Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Board Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What Board Game Are You Currently Playing? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23535)

EternalThanos86 February 12th, 2009 01:02 AM

What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour (Post 758228)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland (Post 741344)
After seeing similar threads for books, and music, I figured why not one for video games?

I wouldn't mind seeing similar 'currently' threads for board games.

Here you are.

I am currently working through Stone Age and Pandemic with my wife and cousins. We also just bought Ticket to Ride, but have not yet played it.

~ET86

Lord Pyre February 12th, 2009 01:06 AM

Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Last Night on Earth!

Really loving it! Can't wait to play again!

Hex_Enduction_Hour February 12th, 2009 01:27 AM

Played several games of Sorry! Sliders tonight.
I can't get enough of this game. Very simple and fun and a great way to get my whole family engaged.

It was created by Heroscape's own Craig Van Ness, and as in Heroscape, I see a big potential for customization - especially with multiple boards.
Several sets could yield a Sorry! Sliders minature golf-type layout.
Heh, heh.

Here's an endless board my son and I created today. This was only possible with one set because I called Parker Bros. for replacement boards and received them today. My concern was with the light-colored rings on the yellow and green boards. If you look at the photo below, you can see they are not even on all sides. A bit frustrating, but even my replacement boards were off-center. :? Someone on BGG.com realized that even the images in the rules sheet had off-center boards. Guess it's the nature of the beast, huh?

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic437335.jpg

Also, my son and I recently played a dogfight with Series III Wings of War miniatures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 (Post 758367)
Quote:

Quote:

After seeing similar threads for books, and music, I figured why not one for video games?

Here you are.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 (Post 758367)
Quote:

Quote:

Here you are.

I am currently working through Stone Age and Pandemic with my wife and cousins. We also just bought Ticket to Ride, but have not yet played it.

~ET86

I don't own any of those games, but I have played Ticket to Ride.

Melwing17 February 12th, 2009 01:32 AM

Scrabble never goes too long without being set up at our house. Nor does Connect Four (not really a board game, but close enough).

On the subject of Ticket to Ride- I've only played the XBOX360 arcade version, but what fun. I totally plan on getting a 'hard' copy. :)

We have the "A Game of Thrones" board game and the expansion unopened... been sitting on the shelf for months. We really need to get that out and play it; excited about that one.

Gabbi February 12th, 2009 04:56 AM

after a couple of weeks my usual group of friend spent playing Agricola, I'm looking forward for some games of Okko, this Friday.

SlikkRikk February 12th, 2009 09:00 AM

Last Night on Earth is always a staple. BattleLore is my new #1 game and we play it often. Sold some stuff on eBay and looking forward to receiving Pillars of the Earth, Dungeon Twister, and Pandemic in the mail tomorrow. The wife is hooked on Lost Cities.

Dignan February 12th, 2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlikkRikk (Post 758429)
Sold some stuff on eBay and looking forward to receiving Pillars of the Earth, Dungeon Twister, and Pandemic in the mail tomorrow. The wife is hooked on Lost Cities.

Pillars of Earth is one of my groups favorites. We usually aren't huge fans of Euros, but this one clicks with us for some reason. Dungeon Twister is great as long as you have two like minded, analytical players. It takes a good deal of tactical thought and can be a really solid game.

Recently I've been playing a ton of Tide of Iron. It's really hitting that sweet spot of depth just above Memoir '44 and below ASL. I've found it to be a really rewarding two player tactics game. Lots of fun.

I also just snagged Diplomacy while Barnes & Noble was having a clearance sale. I'm going to be playing that tomorrow night with a big group. I haven't played it since college and I'm looking forward to all the back stabbing and treachery that will surely ensue.

SlikkRikk February 12th, 2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 758436)
Pillars of Earth is one of my groups favorites. We usually aren't huge fans of Euros, but this one clicks with us for some reason. Dungeon Twister is great as long as you have two like minded, analytical players. It takes a good deal of tactical thought and can be a really solid game.

Recently I've been playing a ton of Tide of Iron. It's really hitting that sweet spot of depth just above Memoir '44 and below ASL. I've found it to be a really rewarding two player tactics game. Lots of fun.

Glad to hear your comments on those two games. I'm really looking forward to them both.

I would LOVE to give Tide of Iron a shot. Not in the cards with the current group of options, though. Might have to wait until son grows up to have the chance. :)

quozl February 12th, 2009 10:30 AM

I have over 500 board and card games (although I've been trading away some to get more Heroscape). You can take a look at what I own here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collect...er/quozl?own=1

jdtenor February 12th, 2009 11:37 AM

Risk Godstorm & Acquire got them a couple of weeks ago 50% off from a local Go games! Also Settlers doesn't get old, also just picked up Age of Empires III & Beowulf a couple of days ago from my local Barnes and Noble at 50% off, can't wait to play Age of Empires heard a lot of good things. :D

LilNewbie February 12th, 2009 12:45 PM

Played Sorry Sliders and Formula D! last week and had a blast. Tonight it will be some good ole' fashioned Heroscape (getting back to the basics!) ;)

Newb.

Jim February 12th, 2009 12:46 PM

Battlestar Galactica by e-mail.

Played the new Catan Geographies: Germany the other night, as well as Snow Tails.

Jim

Aldin February 12th, 2009 12:51 PM

Sorry Sliders
and
Classic Battletech

~Aldin, shuffleboardingly

ewabbie February 12th, 2009 01:22 PM

Have played a couple games of Tomb and really enjoy it. Also have played Wow the Adventure Game which my kids know better than I since they play online. And of course Heroscape. My son created a nice simple 1on1 jungle map that we have been using. I am working on perfecting my Orc army (and Krug of course) and he is perfecting his knights stratagies. Tonight the kids are going over to their aunts house for a good ole game of Clue.

killercactus February 12th, 2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewabbie (Post 758524)
Have played a couple games of Tomb and really enjoy it. Also have played Wow the Adventure Game which my kids know better than I since they play online. And of course Heroscape. My son created a nice simple 1on1 jungle map that we have been using. I am working on perfecting my Orc army (and Krug of course) and he is perfecting his knights stratagies. Tonight the kids are going over to their aunts house for a good ole game of Clue.

I love Clue. I'm a huge logic person, and Clue is the perfect game for that. I usually play the Master edition, which has 4 extra suspects, 2 extra weapons and a bunch more rooms.

LilNewbie February 12th, 2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 758507)
Sorry Sliders
and
Classic Battletech

I need to get my friends interested in CBT. I miss playing it.

Newb.

Agent Minivann February 12th, 2009 01:41 PM

We've been playing a lot of Sorry! Sliders. We play for at least an hour every time we pull it out. I think it's about time to play a game of Heroscape. It has been a while.

Clue, I always wanted to play when I was younger, but I could never get anyone to play. My 7 year old must have a knack for logic. She doesn't mark anything down on her notepad and she still does a pretty good job at figuring out "who done it". I don't know how she does it.

Aldin February 12th, 2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilNewbie (Post 758536)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 758507)
Sorry Sliders
and
Classic Battletech

I need to get my friends interested in CBT. I miss playing it.

Newb.

Dang, Newb, just move to Nashville ;)

~Aldin, wondering if he'll ever be in Albequerque again

Dignan February 12th, 2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killercactus (Post 758525)
I love Clue. I'm a huge logic person, and Clue is the perfect game for that. I usually play the Master edition, which has 4 extra suspects, 2 extra weapons and a bunch more rooms.

If you love logic and deductive reasoning games, try to find Code 777. It's a classic deductive reasoning game. I played it for the first time at this years BGG.CON and had a good time. You can probably find it on eBay or at a thrift store.

Purplebeard February 12th, 2009 01:55 PM

Mystery Mansion with my kid. Terrific old school MB game. Someday I'm going to get around to building custom rooms for it.

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic6068_md.jpg

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic221607_md.jpg

Hex_Enduction_Hour February 12th, 2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 758504)
Snow Tails.

Jim

I want that game. Really badly.
I'd even settle for your copy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purplebeard (Post 758552)
Mystery Mansion with my kid. Terrific old school MB game. Someday I'm going to get around to building custom rooms for it.

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic6068_md.jpg

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic221607_md.jpg

Never heard of the game, but I like tile-laying mechanics.
Looks fun!

Onacara February 12th, 2009 03:04 PM

My family games right now are...

Blokus Trigons

and

Living Labrynth

Dungeon Twister and Heroscape are my more gaming games.

Hex_Enduction_Hour February 12th, 2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 758580)

Living Labrynth

That's another I'm mildly interested in playing.
Decent, huh?

hextr1p February 12th, 2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour (Post 758579)
Never heard of the game, but I like tile-laying mechanics.
Looks fun!

You're never heard of Mystery Mansion?! Sorry, I'm sure a lot of people probably aren't familiar with the game, but it was one of my favs growing up. It's really nothing too ingenious. You're going from room to room looking for treasure chests via search cards. Once you find one, you have to take it outside in order to open it up. However, while some chests contain treasure... and others are empty!

:shock: DUN! DUN! DUNNNNNN!

I'm sure you've gone over already, but here is the BGG.com page:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2342

Only thing I never liked about the game is that the rooms are made out of flimsy cardboard, and don't deal very well with common wear-n-tear... or being stepped on by your younger brother.

Onacara February 12th, 2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour (Post 758584)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 758580)

Living Labrynth

That's another I'm mildly interested in playing.
Decent, huh?

For a game that basically requires you to move 2 spaces to win you will be amazed at how hard it actually is to do.

After playing it you will see that this is definielty a game that you can play with a bunch of adults only and it will get pretty cutthroat.

Jim February 12th, 2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour (Post 758579)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 758504)
Snow Tails.

Jim

I want that game. Really badly.
I'd even settle for your copy.

Sorry, I've already settled for my copy. :D

It has a really neat mechanic to determine the sled speed and lane-changing. Kind of confusing at first, but still neat. And I like it!

Jim

Dhaphaos February 12th, 2009 05:06 PM

I dusted off my original copy of Heroquest the other night. My girlfriends boys and I already ran through most of the campaign book included. I forgot how great this game is. I was thinking of tracking down a few of the expansion packs for it until I saw the prices on Ebay. :cry:

Jim February 12th, 2009 07:14 PM

Battlestar be E-mail is interesting. More later...

Jim

killercactus February 12th, 2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhaphaos (Post 758640)
I dusted off my original copy of Heroquest the other night. My girlfriends boys and I already ran through most of the campaign book included. I forgot how great this game is. I was thinking of tracking down a few of the expansion packs for it until I saw the prices on Ebay. :cry:

Yeah, thats a great game. You'll do better to create some customs and play with them before you go on eBay and pay the outlandish prices though.

mad_wookiee February 12th, 2009 07:20 PM

Currently, Cosmic Encounter is getting much love. Fantastic, fantastic game - I can't say enough about this one. I also just picked up Formula D and Lord of the Rings: Confrontation, which we're really enjoying.

Sitting on my shelf waiting to be played are the new Starcraft and Tide of Iron expansions - but they're both a bit beyond my kids at this point, so they have to wait for game days with my buddies.

clancampbell February 12th, 2009 07:32 PM

I broke out the classic RISK the other night. Lots of fun. Settlers of Catan is another staple round the house as well.

Elites are #1 February 12th, 2009 07:54 PM

My family and I love star wars edition of Monopoly. It's very old though, to get it you would need ebay.

Heroic Monkey February 12th, 2009 08:42 PM

Race for the Galaxy is the most-played game in my house. It gets played at least a few times per week.

I played Hive and YINSH with my little brother today. I had to keep reminding him not to tell me his future moves (he's very young).

I'm trying to convince my friends to come over and play Cosmic Encounter with me. Until then, it is sitting in my closet and crying. Poor thing.

Codeman February 12th, 2009 09:46 PM

Mainly Agricola, but we have been playing several:
1. Agricola
2. Alhambra
3. Saint Petersburg
4. Kingsburg
Would like to get some HS in the top 5

MI_Tiger February 12th, 2009 10:52 PM

Recent favorites include:

Carcassone - a classic tile laying game and my most recent purchase.

Settlers of Catan - most of my friends think that game=Monopoly, but Settlers really caught on big. It ususally comes out at every get together (including Super Bowl Sunday)

Rumis - a building game with oddly-shaped pieces. I think this is exactly the same as Blokus 3D that is now in stores.

Blokus - longtime favorite that I finally got for Christmas.

Oodles - a trivia game where you have to quickly answer a series of questions who's answers all begin with the same letter. Quick and fun.

Scene It Disney Channel - one game that my kids consistently beat me at (badly)

Guilloutine - a card game, not a board game, but its worth mentioning. It's quick, fun, and simple enough for my kids to play.

Agent Minivann February 13th, 2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Tiger (Post 758900)
Scene It Disney Channel - one game that my kids consistently beat me at (badly)

Guilloutine - a card game, not a board game, but its worth mentioning. It's quick, fun, and simple enough for my kids to play.

You're a better man than me. I would never buy Scene It Disney Channel, let alone be in the same room when they play it.

Guillotine is one that I need to get. I've played it and love it. We would probably play that one almost as much as Sorry! Sliders. I love the sense of humor in that game.

LilNewbie February 13th, 2009 01:46 AM

Had a fantastic 3-player game of Heroscape tonight!

Deathwalkers/Wolves (Luke) vs. Orcs/Krug (Dave) Vs. Marcus/Romans/4th Foot (Me)

Came down to Marcus vs. a Swog Rider and Isamu. The Swog Rider attacked Marcus with a perfectly timed swipe and won the game!

Newb.

soberman February 13th, 2009 03:10 AM

I've been playing a good bit of Ticket to Ride: Nordic Contries during the recent snowy days. I finally got Blue Moon City for Christmas, and that has seen it's share of table time. (I also got Potobello Market, Fire & Axe and Power Grid, but those games got lost in the shuffle for now- played, but not much.) Right after Christmas, I got the Seafarers and Cities and Knights expansions on clearance, so Catan has hit the table. Finally, I simply had to get the anniversary edition of Alhambra before it sold out, and I'm sure glad did! Great game that I can't wait to get expansions for.

Next month is my birthday, and I happen to know that I'm goning to be getting the long out of print Carcassonne Big Box that I happened to see at a local comic book store and songly indicated to loved ones that they should buy. :-)

SlikkRikk February 13th, 2009 04:37 AM

Just played a round of Pandemic. I am hooked! Very, very fun.

EternalThanos86 February 13th, 2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlikkRikk (Post 759019)

We have played it about 8 times since we got it, and so far we have only beat the game once! Have you had this experience?

~ET86

SlikkRikk February 13th, 2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 (Post 759085)
Quote:

We have played it about 8 times since we got it, and so far we have only beat the game once! Have you had this experience?

~ET86

ET - we played 2-player with the default four epidemics and won by the skin of our teeth. Although, if we hadn't have played with the Scientist and the Researcher I don't think we would have had a shot!

wdgrant February 15th, 2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlikkRikk (Post 759124)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalThanos86 (Post 759085)
Quote:

~ET86

ET - we played 2-player with the default four epidemics and won by the skin of our teeth. Although, if we hadn't have played with the Scientist and the Researcher I don't think we would have had a shot!

I am 1-1 against the easiest setting, with two characters. I love the challenge this game presents, and the shorter coop to play with my wife.

Last night we finally got enough people to try Cash n Guns. It is a fantastic short little beer and pretzels type game. We played six times and everyone had a blast playing. I'd like to get a game with the full six people.

We also got a game of Last Night on Earth in. We roped in two new converts that really enjoyed it with us.

Jexik February 15th, 2009 04:05 PM

Clue. My friends and I played it at least four times last night.

Melwing17 February 15th, 2009 07:01 PM

I've been playing Carcassonne for a long time on the 360, but we finally got the "real" box version yesterday.. amazing how much more fun it is on the table.

GeneralRolando February 15th, 2009 11:53 PM

Chess! Go!

:lol: Lol sorry had to. But those of you who don't know how to play either of these, you have not yet played a true board game. I have played chess nearly all my life and I still am. Go ahead and find a chess set or a Goban, you must know how to play these to be a true gamer.8)

Cheesy Poofs February 16th, 2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melwing17 (Post 760203)
I've been playing Carcassonne for a long time on the 360, but we finally got the "real" box version yesterday.. amazing how much more fun it is on the table.

That's so cool! I have been playing it on Xbox for a long time and just now started to play the board game this Christmas and have been getting expansions at my local War Dogs.

killercactus February 16th, 2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexik (Post 760144)
Clue. My friends and I played it at least four times last night.

I wish I could find a few people willing to play Clue 4 times in a row....

SlikkRikk February 16th, 2009 01:27 PM

Yesterday I played Incan Gold and Apples to Apples with my family.