Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gen Con (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Indy road closures (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55981)

Retlaw July 23rd, 2019 06:01 PM

Indy road closures

According to the Indy Star (Indianapolis newspaper), Interstate 70 will be closed from I-465 on the west side of town all the way to downtown Indy.

Yep, the week of the second largest convention in Indy, they close the interstate that goes from the airport to downtown.

If you are coming in from the west on I-70, they'll detour you around I-465 on the south side of Indy to I-65 and then north on that to downtown. There are ways to use surface streets, but those will be heavy traffic as well.

In addition if you are coming from Chicago area, a section of I-65 is closed on the northwest side of Indy. They'll detour you onto I-865, then to I-465 south, then back on I-65 to downtown.

As an aside, if you are coming in from the west on I-74, you probably already know it is routed around Indy on I-465 (i.e., doesn't go through city, but around it) and you probably normally take I-465 south to I-70 to get downtown. This won't work now due to the closure of I-70. You can do the long detour to the south side - or if you don't mind a little drive on some city streets, go north on I-465 to 38th street (first exit north of I-74), take 38th street east (about a mile) and it will run into I-65 which you can take downtown.

One additional note: IndyGo (city buses) have added "red line" lanes on some of the downtown streets. If the lane is solid red it is restricted to buses only. If the lane is red/black striped, it is for buses and cars making turns (e.g., if the far right lane is red/black striped at an intersection, then it is for buses and cars making right turns, but no cars going straight through intersection).

End on a good note: while there is some normal summer construction on some of the other interstates, none of them are closed.

Tornado July 23rd, 2019 06:04 PM

Re: Indy road closures

Thanks Retlaw. I have one friend flying in. I will pass on the bad news.
Looks like I am safe from the north. :)

MegaSilver July 24th, 2019 01:49 AM

I shared this to my X-wing buddies. Thanks for the heads up!

Hahnarama July 24th, 2019 08:57 AM

Walter,

You think it's worth telling folks to take Washington all the way in or maybe Sam Jones/Raymond?

Retlaw July 24th, 2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahnarama (Post 2298763)
Walter,

You think it's worth telling folks to take Washington all the way in or maybe Sam Jones/Raymond?

Both will work, but I have a feeling most "locals" will be using Washington street which can already very busy during rush hour times. Sam Jones/Raymond may be a better option.

If INDOT does like they've done the weekend closures, they close I-70 before you get to Raymond Street exit, so people would have to go north on I-465 and then take the Sam Jones exit (first exit north of I-70). Sam Jones becomes Raymond street. Stay on Raymond until you get to West Street and then go north on West Street.

Since I actually live south of I-70 at the Plainfield exit, I'm going to go cross country to IN-67/Kentucky Ave which runs all the way downtown to Lucas Oil Stadium (with one little jog around an Eli Lilly facility).

Hahnarama July 25th, 2019 02:43 PM

I was just downtown...what a ****ING CLUSTER ****!

Forget the interstate closures... this New Red Line has permanently close to South bound lanes on Capitol. Meridian...NIGHTMARE and for some reason they just started construction on Illinois lanes are closed form The RAM all the way past the Hilton. And Road work at the intersection of Washington and West street. You know all the streets where we will be walking... I predict someone will get hit by a car next week.

Tornado July 25th, 2019 04:21 PM

That does not sound good. Glad I am rolling in on Monday.

The Orange Mailman July 28th, 2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2299152)
That does not sound good. Glad I am rolling in on Monday.

Hah. Same here.

Tornado July 28th, 2019 07:50 PM

We could have the C3G event early. :)

Retlaw July 29th, 2019 08:46 PM

I checked google maps this morning around 8:30a and traffic was stop and go from the Plainfield exit (IN-267) to the airport (mile+) where they force three lanes into one to merge onto I-465 exit. Then I-465 around the south side was slow and stop an go at the I-65 interchange. I-65 into downtown was very slow and some parts stop and go. My wife was out at 4:00 and 5:00 this afternoon and saw similar stop and go on I-70 at Plainfield exit (luckily she was going over I-70 and not on it). I also checked status of surface streets (Washington St. and Sam Jones/Raymond St.) and they were stop and go as well - my guess locals are using them.

That said, if you are coming in on Tuesday or Wednesday try to schedule mid-day and not during rush hours. Although I'm not sure that will help much. Just expect delays if you are flying in or coming from the west or south (I-65 northbound through downtown is backing up as well due to the extra traffic).

And as Hahnarama said - downtown streets are a mess due to IndyGo red line "eating" lanes and construction on other streets.

INDOT was quoted in the Indy Star as saying the detour from the airport to downtown will only add 5-10 minutes, but reality is probably more line 30-40 minutes. I don't think they accounted for 3 lanes of I-70 traffic having to funnel down to 1 lane to get on to I-465 and then again when getting off of I-465 to get on I-65 north (which is a very tight "cloverleaf" exit which is slow speed 25 MPH).

Tornado July 29th, 2019 09:16 PM

Yeah, hit downtown at 5pm. Brutal. Storm was wicked. Traffic stunk.

Retlaw July 30th, 2019 05:21 PM

Ok, this should be obvious, but be extra cautious in the construction/detours. Since 2:00 this afternoon (July 30th) and current reports (as of 5:00) say for several more hours, I-70 East bound is closed at IN-267 (Plainfield exit about a mile west of the airport). Apparently a vehicle ran into the back of a semi-trailer that was going slow/stopped due to the lane restrictions/traffic merging into 1 lane. Two passengers in the vehicle were killed in the accident.

I would like to be able to see all of you safe and in one piece this week!