Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Diplomacy (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53767)

Dad_Scaper February 3rd, 2017 09:57 AM

Diplomacy

Anyone here interested in a game of Diplomacy?

Diplomacy over the internet, done right, is an investment of a significant period of time. Not lots of hours in one week, but lots of smaller blocks of time over a much longer period. And if you agree to play and then drop out or go silent during the game, you are significantly harming the experience for the remaining players.

On the other hand, it is a truly great game. Of all the older games I know - chess, Scrabble, Risk, whatever - it is the only one that I believe is still the kind of its niche. It is an abstract (in the sense that there are no random elements) game of negotiation and tactics set at the dawn of 20th century Europe, and it needs seven to play.

Any interest?

Spoiler Alert!

And, over three years later, at the dawn of our fourth game, here are the standings:
History of the Heroscapers Dipomacy Games:

Game 1: 2 Way Draw (Kinseth/Turkey-kevindola/Italy) - March 2017
Game 2: Solo (Kinseth/Russia) - August 2017
Game 3: Solo (Kinseth/Austria) - Feb. 2018
Game 4: 2 Way Draw (scorpiusx/England-kevindola/France) - Jan 2020
Game 5 - 5 Way Draw (kevindola - Italy/Kinseth - England/Ranior - Russia/Dragon Ruler - Austria/quozl - France) - November 2020 5 way Draw

Participants
Spoiler Alert!

Many thanks to @kevindola for compiling that record, which is current as of 11/11/20.

quozl February 3rd, 2017 10:11 AM

Re: Diplomacy

Me! (Or I can act as referee and teach others to play.)

dok February 3rd, 2017 10:19 AM

@Kinseth has been bragging about his most recent Diplomacy success for months now.

Kinseth February 3rd, 2017 10:30 AM

Count me in!

Dad_Scaper February 3rd, 2017 10:40 AM

Oy. I am already dreading this wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Kinseth February 3rd, 2017 11:17 AM

You know what you are getting yourself signed up for! :)

Dad_Scaper February 3rd, 2017 11:31 AM

Yes, (8)), but I'm not going to push it. If we don't have seven people genuinely committed then I'd rather not bother. I've had a lot of fun in the PBEM community in times gone by, but it's a pain when someone goes AWOL.

Kinseth February 3rd, 2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2134595)
Yes, (8)), but I'm not going to push it. If we don't have seven people genuinely committed then I'd rather not bother. I've had a lot of fun in the PBEM community in times gone by, but it's a pain when someone goes AWOL.

Yes, agreed. I am finishing a game where one player went AWOL.

I've played on Dip2000.com (A strict play by email site.)since about 2002, but the site is shutting down now. Signed up for a game over at Diplomaticcorp.com. Will give this one a try, feels more PBEM.

Dad_Scaper February 3rd, 2017 11:49 AM

I played on the Ken Lowe judges for a few years. I think that community is dormant. I can reach out to some people to get us set up on one, or on one of the current versions of that type of setup, if we get enough people.

Zetsubo February 3rd, 2017 04:07 PM

If anyone can teach me or link the rules I'd be interested in joining if you need another player.

quozl February 3rd, 2017 04:12 PM

Here you go! Rules: http://faculty.washington.edu/majeski/426/sim1.html

dok February 3rd, 2017 07:56 PM

I'm not a huge Diplo fan but if it's all 'scapers playing then I'd play if it gets us to 7 players.