Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Events (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DFW Tournaments - Restricted List (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=35168)

Dignan March 13th, 2011 02:41 PM

DFW Tournaments - Restricted List

This is a thread to hold the DFW Restricted list for use at various events. Additionally, this thread will serve as a location to discuss the composition of the list.

Goal: The goal of the restricted list is to reduce the prevalence of the consistently strong tournament winning unit combinations in an effort to produce more diverse and unique armies at the events where it is used.

Implementation: Armies at events using the restricted list can field, at most, one army card from the list as a part of their total army. Multiple commons from the list can be used.

THE LIST
  1. Deathreavers
  2. Raelin - RotV
  3. 4th Massachusetts Line
  4. Blastatrons
  5. Isamu
  6. Knights of Weston
  7. Krav Maga Agents
  8. Marro Stingers
  9. Major Q9
  10. Sir Gilbert
  11. 10th Regiment of Foot
  12. Airborne Elite
  13. Braxas
  14. Heavy Gruts
  15. Grimnak
  16. Kaemon Awa
  17. Major Q10
  18. Marcu Esinwien
  19. Nilfhiem
  20. Zelrig
  21. Greenscale Warriors

Dignan March 13th, 2011 02:44 PM

Re: DFW Tournaments - Restricted List

For discussion, here are some highly ranked units that I left off the list. Feel free to chime in if you think we should or should not consider adding any of these to the list.
  1. Fen Hydra
  2. Laglor
  3. Marro Warriors

Tmac2200 March 13th, 2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 1363901)
For discussion, here are some highly ranked units that I left off the list. Feel free to chime in if you think we should or should not consider adding any of these to the list.
  1. Fen Hydra
  2. Laglor
  3. Marro Warriors

I don't think they should be added to the list, they don't need to be on the list as much as the others do. They are not present nearly as often as the others.

CheddarLimbo March 13th, 2011 05:59 PM

Thanks for getting this started in a formal thread.

My thoughts:

There are two items on the list that I think are good, but not really game-breakingly above average nor are they played out to the point of showing up in every other army:

Kaemon Awa
He's a solid hero to be sure, but he doesn't bond directly with anyone except Kato, and his presence does not directly influence anything else in your army by way of aura, or buff, etc.

I would say he is a good figure, but costs just the right amount for his benefits and not a game changer. I don't think he belongs on this list.

Second is the Airborne Elite. I know these guys were a lot more popular back in the early days, but Unique Squads have the biggest hill to climb already in terms of functionality. They are swingy, and have a very good chance of just falling flat (or never showing up at all). I think they are fairly valued at 110, and again, don't have any really superior combinations to take advantage of.

I'll have to think longer about the other three you are proposing. Laglor seems like a good choice. Hydras....maybe. Not sold on the Marro at all, but I need to think about it more.

If the Fen Hydra was on the list, would that mean you could only take one of them in your army?

EDIT: Tmacc, would you care to elaborate any more on your position? Or comment on any from the original list? This project needs to have a lot of discussion in order to make sure we're arriving at some sort of consensus. The more information we provide and the more examples of pros and cons, the better.

DrLivingston March 13th, 2011 06:06 PM

I wonder about glads/blasts.

At least here in DFW has anyone done well with these guys except for Dignan?

I played them a ton to see if I could use them at our lat NHSD and they are not easy to get right. Especially if they run into the wrong army.

I just haven't seen them very often at tourneys, and if I did see them they didn't do great. Except for that one year. When Dignan ran them.

I agree with Tmac that Laglor, MArro Warriors, and Fenn Hydra are fine off the list.

Although if Team tourney goes back to side by side, I could see Longheroscaper making the drive down with his brother and showing up with this and a bowl full of kick***:

110 Laglor
120 Rats x 3
70 ????(does it matter?)

300 Microcrop x3

In which case Laglor scares me. But I don't know if it's enough to put him on the list for single player events.

I agree that Kaemon and the Airborne Elite are "fair" figures. I just thought they were on the list because they showed up at events ALL the time. Maybe they didn't. I'd have to look up some of those old event army lists.

Revdyer March 13th, 2011 06:13 PM

I think that Dr. Livingston has a real point in raising the question of whether a restricted list for a singles event is automatically the optimum list for a team event. There is, I think, a real differential between the two types which may require two different lists. For the team event (diagonal seating), I thought the list excellent. It was interesting, post-event, to list which units showed up, even though restricted, and which restricted units (quite a few) did not show at all.

Killometer March 13th, 2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 1363896)
Mezzodemon Warmongers

I have to say-this one surprised me. Have they already had such a strong impact on the DFW metagame?

GSW armies probably won't show up much more either, with that list, since Nilf, Zelrig and Braxas are all on it (or they'll just be paired with Moltenclaw, I guess. He does work excellently with them, in my experience).

Devil's Advocate March 13th, 2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killometer (Post 1364079)
Quote:

Mezzodemon Warmongers

I have to say-this one surprised me. Have they already had such a strong impact on the DFW metagame?

In Tournament reports I have read it is the Deathchasers that have impacted Tourney scenes the most among the new units. It might be because so many of the biggest special attackers are restricted but the goblins are not so I expect that isn't why (A Goblin swarm seems quite appealing with so many special attackers restricted)

CheddarLimbo March 13th, 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killometer (Post 1364079)
Quote:

Mezzodemon Warmongers

They were not on the original restricted list for the Team Tourney we just had, but were added after the fact. In the games I've played with them, they do have a tendency to dominate. They have their counters though. A Special attacker like Kaemon, Nilf, Braxas, and any of the Shotgun guys, or the Majors rip them up nicely. I think they should probably be on this list. Are they as good as Stingers, or 4th Mass? Nah, probably not. But if all you have are normal attacks, it can take forever to get through those Exoskeleton markers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate (Post 1364086)
In Tournament reports I have read it is the Deathchasers that have impacted Tourney scenes the most among the new units. It might be because so many of the biggest special attackers are restricted but the goblins are not so I expect that isn't why (A Goblin swarm seems quite appealing with so many special attackers restricted)

That's interesting. Can you link to any? Our resident Orc expert BroInLaw hasn't been playing as much, so we haven't seen them much in DFW. I played against the HSB's and the Goblins and they a re a potent combo, though one you really need to practice with to play well it seems. Not unlike the Blast/Glads.

We didn't see a single Goblin or Grut at the team event this year, but I think that's more because of the point and start zone restrictions than an indication of their validity as a build.

CheddarLimbo March 13th, 2011 06:22 PM

Sorry.

lefton4ya March 13th, 2011 06:26 PM

You can't have heavy Gruts and Grimnak?
you can't have Knights and Sir Glibert?
You can't gave Greenscales and Dragons?

No one will ever bring any Grimnak, Sir Glibert, or GSW if they can't bring their peers. Anyway, not my tourney.

Robotunit197 March 13th, 2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefton4ya (Post 1364101)
You can't have heavy Gruts and Grimnak?
you can't have Knights and Sir Glibert?
You can't gave Greenscales and Dragons?

No one will ever bring any Grimnak, Sir Glibert, or GSW if they can't bring their peers. Anyway, not my tourney.

I just used Gilbert and Macdirks at a tourny... :p