Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   AotP General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   The AotP ceiling! What is it? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53705)

The B.I.V. January 12th, 2017 12:47 PM

The AotP ceiling! What is it?

This post got me thinking. Is there a ceiling for AotP point values?

In classic Heroscape, you can have massive battles with 1,000+ point armies (if you have the stomach for it). There's really no limit.

AotP is different. It's a clash between two Planeswalkers, not necessarily two armies. The Planeswalker's creatures, are more like additional spells he has at his disposal, rather than an army. Makes sense, since that's what MtG is, pretty much. What makes it that way is the rule that you can only summon 2 Heroes or Squads per turn.

At 500 points, you only have 2 units in your "army" and you can get them to the battlefield relatively easily in a single turn. As point values increase, and you get more units in your "army," the chance that you'll be able to summon them all to the table decreases slightly. It's a function of the survivability of your Planeswalker to the number of army cards in your "army." So what's the ceiling?

The post I referenced above, indicated that in a 1,000 point AotP battle, the Planeswalker often died before he could summon all his units to the table. So 1,000 points is probably a little high (although it was also a 4-player free-for-all, so that probably factors in as well). Many of you have indicated that 600 points is a good point value. My gut tells me that that's probably the sweet spot (or maybe 700) but we need some more units to play with before all the colors can compete at 600 points. What do you guys think? Is 600 the ceiling for AotP?

obfuscatedhippo January 12th, 2017 02:34 PM

Re: The AotP ceiling! What is it?

1,000 points is fine. Strategy is probably a little different and the board needs to be larger to support more summoning opportunities/less quick assassination of PW.

600 seems about right though.

If you wanted to do larger battles, I could see 1,200 but with 2 PW's each 600 each). You could either have separate or combined spell decks - and maybe drawing 1 card per active PW (so 2 card draw).

mistercharlie January 13th, 2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo (Post 2130483)
1,000 points is fine. Strategy is probably a little different and the board needs to be larger to support more summoning opportunities/less quick assassination of PW.

600 seems about right though.

If you wanted to do larger battles, I could see 1,200 but with 2 PW's each 600 each). You could either have separate or combined spell decks - and maybe drawing 1 card per active PW (so 2 card draw).

The wife and I have been toying around with a way to play like this (mostly me tinkering with rule tweaks to make it work), and our first match with 2 PW's was really fun. Both of our PW's had 600 Point armies and separate 200 point decks.

lefton4ya January 13th, 2017 01:43 PM

The max I have done is 600 points AotP army + 250 points of Heroscape army (which start on the board) playing according to TREX's Heroscape/AOTP Mixed Play Rules. I think 750 is probably a max you want to do with summoning because, as you said, you may not be able to summon everything before your Planeswalker is dead, unless you just spend the first 3 turns in your start zone summoning. That is why I think mixed Heroscape/AotP is probably best if you want to do high point games. But of course, since points in each game are not equivalent, you have to have each player have relatively the same amount of each type of army (I always do you can donate up to either 25 or 50 points between AotP army, AotP spell deck, and Heroscape army).

Confred January 23rd, 2017 03:23 PM

I have not played large battles, but not being able to summon everything sounds strategic value added as if decisions matter more.
I am however unsure of spells in long game, because as is, it's easy to draw them all.

HeroscapeMaster February 25th, 2022 12:14 PM

700 points seems to work well for me! Not to big, not to small, but just right!��