Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 January 29th, 2013 01:13 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 1753070)
I think Underestimated should work without him having any experience. Not having experience is how he got underestimated in the first place.
A good part of that power is that it protects him until he levels up
I also reduced it down to working with any figure on my unpublished mockups. But something about Unique Heroes makes the underestimation thematically tasty. Random scrubs don't estimate their actions, they just do what they're told without more or less integrity.

I'd prefer Alternate Reality to work with any order marker

Yeah, he wouldn't be seen a threat, but until he gained some knowledge/experience from the other reality, he wouldn't be. As far as commons not being affected, the scrubs were probably told by the hero to go kill that wimpy guy over there. I think when Underestimated is "on" it should help against all opponent's figures.

For the last line, do you mean Thomas could choose any other order marker that would be on his card? Say he has OM 1, OM 3, and the X. He uses OM 1. Then he's attacked and uses the X to do Alternate Reality. The next turn he's attacked again and can give up OM 3 to use Alternate Reality again? I could see that, especially since this version does not have any resurrection power.
Oooh! :ninja:'d

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753073)
I agree. What ideas do we have for Ability Cards? I'd say:
Counterstrike
A Leadership/Bonding ability
A hand-to-hand combat Special Attack
???
???

Counter Strike
Leadership
Tactical Switch?
Overextend?
Ranged Special Attack - Ray Gun?

Balantai January 29th, 2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1753090)

My only problem with Ray Gun is 'where would he get it?'

Balantai January 29th, 2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1753087)
TIME OUT
If Thomas Hunter receives enough wounds to be destroyed, you may reveal a numbered order marker on this card. If you do, ignore any wounds just received. You may not take a turn with the order marker you chose to reveal.
:D

I like ALTERNATE REALITY better than TIME OUT. It really fits the theme.
Why just a numbered OM? I'd say any OM.

Lamaclown January 29th, 2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753096)
Quote:

The future reality is absent of even our technology; they are completely technology challenged/deprived. Bringing the knowledge of how to create black powder from our reality was a technological advancement for the future reality.

mac122 January 29th, 2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1753103)
Quote:

Quote:

The future reality is absent of even our technology; they are completely technology challenged/deprived. Bringing the knowledge of how to create black powder from our reality was a technological advancement for the future reality.

Somebody had used Ray Gun as an example earlier on. Substitute Longbow? Or Blackpowder bomb?

Lamaclown January 29th, 2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753100)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1753087)
TIME OUT
If Thomas Hunter receives enough wounds to be destroyed, you may reveal a numbered order marker on this card. If you do, ignore any wounds just received. You may not take a turn with the order marker you chose to reveal.
:D

I like ALTERNATE REALITY better than TIME OUT. It really fits the theme.
Why just a numbered OM? I'd say any OM.

I am good with that as well.

Present proposal...
Quote:

TIME OUT (or whatever we want to call it)
If Thomas Hunter receives enough wounds to be destroyed, you may reveal an order marker on this card. If you do, ignore any wounds just received. You may not take a turn with the order marker you chose to reveal.

Balantai January 29th, 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So you're saying a Ray Gun is completely out of the question then. :D
This is why I think we should stick to abilities that he can learn.

Lamaclown January 29th, 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1753105)
Somebody had used Ray Gun as an example earlier on. Substitute Longbow? Or Blackpowder bomb?

Yeah, I saw that a while back but didn't say anything at the time.

As far as the books go, while he could transfer knowledge back and forth between realities, he pretty much only transferred his battle prowess of the future reality back to the present reality rather than any weapons creation knowledge; that was used actually only once and that was the black powder example.

Balantai January 29th, 2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1753105)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The problem is that he wouldn't just magically have a Longbow to use. He'd have to take the time to create one or find one. In our version, we're thematically having Thomas Hunter fall in combat immediately get up after having visited the alternate reality.

Oh...and I did the Ray Gun thing...8)

Balantai January 29th, 2013 01:39 PM

Latest version:

Thomas Hunter
Aquilla
Human
Unique Hero
Protector
Resolute

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 2

THOMAS OF HUNTER
Start the game with 5 Ability Glyphs face down next to this card. Wheneven Thomas Hunter successfully uses his Alternate Reality Special Power, choose a Ability Glyph and place it power-side up on this Army Card, up to a maximum of 3 Ability Glyphs. For the rest of the game, Thomas Hunter may use any Ability Glyph on this card as if it a Special Power on his card. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Ability Glyph on this card.

UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Treasure/Ability Glyph on this card, opponent's figures roll 1 less attack die when attacking Thomas Hunter with a normal attack.

TIME OUT
If Thomas Hunter receives enough wounds to be destroyed, you may reveal an order marker on this card. If you do, ignore any wounds just received. You may not take a turn with the order marker you chose to reveal.

Lamaclown January 29th, 2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753073)
I agree. What ideas do we have for Ability Cards? I'd say:
Counterstrike
A Leadership/Bonding ability
A hand-to-hand combat Special Attack
???
???

Counter Strike
Leadership
Tactical Switch?
Overextend?

The Tactical Switch is very thematic. In the book he develops a fighting style (in the future reality) that I would think would be very reminiscent of Wushu- very lethal but also flashy and acrobatic in its execution. An ability that gets across great agility and acrobatic qualities in offensive actions would be good.

Confred January 29th, 2013 01:42 PM

Timing: In theory, I like improving every round, because the slower pace tells a story. In function, I don't want our hero to level too quickly.
Reviewing the current version, we tie his gaining Power Glyphs to him using his Alternate Reality special power, and that power can only be activated by using an "X" order marker, then that advancement is reduced to 1 max a turn plus the removal of marker function. If we tie it to the removal of any marker, he can level up faster and have more survivability - at the expense of him sleeping away your turns.
I mention this to bring forth discussion on what pace we want his advancement to be.

Llama: What are some iconic traits from the book? Myself and the others can come up with cool and useful special powers, but they'd be of little thematic worth if they hold no ties to the source.

Edit: The reason why I didn't use the "X" order marker in my version of Escape Into Dream is because I didn't want him using it after he powered up to max for broken invulnerability. Adding the 20-sided die roll requisite works. : agree

Edit: Theme Break detected: He currently only sleeps to avoid damage. He should also be able to sleep whenever. :When he sees a tough situation, he sleeps to get inspiration, and then wakes prepared for it before he even enters.

Edit: Repimpin'
DREAM WORLD
Thomas Hunter cannot be attacked if he has no order markers on his Army Card. If you have no other figures on the battlefield and use Dream World, lose the game.