Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Should Marvel be allowed in the GenCon Main Event (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=25630)

Devil's Advocate June 22nd, 2009 07:06 PM

Should Marvel be allowed in the GenCon Main Event

The purpose of this thread is to get a general persepctive on Marvel units and their potential use at GenCon in future years

Cavalier June 22nd, 2009 07:08 PM

Re: Shoulf Marvel be allowed in the GenCon Main Event

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate (Post 855122)
The purpose of this thread is to get a general persepctive on Marvel units and their potential use at GenCon in future years

1) Correct the spelling in your title.
2) Individual Tournament Directors decide what to allow/disallow in their Tournaments.
3) As long as R˙chean and :gb: are in charge, I don't see it changing, and that is their prerogative.
4) This has been discussed.

Devil's Advocate June 22nd, 2009 07:09 PM

I did not see a previous poll, could you direct me as to the previous poll results?

arp12 June 22nd, 2009 07:11 PM

I think it would be better just to have "yes" and "no" as options and have people explain why in a post. Personally, I think Marvel changes the strategy and game dynamics enough that it would be best left in special events. The official word on combining Marvel and Classic is that though they could be mixed, they are best left separate. What would be a better use of the marvel figures would be to have a different marvel main event for just marvel figures. That way you don't encounter the problems of mixing them.

Cavalier June 22nd, 2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arp12 (Post 855130)
I think it would be better just to have "yes" and "no" as options and have people explain why in a post. Personally, I think Marvel changes the strategy and game dynamics enough that it would be best left in special events. The official word on combining Marvel and Classic is that though they could be mixed, they are best left separate. What would be a better use of the marvel figures would be to have a different marvel main event for just marvel figures. That way you don't encounter the problems of mixing them.

They did that last year and my understanding is that it wasn't a huge success.

Darkmage7a June 22nd, 2009 07:17 PM

Good idea.
On a side note - when comparing The Hulk to Krug in casual play. I've seen Krug win 4 out 5 times. Regardless of order markers. Using double attack Krug seems to take enough damage to deal it back faster than Hulk can manage. I find it really amusing to see a 120pt favorite of mine take out a squadkiller with stats so ridiculous that he is illegal in most popular formats.

In terms of gencon though, it seems synergy is the way to go. Captain America with 10th foot or 4th mass or any soldier army variant is a fairly solid way to get multiple attacks use a marvel hero and still maintain enough points to play a reasonable army.

- wow that was some quick post that happened while I was typing.

Devil's Advocate June 22nd, 2009 07:17 PM

Ironically banning Marvel in many tournaments could help to hinder Heroscape's success financially. Even if you believe the 2 Universe's are separate they are made by the same company and for newer players spending money on pieces that you often will not be allowed to use with other people is not attractive and could prevent a sale

arp12 June 22nd, 2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavalier (Post 855131)
Quote:

Originally Posted by arp12 (Post 855130)

They did that last year and my understanding is that it wasn't a huge success.

Here are the descriptions from last year. They didn't do an all-Marvel tourney, it was Power of One. I would like for there to be an only Marvel tournament, but unfortunately there isn't enough variety of figures for it to be interesting..

Devil's Advocate June 22nd, 2009 07:32 PM

The lack of theme argument always surprises me. Instead of being Marvel imagine instead that these 10 figures were released as Wave 6.5 or whatever and were named Q11-Q20 with the costs and powers identical. In this scenario nobody would ban these figures since they were Official Heroscape pieces. Seems sorta weird to ban a piece because of its name

Melwing17 June 22nd, 2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate (Post 855149)
The lack of theme argument always surprises me. Instead of being Marvel imagine instead that these 10 figures were released as Wave 6.5 or whatever and were named Q11-Q20 with the costs and powers identical. In this scenario nobody would ban these figures since they were Official Heroscape pieces. Seems sorta weird to ban a piece because of its name

I sort of feel the same way.

However, I fully realize that I am not a competitive player. I've been to one tournament and got stomped pretty well. The only other game I won was against another tournament nooby, and I won only becuase I managed to get Q10 on height, with jungle brush, with Raelin. I play exclusively for fun, and usually by myself with completely random armies that are just visually interesting. I have very limited knowledge of competitive strategy and the like, especially in a tournament setting.

My point is that my vote doesn't count for much, but I voted for including Marvel.

Devil's Advocate June 22nd, 2009 07:42 PM

Most Marvel piecies would get slaughtered by a legitimately good Tournament Army. Imagine Hulk vs a Glad Blast army, it would be over in like 1 Round. Maybe Venom and Captain America would see some play but that is probably it. Spider-Man, Silver Surfer, and Iron Man might see an occasional player but I think there are better alternatives

spiteofthedice June 22nd, 2009 09:20 PM

Fevil's Afvocate, fif you fouble-check your spelling before you postef?

If not, you fefinately shoulf.

~Spiteofthefice