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = LEADER
PERSONALITY = BRAVE

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 3

POINTS = ?

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN
At the start of the game, choose up to four other Unique Heroes that do not share a class. As long as Mina Murray is on the battlefield, she and the chosen figures have the class of Operative instead of the class listed on their cards. After taking a turn with Mina Murray, you may take a turn with one Operative you control or up to two Operatives you control if Mina Murray ends her turn engaged. Any Operatives taking a turn with this special power must have had their class changed with this special power.

COVERT OPERATIONS
Start the game with the white Covert Operations Marker on this card. Before taking a turn with Mina Murray, you may place or remove the Covert Operations Marker. While the Covert Operations Marker is on this card, Mina Murray cannot attack or be targeted by an enemy figure for non-adjacent attacks or special powers that require clear sight. Remove the Covert Operations Marker anytime Mina Murray becomes engaged with an opponent's figure.
Combined Recruitment and LoEG into 1 power. Got rid of species/personality restrictions, and made it so she doesn't become a leader for Apollo/Midnighter or Alpha Flight.

She is the leader and organizer for the group, and aside from research, she investigates by infiltrating using false identities, or acting as bait.
Though I like Espionage, I think Agent Carter's Covert Operations would be more synergetic for an idea I have for Quatermain, who always accompanies her undercover, and protects her from danger.

Examples of going undercover:
Spoiler Alert!

MrNobody October 17th, 2021 10:31 PM

I like Espionage better, tbh. The design really wants you to get her engaged and keep her that way, so having a power that wants her unengaged doesn't exactly seem like it fits.

What's the goal of the class change to Operative? (Outside of thematics?) Like is there a thematic reason why they'd want to pal around with other Operatives like Alpha Flight or Stormwatch?

toyhandle October 17th, 2021 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2485466)
I like Espionage better, tbh. The design really wants you to get her engaged and keep her that way, so having a power that wants her unengaged doesn't exactly seem like it fits.

The reason I say Covert Operations, aside from her always going undercover, is to work with the Heroic Avenger power I want Allan to have.
We do want her engaged sometimes, but with 4 life and 3 defense as your commander, you also want to keep her out of the fray when it becomes too risky. She can become engaged, attack, use the two other turns, and then if she gets attacked next turn, Alan can come in to Avenge. Then at the start of her next turn, she can go covert again, move to a new position, possibly reengage to set up Allan for Heroic Avenger again.

Quote:

NAME = ALLAN QUATERMAIN

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = HUNTER
PERSONALITY = WEARY

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 5
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3

POINTS = ?

HEROIC AVENGER

After a friendly figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Allan Quatermain rolls defense dice against an opponent's attack, you may immediately move Alan Quatermain adjacent to that friendly figure, if possible. After moving with Heroic Avenger, if Allan Quatermain is adjacent to the attacking figure, the attacking figure receives one wound. When Allan Quatermain moves with Heroic Avenger, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

ELEPHANT GUN SPECIAL ATTACK

Range 6. Attack 6.
Destructible objects, Large and Huge figures roll two less defense dice against this special attack. You may only use this special attack once per round.
I got rid of Big Game Hunter because that would make it the 4th use that power, and I think the changes I made to Elephant Gun reflect him as a Big Game Hunter enough. He's also not terribly mobile, due to his advanced age. He can barely keep up with Mina on their trek through the One Hundred Acre Wood.
https://i.imgur.com/SyWSJCv.png
https://i.imgur.com/Z81QrqI.png

Major story spoilers, but the reason I think Heroic Avenger is probably the most important power for him to have (aside from the Elephant Gun) is because his character arc is about how he was a hero who Mina grew up idolizing, and fell from grace by the time she met him. Mina, Nemo, the adventure pull him back into shape.
He's proven determined to protect Mina at all costs throughout the series, even before he knew her. Doesn't matter if he's drugged out of his mind or fighting a giant monster.
Due to reasons, Mina was missing for 40 years, and he fell from grace again without her. They reunite before the apocalypse happens and she needs his help. In despair and ashamed of himself, he declines, but comes to his senses in the end and comes to protect Mina once again, as he is determined to be the man she had grown up reading about. Upon his death, she confirms that he is her hero.
At his funeral, Mina tells Emma Peel about her love for him, which Emma reaffirms that she knows this by how he beat Emma up when Emma attacked Mina.
See all below:
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2485466)
What's the goal of the class change to Operative? (Outside of thematics?) Like is there a thematic reason why they'd want to pal around with other Operatives like Alpha Flight or Stormwatch?

I specifically don't want her to with those mentioned, so maybe the changed class could be "Agent of the Crown" as she describes herself in the second image I posted in my Mina post. Not an actual class that would ever be printed on a card, but works for an "Instead of" class.

MrNobody October 17th, 2021 11:45 PM

I guess my question is - what's the mechanical purpose behind having a class change at all? Taking Splash's original idea, why not just do something like this -
Quote:

After taking a turn with Mina Murray, you may take a turn with one Unique Hero you control or up to two Unique Heroes you control if Mina Murray ends her turn engaged. Any figures taking a turn with this special power must have the personality of Weary, Innovative, Moral, or Immoral.
- and skip the recruitment power entirely? I get the fun theme of them being Operatives, just not sure it's worth the mechanical weight.

toyhandle October 18th, 2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2485476)
I guess my question is - what's the mechanical purpose behind having a class change at all? Taking Splash's original idea, why not just do something like this -
- and skip the recruitment power entirely? I get the fun theme of them being Operatives, just not sure it's worth the mechanical weight.

I'm not really set on a lot of this, but if these designs are left as they are, unless Invisible Man is changed to Immoral, that version of the LoEG power doesn't cover this version of the League. And she also led the League made up of the Adventurer Orlando (who will likely have two personalities), the Detective Thomas Carnacki, and the Thief AJ Raffles.

So its easier to have it be a Ragtag-style class based recruitment. But again, I am fine with the word being something other than Operative. Agent of the Crown is kind of a fun, thematic mouthful in the style of the title, "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

Karat October 18th, 2021 12:26 AM

Here's my old draft for Quartermain.
Quote:

NAME = ALLAN QUARTERMAIN
SECRET IDENTITY = ALLAN QUARTERMAIN

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = HUNTER
PERSONALITY = RECLUSIVE

SIZE/HEIGHT = ?

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 9
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4

POINTS = ?

BIG GAME TRACKER

At the start of the game, you may choose one opponent's Unique or Event Hero to be Allan Quartermain's Prey. When a numbered Order Marker is revealed on the Prey's card, you may immediately move Allan Quartermain up to 3 spaces. When moving with Big Game Tracker, Allan Quartermain is never attacked when leaving engagements. If Allan Quartermain attacks his Prey, he may attack his Prey one additional time.

EXPERT MARKSMANSHIP
Before attacking, if Allan Quartermain did not move this turn, you may add 3 to his range value for the remainder of the turn.

toyhandle October 18th, 2021 05:50 AM

@MrNobody
Ah, here's a way of making it class-based without changing classes:

At the start of the game, choose up to four other Unique Heroes in your army that do not share a class. As long as Mina Murray is on the battlefield, she and the chosen figures are Agents of the Crown. After taking a turn with Mina Murray, you may take a turn with one Agent of the Crown you control or up to two Agents of the Crown you control if Mina Murray ends her turn engaged.

And maybe we can do a Campion Bond and M who has some sort of power interacting with Agents of the Crown.

IAmBatman October 18th, 2021 08:02 AM

Only Splash’s original take is going to make the other designs here the best picks with Mina. I’d just make Invisible Man’s personality Immoral.

The class change mechanic is unnecessary, though, agreed.

toyhandle October 18th, 2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2485482)
Only Splash’s original take is going to make the other designs here the best picks with Mina. I’d just make Invisible Man’s personality Immoral.

The class change mechanic is unnecessary, though, agreed.

It's not really their personalities of being Weary or Moral that cause them to be sought out though.
The question of why they, or why Mina among them were chosen was asked very often over the course of the first two volumes, describing themselves, or being described as a variety of unflattering titles. Here are most of them:

In Vol 2 they seem to have a better understanding of themselves as a group.

Jekyll in Vol 1 did use a word that I think does unify the recruits.
https://i.imgur.com/y7Frzh5.png
Notorious. It's not really a personality, more of a status, but I think it basically reads fine as a Notorious Hunter, Notorious Pirate, Notorious Scientist, etc.. Being Notorious does somewhat inform about a person's character, albeit by reputation.

Quote:

At the start of the game, choose up to four other Notorious Unique Heroes in your army. As long as Mina Murray is on the battlefield, she and the chosen figures are Agents of the Crown. After taking a turn with Mina Murray, you may take a turn with one Agent of the Crown you control or up to two Agents of the Crown you control if Mina Murray ends her turn engaged.
There are powers I'll get to with Griffin, Hyde and Nemo that will have Mina or Agent of the Crown synergies. And Heroic Avenger can be adjusted to be specific to Agents of the Crown. Having the status Agents of the Crown means they require Mina's leadership, instead of these characters just normally synergizing with fellow Notorious types.
It also limits the team so it doesn't get uncharacteristically huge. They need to be brought together specifically to serve a mission.

MrNobody October 18th, 2021 10:53 AM

I actually like Notorious. I'd definitely drop the whole Operative/Agent of the Crown thing if they had a natural hook like that though. No reason to make things more complicated than they need to be. :2cents: