Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=33458)

1Mmirg February 23rd, 2012 01:35 PM

Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I appreciate the answers. You've clearly thought this through, even if you're allowing for some odd situations, in order to keep the card (relatively) simple. And I'm glad to see that I wasn't misunderstanding the card too much.

I basically understood it, but it also still seems forced. Reavers riding horses, movement ends just by dismounting, and Horses that don't act like all other Mounts in the game, well, it all just does not seem to fit, to me. These Horses are better than Theracus (a Unique winged Hero/Mount) in almost every way. It feels like a redesign of Scape's ideas about Mount and Cavalry, rather than an addition to it.

Maybe I'm off, but I don't feel like the Horse fits into the Scape canon. I'm sorry.

I vote NO to review.

MegaSilver February 23rd, 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Mmirg (Post 1565544)
I appreciate the answers. You've clearly thought this through, even if you're allowing for some odd situations, in order to keep the card (relatively) simple. And I'm glad to see that I wasn't misunderstanding the card too much.

I basically understood it, but it also still seems forced. Reavers riding horses, turns ending with dismounting, and Horses that don't act like all other Mounts in the game, well, it all just does not seem to fit, to me. These Horses are better than Theracus (a Unique winged Hero/Mount) in almost every way. It feels like a redesign of Scape's ideas about Mount and Cavalry, rather than an addition to it.

Maybe I'm off, but I don't feel like the Horse fits into the Scape canon. I'm sorry.

I vote NO to review.

I would like to clarify that movement ends with dismounting.

But thanks for looking at him, anyway.

qt.bangerang February 23rd, 2012 03:52 PM

After thinking about and reading through the discussion on the War Horse of Troy, I have to agree with 1Mmirg that it doesn't fit with the already established 'scape powers...and I too, don't feel it fits into the 'scape cannon.

I vote NO to review War Horse of Troy

Dad_Scaper February 23rd, 2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qt.bangerang (Post 1565600)
After thinking about and reading through the discussion on the War Horse of Troy, I have to agree with 1Mmirg that it doesn't fit with the already established 'scape powers...and I too, don't feel it fits into the 'scape cannon.

I vote NO to review War Horse of Troy

It's not a

http://www.strange-mecha.com/german/...ora-gustav.jpg

it's a

http://www.copierscopiers.com/store/...tte%20unit.jpg

:down: to reviewing MegaSilver's War Horse of Troy, which I note could not have been named "Horse," because that name is already taken by a horse in a novel with a name familiar to many of you. Though I suspect more of you saw the movie than read the book.

What book, turned into a movie, featured a horse named Horse? I don't believe the name came up in the movie.

Ready, set, Guess!

Hint but no answer in the spoiler.
Spoiler Alert!

tcglkn February 23rd, 2012 04:37 PM

You guys just want a Horse with Carry? This horse offers much more mechanical flavor to the game.

Dad_Scaper February 23rd, 2012 04:51 PM

No doubt, Tickle.

I briefly owned a copy of the legendary wargame Blitzkrieg. It came with basic and advanced rules. The basic rules looked maybe doable, you could read them and think about them and play the game.

The advanced rules added a host of effects and twists and turns and little things, and to play with the advanced rules you would need to check the tables and whatnot constantly to make sure you were doing everything right.

The Horse of Troy is not a *bad* design, but its mechanics are very tricky. Even if it is consistent and doesn't have problem corner cases (and I'm not sure it doesn't; what happens when a Horse gets Mind Shackled), it would be something more like Blitzkrieg's Advanced Rules and not the Basic ones.

I'm not saying the Advanced Rules are bad, and they are certainly consistent with the Basic Rules, but they are not exactly the same game, and in my opinion, as I've said now publicly and privately, the War Horse of Troy is too groundbreaking, too complex, to fit neatly within the Heroscape canon.

1Mmirg February 23rd, 2012 05:55 PM

Never said I just wanted "Carry"; I did say that the current design is too much, has too many oddities, and doesn't finally feel like it fits. I could imagine a horse that does something more than Carry, but I can't see including this Horse seamlessly in with Scape as it currently stands.

That's not doublespeak, it's as close as I can get to saying what I feel. This is a fun design, but it "breaks" core aspects of Scape (as I understand Scape). I can easily imagine a Horse that wouldn't "break" anything and wouldn't just have Carry, while still being a thematic (and *innovative*) fit into Scape. That's the goal of the SoV. Not to redefine Scape, but to take what's good (and quirky) about it, and do more with that. :)

robbdaman February 23rd, 2012 05:58 PM

Theracus works because it is simple and won't require a ton of special rules developed just to use. When D&D Miniatures created mounted rules they had to come up with a big complicated mess that worked with the current rules and still mechanically worked the way they wanted. The result was a rule set that few people wanted to use because it was a big mess that didn't benefit the player enough. So I think you can guess what I think about developing mounted rules for Heroscape.

William099 February 26th, 2012 01:59 AM

Priscus by Filthy the Clown
Yes-5 (1Mmirg, Killometer, Lamaclown, nyys, ZBeeblebrox) No-0 Pending-2 (Dad_Scaper, qt.bangerang)

So what happens if Dad_Scaper and qt.bangerang vote no on Priscus? Does he get inducted by majority vote or does he get scrapped because the vote wasn't unanimous?

Sherman Davies February 26th, 2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 1565607)
What book, turned into a movie, featured a horse named Horse? I don't believe the name came up in the movie.

Ready, set, Guess!

Hint but no answer in the spoiler.
Spoiler Alert!

Answer:

Spoiler Alert!

ZBeeblebrox February 26th, 2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William099 (Post 1567232)
Priscus by Filthy the Clown
Yes-5 (1Mmirg, Killometer, Lamaclown, nyys, ZBeeblebrox) No-0 Pending-2 (Dad_Scaper, qt.bangerang)

So what happens if Dad_Scaper and qt.bangerang vote no on Priscus? Does he get inducted by majority vote or does he get scrapped because the vote wasn't unanimous?

From the By-laws:
Quote:

8. Units that receive a super-majority of 75% (currently 6 out of a possible 7) of the Council will be formatted and given the Soldiers of Valhalla Seal of Approval. Judges may abstain from a vote on a particular unit, thereby reducing the total number of votes needed for acceptance.

William099 February 26th, 2012 10:43 PM

So he'd get scrapped?