Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Events (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   NHSD in Maryland! 10/12!! (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56129)

Dad_Scaper September 14th, 2019 06:59 PM

NHSD in Maryland! 10/12!!

Free Bird!!! Free as a bird, man!

The format:
Bring 1 or 2 armies at 430 points; 24 hex limit. For your game, you may use an army you brought, or an army your opponent brought! Work it out with him or her! As long as both players are happy, and using a tournament-legal army, I'm happy. Do not pick an army after your opponent picks one, unless you both agree that that's ok.

My House Rules apply: yes to C3V/SoV, no to supers and no to C3G. All SoV & C3V units released as of this post will be eligible. And check out the alternate sculpts for C3V/SoV units!

When: 10/12/19, show up 12:30, roll dice 1:00, stop rolling 6:00, leave 6:30. Or stay at 6 and play around with their open board games.

Where: Neverland Games in Hagerstown, Maryland.

What: Heroscape, of course!

How Much: $5. All of it will go to prize store credit, as usual.

Why: Because it's always good, and because, in the words of Rhett Miller, "I've got 99 things to be thankful for, and half a clue ain't one."

So, keep signing up!

In:
  1. DS
  2. Buddy Lee
  3. JohnnyFrisbee
  4. JF+1
  5. JF+2
  6. JF+3
  7. G-O
  8. Jer
  9. Man At Arms
  10. TheHoff
  11. Rob's #1
  12. kldonnelly
  13. Liam
  14. Ken

Maybe:

TEA
MathJedi
Pete
More friends of JohnnyFrisbee?

Maps:

https://www.heroscapers.com/download...garden_P2l.jpg
Gravel Garden, by @GameBear (1 DD + 1 FA + 1 FF + 1 TJ)

https://www.heroscapers.com/downloads/arroyo_BFQ.png
Arroyo, by @Sir Heroscape (1 RotV)

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...uined_pier.jpg
Ruined Pier, by DS (1 RotV + 1 FotA)

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...l_original.png
April, by @BiggaBullfrog (1 RotV + 1 TT + 1 TJ)

https://www.heroscapers.com/download...greens_2pB.jpg
Everglades and Evergreens, by @rednax (1 SotM + 1 RttFF)

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/07...oeuhcf576g.jpg
The Crypt, by @Flash_19 (1 RotV + 1 BftU + 1 FotA)

https://www.heroscapers.com/downloads/blaze_7Jy.jpg
Blaze, by dignan (1 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 VW)

https://www.heroscapers.com/download...201.12_411.png
Obsidian Wastes, by @Leaf_It

Bringing maps:

Blaze - JohnnyFrisbee
Arroyo - Hoff
Everglades - DS
Ruined Pier - DS
Gravel Garden - DS

@Stephen Universe , @akden @kldonnelly , @Taeblewalker , @Robber , @drewcula , @OverEngineered , @G1shark , @Sagrilarus , @Lamaclown , @Sherman Davies , @Grishnakh , @Man_At_Arms , @Johngee , @hose , @Southwind , @tom , @9BelowMadness , @DragonSlayer2 , @DragonBorne , @Man_At_Arms , @hose , @vvildeyedjoker , @Jet , @Famous_Seamus , @Earl_of_Sandwich , @JohnnyFrisbee , @Nikkomon , @Elstree , @Buddy Lee , and @bunjee

Buddy Lee September 16th, 2019 09:49 AM

Re: NHSD in Maryland! How is 10/19?

10/19/19.

This date should work for me.

Buddy Lee

Dad_Scaper September 16th, 2019 09:51 AM

Excellent! I don't know why you weren't in the copy pasta above, but now you've been added. :)

Buddy Lee September 16th, 2019 09:56 AM

No problem. I realize I am still fairly new to the area so I may not be tagged on all the messages.

Format Suggestion (for what its worth):

Keep is simple -

500 points, 20 spaces. No Marvel. No customs.

Buddy Lee

Man_At_Arms September 17th, 2019 07:38 PM

I wouldn’t be able to make the 19th. The 12th would be great.

Chuck

Buddy Lee September 18th, 2019 03:30 PM

I have no issues with 10/12/19.

Buddy Lee

Dad_Scaper September 18th, 2019 03:33 PM

For now I want to keep it at the 19th. Let’s see what happens when site email notifications start going out again. Hopefully soon.

Dad_Scaper September 18th, 2019 04:57 PM

Reposting this because *finally* email notifications should be going out to all these fine folks, where I mention them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2313760)

Dad_Scaper September 18th, 2019 08:14 PM

Ok. I've confirmed a few people for the 19th, so I think we'll stick with it. Unfortunately, it's HS football season, so between that and his other obligations akden is out. But I am starting to add up attendees, and I want to see some action in this thread. Come on, old friends! :)

Gurei-Ornery September 19th, 2019 11:05 AM

Let's do this! If it is going to be small, we could do fewer longer rounds with bigger armies.

I will put up a TBD format post on the store's Facebook page.

Dad_Scaper September 19th, 2019 12:40 PM

Excellent. I’m holding off on deciding the format. But I will!

Will you be playing, too, GO?

Gurei-Ornery September 19th, 2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2314611)
Excellent. I’m holding off on deciding the format. But I will!

Will you be playing, too, GO?

Yes I will.

Dad_Scaper September 19th, 2019 04:42 PM

Excellent. You'll let me know about Stephen Universe when it gets closer.

Where is @kldonnelly ? Don't make me run one without you!

kldonnelly September 20th, 2019 10:07 AM

Huh. I didn't get the earlier email notification. Unfortunately, the 19th is already booked for me, but so is the 12th and the 26th. October is pretty packed.

Dad_Scaper September 20th, 2019 11:04 AM

Darn it!

Yeah, email notifications were down for the whole site for a couple of months. Would you please pass along this information to your friend, though? Just in case.

As for format, I am starting to think this should be a "Learn to Play" day, with some kind of competitive format mixed in. I am really trying to attract some younger players (I have particular ones in mind) and I suspect that such a format would also appeal to @Gurei-Ornery , as our kind host. Does that sound right, G-O? Something for new players and old?

Gurei-Ornery September 20th, 2019 02:09 PM

I believe Learn to Play might be good. I think there are some lurkers at the store that I am told ask about Heroscape when they see my stuff on the shelves in the miniatures game room. We have started doing Learn to Play events for other games and they seem to be doing well.

Dad_Scaper September 20th, 2019 02:30 PM

Right, that's what I was thinking. You have it on hand, and I know you like to show it off.

I have just the thing in mind. I'll write it up later.

Dad_Scaper September 22nd, 2019 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2313760)
Greetings, everybody!

How is 10/19 at @Gurei-Ornery 's shop in Hagerstown for everybody?

In:
  1. DS
  2. Buddy Lee
  3. JohnnyFrisbee
  4. JF+1
  5. JF+2
  6. G-O

Maybe:
Brad
Rob's #1
Rob's #2

@Stephen Universe , @akden @kldonnelly , @Taeblewalker , @Robber , @drewcula , @OverEngineered , @G1shark , @Sagrilarus , @Lamaclown , @Sherman Davies , @Grishnakh , @Man_At_Arms , @Johngee , @hose , @Southwind , @tom , @9BelowMadness , @DragonSlayer2 , @DragonBorne , @Man_At_Arms , @hose , @vvildeyedjoker , @Jet , @Famous_Seamus , @Earl_of_Sandwich , @JohnnyFrisbee , @Nikkomon , @Elstree , @Buddy Lee , and @bunjee

Tagging everyone all over again because we’re bumping the event up to 10/12. That will be better for more people and it’s still good for G-O and the shop.

Dad_Scaper September 22nd, 2019 11:30 AM

Re: NHSD in Maryland! 10/12!!

Oh good! Looks like that’s one person really enthusiastic about joining us. Heh.

Gurei-Ornery September 22nd, 2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2315259)
Oh good! Looks like that’s one person really enthusiastic about joining us. Heh.

Lol. You are in rare form my friend.

Dad_Scaper September 22nd, 2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man_At_Arms (Post 2314264)

Chuck

Did you see I switched to the 12th?

Man_At_Arms September 23rd, 2019 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2315418)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Man_At_Arms (Post 2314264)

Chuck

Did you see I switched to the 12th?

Oh good, the 12th was always the obvious choice ;). Can you tag TheEpicAlpaca and MathJedi? I will reach out to them as well.

Dad_Scaper September 23rd, 2019 07:23 AM

@TheEpicAlpaca @mathjedi

Jet September 23rd, 2019 07:44 PM

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. Hope you gain some new HS fans!

Dad_Scaper September 23rd, 2019 10:43 PM

Oh, that's a shame. It's been a long time, Jet!

Man_At_Arms September 24th, 2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2315473)

Epic and 9Below are maybes right now

Dad_Scaper September 24th, 2019 10:08 PM

Ok. I'll put them in the OP.

Dad_Scaper September 24th, 2019 10:10 PM

G-O, let me know about Stephen Universe and also if you get a sense of shop guys coming to play.

Dad_Scaper September 24th, 2019 10:37 PM

I'm torn between two formats, and input is welcome.

Either (1) multiplayer free-for-all, which is a tried and tested local favorite (of mine, anyway), or (2) the Flex format from GenCon, where people can come and go as they please and just play the whole time without stopping, as long as there's someone around to play. I would, if we take Option 2, allow people to bring 2 armies if they want, and they can use whichever they prefer from round to round.

Thoughts?

Gurei-Ornery September 26th, 2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2316128)

Either (1) multiplayer free-for-all, which is a tried and tested local favorite (of mine, anyway), or (2) the Flex format from GenCon, where people can come and go as they please and just play the whole time without stopping, as long as there's someone around to play. I would, if we take Option 2, allow people to bring 2 armies if they want, and they can use whichever they prefer from round to round.

Thoughts?

2 sounds interesting and may work at the store. I feel like I don't understand though. Are you saying someone could walk in and say "Oooo, I remember Heroscape. I would love to play a game, but I only have an hour or so." We could give them an army and they could play and it wouldn't mess up the tournament standings?

Man_At_Arms September 27th, 2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2316128)

Thoughts?

With the 2nd option, how would we deal with poor matchups? Both players can switch their army until neither side benefits from a change?

Dad_Scaper September 27th, 2019 02:10 PM

What I'm thinking of now is "Bring 1 or 2." People can bring 2 armies if they want, and then just figure out who is using which army.

Of course, it's a terrible idea for a fiercely competitive environment. But if people just want to goof off, say, or if people find themselves wanting to use something different, or maybe try out an army that the opponent brought, just for the sake of variety, then they could. It ups the flexibility and fun, but definitely takes away from the competitive tension.

And, for people who just want to bring one army and use it the whole time, they could. They could even trade armies, if they wanted.

The main idea is everybody bring 1 or 2 armies. At the beginning of every round (if we do a firm structure of rounds), each pair of opponents comes up with some way to divide the 2-4 armies at that table so that each player has 1. And then play.

Does that sound like fun? Or would people prefer something more firmly structured, like we've done in the past?

Gurei-Ornery September 27th, 2019 02:34 PM

I’m up for either, not sure how it will go. I feel like it is tough to charge any money when it is free form. I do like the idea of random armies. We could say all armies go into a pool that we roll to pick a starting army from. Then the armies get matched up just like a normal tournament but the players get randomized again somehow. Not sure how you would come up with a winner, but the better armies at least would be matched against each other.

Dad_Scaper September 27th, 2019 02:47 PM

This is what I'm thinking, drawing together my last couple of posts into something more concrete:

1. Traditional round structure.
2. Bring 1 or 2 armies of [size/points].
3. Each round, play your opponent. Each person has one of the armies, but each pair of opponents can figure out who is using what. Doesn't matter as long as both players are happy.
4. Because of Step 1, we can do prizes as normal at the end. But because of Step 3, we have the flexibility of people doing stuff like trading armies if they want. Just more flexibility, which I think some of us would like.

Thoughts?

kldonnelly September 27th, 2019 09:03 PM

Good news! My other event got cancelled (boo!), but that frees my son and me up for coming to the tournament.

And I do like the structure that you proposed.

Dad_Scaper September 27th, 2019 09:10 PM

Excellent!

edit: @kldonnelly , will you please let me know if we can expect Ken?

And where the heck is @OverEngineered ?

Dad_Scaper September 27th, 2019 10:35 PM

Check out the OP, everybody! We have a format!

This one is somewhat unorthodox. I hope people will like the opportunity to be flexible during the tournament, and maybe even to try using an army that they didn't bring.

OverEngineered September 28th, 2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2317724)
Excellent!

edit: @kldonnelly , will you please let me know if we can expect Ken?

And where the heck is @OverEngineered ?

Notifications on this site are broken. I get them less than half of the time.

Knowing that, I was just on these boards a couple weeks ago, checking if there was any recent tournament announcements from you or GO. It feels like it’s been a while and I’ve been itching to play. The last announcement I could find was GO’s tourny that never materialized.

Alas, I can’t make the 12th because I’ll be in Pittsburgh for a wedding. Heck, the 19th wouldn’t have worked for me either because it’s my son’s 8th birthday. It’s about time I get him to one of these events and it sounds like this would be a perfect format. :(

Gurei-Ornery October 4th, 2019 10:00 AM

Maps?

Dad_Scaper October 4th, 2019 10:06 AM

Yup, I intend to get to that today.

Do you have any already constructed at the shop, GO?

Gurei-Ornery October 4th, 2019 01:25 PM

I think I needed to tear them down during a cleanup, but I will check this weekend.

Dad_Scaper October 5th, 2019 04:34 PM

Maps are up!

I'm still waiting to hear about Ken ( @kldonnelly ) and Stephen_Universe ( @Gurei-Ornery ). And other last minute-additions are welcome!

GO, let me know if you're getting interest from people at the shop.

kldonnelly October 5th, 2019 09:11 PM

Talked to Ken tonight. He's a yes. We'll be in the Mini so I can't bring a built map. If you need me to, I can bring tiles to build at the store.

Dad_Scaper October 7th, 2019 11:49 AM

So far it looks like we'll need 7 maps. That number might go up a bit. Who can bring one or two?

@Man_At_Arms , any word from the others in the Garden State? @Gurei-Ornery , what about Stephen Universe?

Dad_Scaper October 7th, 2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kldonnelly (Post 2320698)
Talked to Ken tonight. He's a yes. We'll be in the Mini so I can't bring a built map. If you need me to, I can bring tiles to build at the store.

Excellent!

Watch this space. I don't think you'll need to bring loose terrain. We'll see. Thank you for offering.

Gurei-Ornery October 7th, 2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2321213)
So far it looks like we'll need 7 maps. That number might go up a bit. Who can bring one or two?

@Man_At_Arms , any word from the others in the Garden State? @Gurei-Ornery , what about Stephen Universe?

I think SU is out. There are a couple of lurkers at the store. Probably should have an extra map. Or I might offer to teach people that only have time for a game, if there ends up being an odd number.

Dad_Scaper October 7th, 2019 03:02 PM

This format will be very good for people breezing in and out of the store, only available for a game or two.

Dad_Scaper October 9th, 2019 05:49 PM

@Man_At_Arms , it looks like I'm going to need some help with maps. Can you bring a couple? And have you heard anything from our friends?