Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Marvel Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Players who got hooked through Marvelscape. (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=19931)

Sherman Davies July 9th, 2008 02:48 AM

Players who got hooked through Marvelscape.

In the year that I've been on these boards I've heard from a good number of people who've said that Marvelscape was their introduction to Heroscape, but I don't recall a thread attempting to catalog the numbers and identities of all of us who were attracted to 'Scape by the prospect of playing Heroclix on a 3-D map with excellent rules (apologies to any Heroclixers I've offended ;)).

Anyway, in this discussion about the future of Heroscape the subject of players who were brought in through the Marvel license came up (starting around page 6 of that thread), and I decided to make a thread where we could raise our hands and be counted. So please post in this thread if you decided to try Heroscape because you heard about Marvelscape - I will try and keep this first post updated with a list of everyone who does so. Here goes...

56 Heroscapers who were hooked through Marvelscape

80's Freak
artemiscorso
Atombob1
Balantai
belgarath
Bill Sykes
blooded scion
boodog
brandonwiker
CHAZ!
CJtheMighty
clonedpoop
Crypto-Knight
DarkJawa
ellak96
EternalThanos86
fomox
Frostvii
Garada
generalgina
Gojira
Gunnbjorn
heroscaper2010
Heroscaper Guy
ibechief
Jdet
jschild
LarryKruger
lefton4ya
Lord Pyre
lwayman
Mars1912
Matt Helm
Ms. heroscaper2010
Name653
Nikmis
phnx911
Plordigian
RedPower
ROM
saywhat
sgt.heroscape
shelbass
Sherman Davies
The Silver Surfer
sinerG
Skwib
Snoop Greyjoy
Strange Love
stubobj
Super Bogue
TREX
UnluckyNumber
Vanilla Thunder
vikinglad
Wolvie

stubobj July 9th, 2008 09:39 AM

Re: Did Marvel get you to try Heroscape?

I guess you could say I started with Marvel. I actually had done a ton of research on the game before I bought it. When I did finally make a purchase it was Marvel and 2 RotV. The main reason I got the Marvel was for my wife. My thinking was that if she started the game with characters she was familiar with then maybe she would enjoy it more. She loved kickin my butt with Captain America. So I guess in conclusion you can tally a mark for both me and my wife for being introduced through Marvel, even though I was already hooked before playing.

Snoop Greyjoy July 9th, 2008 10:41 AM

Some of my friends were playing Heroscape and I wasnt much interested as I was into Heroclix at the time. When I found out I could play Superheroes (albeit only a few) I then had an interest in trying Heroscape.
Now I love Heroscape!
Put me down as a "yes" to your question.:D

R˙chean July 9th, 2008 11:55 AM

No

I will point out that such a question presented in the Marvel section of the forum will yield results slanted towards the Marvel player. Not sure where the best place to put such a question but you will have a large group of posters that will never see it because they do not frequent the marvel section of the forums.

Sherman Davies July 9th, 2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R˙chean (Post 610899)
No

I will point out that such a question presented in the Marvel section of the forum will yield results slanted towards the Marvel player. Not sure the best to put such a question but you will have a large group of posters that will never see it becasue they do not frequent the marvel section of the forums.

Well, I guess the point of the thread isn't really to hear from the people who DIDN'T get hooked through Marvelscape - it's more of an attempt to have a comprehensive list of the people who did, so being biased towards members who frequent this part of the forums isn't a problem.

I think my title is poorly chosen. Perhaps an admin change it to something like, "Players who got hooked through Marvelscape."

Also, list updated.

Cavalier July 9th, 2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherman Davies (Post 610933)
Quote:

No

I will point out that such a question presented in the Marvel section of the forum will yield results slanted towards the Marvel player. Not sure the best to put such a question but you will have a large group of posters that will never see it becasue they do not frequent the marvel section of the forums.

Well, I guess the point of the thread isn't really to hear from the people who DIDN'T get hooked through Marvelscape - it's more of an attempt to have a comprehensive list of the people who did, so being biased towards members who frequent this part of the forums isn't a problem.

I think my title is poorly chosen. Perhaps an admin change it to something like, "Players who got hooked through Marvelscape."

Also, list updated.

You can edit your own thread title. Click on http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ttons/edit.gif in your first post, then click on Go Advanced and you can edit the title.

Sherman Davies July 9th, 2008 12:58 PM

Re: Players who got hooked through Marvelscape.

Thanks to Grungebob (via PM) and Cav for the info about title editing. I didn't know that was one of the new site's features.

Cavalier July 9th, 2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherman Davies (Post 610960)
Thanks to Grungebob (via PM) and Cav for the info about title editing. I didn't know that was one of the new site's features.

Glad to help. :thumbsup: (You could actually do it on the old site, too. ;))

clonedpoop July 9th, 2008 02:10 PM

I knew about HS and played it, but it wasn't until Marvelscape came out that I started buying myself. So you can count me in as hooked by Marvel.

Snoop Greyjoy July 9th, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

No

Good point, however I use the "Today's posts" feature and wasnt browsing in the Marvel area. So put me down as "yes and wasnt reading the Marvel threads."
:D

The Silver Surfer July 9th, 2008 07:05 PM

Yes, I was hooked by marvel.... Don't you just love Christmas??

hexplex? July 10th, 2008 01:38 PM

I can't say that I was hooked on HeroScape by playing the Marvel version, as I have never even played it. However I will say that seeing the release of the Marvel MS gave me a lot of consumer confidence in the HeroScape product and helped influence my decision to "Scape."

Atombob July 11th, 2008 02:16 PM

I was "hooked through Marvelscape"

Picked it up at the SDCC 2007 and once I played my first game with it I immediately had to buy everything Heroscape related.

CHAZ! July 13th, 2008 07:42 PM

i got hooked on heroscape through the marvel set.

scottishlad5 July 13th, 2008 10:47 PM

I think I'll play Marvel scape when they make a deadpool.

Sherman Davies July 13th, 2008 11:08 PM

Updated list.

C'mon guys, I know there are more of us out there - let's speak up and be counted! :)

Lord Pyre July 13th, 2008 11:19 PM

I've played it a bit before Marvelscape, since my brother had the master set, but I only started buying it when Marvel came out. I ordered it online a few days after it was released, but bought Heroes of Durgeth (With Kaemon and Kee-Mo-Shi) before it arrived.

80's Freak July 18th, 2008 12:54 PM

I'm another one that got into Heroscape through Marvelscape. I had played two games using ROTV before but the game didn't do much for me. I wasn't familiar with the rules, the characters, etc.

I picked up the Marvel set at Gen Con 2007 as I'm a total Marvel freak and will play almost anything bearing that license at least once. My buddies who were already playing Heroscape let me play my Marvel team and from that very first game I was hooked. Now my HS collection is obscene.

I do hope that WotC continues to bring out Marvel licensed products. I think they may serve to grow the base HS contingent even more. Someone called Marvelscape a gateway drug. For me, it was exactly that.

Make mine Marvel!

-Freak-

Sherman Davies July 20th, 2008 04:01 AM

Updated list.

I wish I could remember the exact circumstances that led me to get interested in Marvelscape. As it is, I'm about 80% sure that I saw it last summer in Previews, Diamond's ordering catalog, but that uncertain 20% is just killin' me.

LarryKruger July 20th, 2008 05:32 AM

I got hooked through MarvelScape, although in all honesty, it was given to me as a gift, and I likely would have gotten hooked on HeroScape through whatever master set I was given as a gift.

Ugly-Caco July 21st, 2008 09:58 PM

I've introduce Heroscape to about 8 people this past 2 weeks. 2 of them buddies of mine are hooked with Marvel. They're going to get their Marvel sets this August when one of them's brother arrive from the States. Awesome part is, I get to order HS stuff for myself.

Heroscape + Marvel is awesome. :headbang:

Sherman Davies August 30th, 2008 01:44 AM

My recent foray into superhero customs making reminded me of this thread, so :tumble:

Hopefully I'll have enough customs soon to start a display thread.

Ugly-Caco August 30th, 2008 05:28 AM

How many do you have? I'm pretty sure 1 is ok to start a thread. :D

Onacara August 30th, 2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco (Post 660099)
How many do you have? I'm pretty sure 1 is ok to start a thread. :D

We have seen people start them with none. :roll:

ABOMINATION September 4th, 2008 09:59 AM

I got started on Heroscape in the beginning of 2005 when we were watching a movie. My older brother was at a friends house and called us to tell us about an awesome new game he was playing. He said it was called Heroscape. Later that month I was at Wal-mart and saw the Master Set. I had no idea how to play or who the figures were but I just bought it. We played later that night and had a blast. Anyway, I can safely say I got hooked on Heroscape before I ever saw Marvelscape.:D

Sherman Davies January 18th, 2009 12:05 AM

I just read in another thread about a player who just got into Heroscape this past Christmas because he received Marvelscape as a gift, and it reminded me of this thread, so I figured I'd give it a :bump:

Garada January 18th, 2009 12:40 AM

Add me to the list.

I was shambling around Toys'R'Us with a few extra bucks in my pocket, scouring the clearance priced games and what do I see but MarvelScape for $19.99. Now I had noticed 'Scape in the past but to my shame and regret I had dismissed it due to it being put out by Hasbro. Sure, it looked nice, but I've been suckered in by 'bimbo games' before... a box full of pretty plastic with nothing going on upstairs. I'm an 'oldschool' RPG player and wargamer, so I have standards, ya know?

Anyway, I figured for twenty bucks, the figures looked nice and would come in handy for RPGs in the future [not that adult life allows me to ever play RPGs any more] plus I could always use the terrain for other wargames [which I also never seem to have the time to play].

When the penny dropped that the rules were elegant [not simple], the game looked fantastic when all set up and the minis didn't require painting, I was hooked.

Needless to say, it was the best [and worst] purchase I have made in a long long time. HS is basically the most awesome game ever created for my personal tastes, interests, amount of free time, group of friends, etc. That I can get my NON-gaming lady and friends to play... a Tabletop Strategy Wargame!? It's madness, really. The addition of iconic Marvel characters only adds to the appeal for casual players. My girlfriend loves Captain America, and I'm sure he's the sole reason she agreed to play in the first place.

Curse you MarvelScape... you got your hooks in me bad! Gotta buy more 'Scape... I just need a little more... something to hold me over... just help me out man I NEEDS IT!!! 8)

Waiting for Wave 9, I now understand the Velvet Underground song 'Waiting For The Man'.

Sherman Davies January 18th, 2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garada (Post 743874)
Needless to say, it was the best [and worst] purchase I have made in a long long time.

Most of us here would agree. :)

List updated.

jschild January 19th, 2009 12:07 PM

Add myself, my son, and my non-gaming wife to the list.

I know it appears that many old school HS'ers don't like the marvel set, but without it, would have never jumped into it. Heck, my son is gonna buy 2 more blister packs today probably.

The Silver Surfer January 19th, 2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschild (Post 744488)
Add myself, my son, and my non-gaming wife to the list.

I know it appears that many old school HS'ers don't like the marvel set, but without it, would have never jumped into it. Heck, my son is gonna buy 2 more blister packs today probably.

Do those come from opening the packs, or from holding them too tight because you're worried someone else will try to take them from you? ;)

jschild January 19th, 2009 12:38 PM

From opening the packs, while trying your absolute best not to bend any of the cards while doing so :P

Sherman Davies January 27th, 2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschild (Post 744510)
From opening the packs, while trying your absolute best not to bend any of the cards while doing so :P

Yeah, that can be really tricky.

Consider yourself added to the list. :)

Frostvii January 27th, 2009 12:22 AM

I wanted to add myself to the list.

I'm another one that would've never looked at HS if it weren't for Marvel. Huge comic fan, but I'm more of a console RPGer. I just happen to be surrounded by friends and family who are comic addicts. I saw it a while back at WalMart and it caught my eye bc I just started collecting the Mighty Muggs (terrible addiction) but shrugged my shoulders. Early this month I saw it on sale and pretty much jumped on the wagon. I told my cousin about it bc he would tell me about a game he played when he was younger (I believe it was Classic Marvel RPG). I showed him the game and he was said he had nothing better to do. After playing for 20 minutes, we went out and bought 15 Heroclix and 50, yes 50, more the week after.

The only really bad thing that's occured was walking into a store that was exclusively Heroclix, WarHammer 40K and such. The worker was super creepy and continuously kept ripping on HS and said HeroClix was delivered by God himself. We just nodded and walked away. Besides that, its super cool game and I think we almost spend more time customizing then the game so far.

Sherman Davies January 27th, 2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostvii (Post 749393)
The only really bad thing that's occured was walking into a store that was exclusively Heroclix, WarHammer 40K and such. The worker was super creepy and continuously kept ripping on HS and said HeroClix was delivered by God himself. We just nodded and walked away.

Yeah, that seems an all too common experience in a lot of game stores.

Anyway, Frostvii is added to the list at lucky number 13!

phnx911 February 3rd, 2009 06:58 PM

I bought my Husband Marvelscape for Christmas this year. I wanted to know if we would like the game and the marvel set seemed like less of a commitment and we are both big comic buffs so it was a comfy place to start.

Sherman Davies February 4th, 2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phnx911 (Post 754044)
I bought my Husband Marvelscape for Christmas this year. I wanted to know if we would like the game and the marvel set seemed like less of a commitment and we are both big comic buffs so it was a comfy place to start.

Welcome to the club, phnx911!

I hope you and your family have a great time with this awesome game. Is your husband on these boards as well?

ROM February 4th, 2009 05:58 PM

I had seen Heroscape on the shelves and, though it looked interesting, passed on it.

When I heard the news that they were releasing a Marvel version I went out and bought ROTV, the castle set and the RTTFF to use as more terrain for the upcoming Marvel set. Later I picked up the second starter set with the Marro swamp.

I've still never played with any of the classic Heroscape figures.

Sherman Davies February 4th, 2009 11:49 PM

Well, despite not having played with any of the normalscape figures, I guess that counts as hooked on the game - welcome to the list! You should really consider trying them, though. Classic Heroscape is a great game too.

Love your name and avatar, by the way. If only Heroclix could've ever gotten the rights to do a ROM figure, my collection of Marvel custom figures would be complete.

ROM February 5th, 2009 04:42 PM

I just haven't found anyone willing to play.

My best hope is in a few years when my son and nephew are old enough to get into it.

Sherman Davies February 8th, 2009 10:11 PM

Why not try the Meet Other Scapers section of the site? I know there's a pretty popular Ohio thread in there.

fomox February 9th, 2009 12:56 AM

I never saw this thread, and I'd wager many others didn't see it either. In any case, it was certainly Marvel that pulled me in. The Marro on the cover of RotV seemed uninteresting to me, and the $40 price tag seemed a bit steep to just try out on a whim.

But one day my son saw the Marvel set at Walmart, and so I figured we could take a shot at it. Loved it, went back and bought RotV, a pack of WoA and a pack of Nakitas the next day. (We needed some girl characters for my daughter.) Then I really, really got into it.

My wife got a bunch of Marvel sets on clearance at Target later on, and we used them as birthday/Christmas presents for cousins and kids' friends. At least two of those kids got hooked pretty heavily, too.

Marvel was an excellent gateway drug . . . er, game, for us.

--

To ROM, I'd certainly recommend trying the other characters, too. Even if you just play against yourself (I do that more often than I care to admit...)

Off topic: Every time I see your avatar, it reminds me of the stack of ROM comics sitting in my basement. I didn't know anyone still knew who ROM was.

Sherman Davies February 9th, 2009 09:51 AM

Welcome, fomox! Glad to have you on the list.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how many of us here have fond memories of ROM. I gotta say, though, that one of the scariest things I've ever seen on the internet (and that's saying something) was some girl's ROM fanpage filled with her own drawings and paintings of her on ROM - in his human form - in romantic settings like picnics and beaches and whatnot. I believe she had also written a bunch of love poems to him, too. Creepy.

EternalThanos86 February 9th, 2009 07:26 PM

Add me to the list. When I first played, we only had the classic game, but when we got the Marvel, then things escalated to a whole new level and I fell for the game as a whole.

~ET86

Sherman Davies February 11th, 2009 02:03 AM

Come on in, ET86! Good to have high-rep members like you and fomox on it; I think it shows that Marvel has done a lot to enrich this community.

artemiscorso February 11th, 2009 12:47 PM

I definitely started playing Heroscape because of the Marvel game. I
would never have even bought any Heroscape products if not for the inclusion of some of my favorite super heroes. That being said I do enjoy the entirety of Heroscape immensely. Broader marketing can only help Heroscape. I am disappointed they never released any more marvel expansions, as I was under the assumption they would. I can make my
customs but I kind of like how the official heroscape marvel sculpts work
with the game better than the heroclix ones.

gorthan313 February 11th, 2009 02:57 PM

I think that anyone "on the edge" about buying the Marvel set should read this thread!

Sherman Davies February 13th, 2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artemiscorso (Post 758039)
I definitely started playing Heroscape because of the Marvel game. I
would never have even bought any Heroscape products if not for the inclusion of some of my favorite super heroes. That being said I do enjoy the entirety of Heroscape immensely. Broader marketing can only help Heroscape. I am disappointed they never released any more marvel expansions, as I was under the assumption they would. I can make my
customs but I kind of like how the official heroscape marvel sculpts work
with the game better than the heroclix ones.

Thanks for speaking up, artemiscorso - you're now on the list.

I'm disappointed as well about the status of the Marvel expansion. I really like making customs, but having official figures would lessen my load, as well as provide me more supers to use as a basis for comparison for my custom heroes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorthan313 (Post 758074)
I think that anyone "on the edge" about buying the Marvel set should read this thread!

Thanks, gorthan. My original hope for this thread was for it to serve as evidence of how many new players Marvelscape brought to this great game. If it also encourages people who only have regular Heroscape to buy some of those Marvel sets out there, even better.

Drewman-chu February 15th, 2009 11:35 AM

I did not get hooked on heroscape through Marvel but I know play more Marvel games than classic. I have recently started using the custom cards because I don't think we will see a Wave 1 for Marvel. This has really made Heroscape. I am currently preparing a Marvel "March Madness tournament" to crown the overall champion of Marvel Heroscape. I would definitely recommend Marvel Heroscape to go along with Classic Heroscape.