Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   General (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Legal question (about driving) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=36807)

braveheart101 July 2nd, 2011 05:00 PM

Legal question (about driving)

Hey guys,

I was just looking through the MO state drivers manual, and I noticed something that seemed really weird; apparently, when you get your Class F drivers license, you are only allowed to drive if you have a member of your immediate family who is over 19 in the car with you. Now, is it just me, is this really weird? Because AFAIK, you used to be allowed to drive on alone with a Class F intermediate license during certain hours of the day. When did this law change? And is it the same way outside of MO?

Cavalier July 2nd, 2011 08:42 PM

Re: Legal question (about driving)

Quote:

Originally Posted by braveheart101 (Post 1433230)
Hey guys,

I was just looking through the MO state drivers manual, and I noticed something that seemed really weird; apparently, when you get your Class F drivers license, you are only allowed to drive if you have a member of your immediate family who is over 19 in the car with you. Now, is it just me, is this really weird? Because AFAIK, you used to be allowed to drive on alone with a Class F intermediate license during certain hours of the day. When did this law change? And is it the same way outside of MO?

Every state is different.Best bet would be to check with a local driver's ed instructor.

Billtrumpet25 July 4th, 2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavalier (Post 1433328)
Quote:

Originally Posted by braveheart101 (Post 1433230)
Hey guys,

Every state is different.Best bet would be to check with a local driver's ed instructor.

Cavalier is right; each state has its own rules, despite federal attempts to make the laws the same across the country. This rule mentioned seems to be part of the graduated driver/license program that many states have. This goes until age 21 (usually). However, in your case, the circumstances listed seem to be of a permit phase, not the actual license.

Now, I've never been to MO, so I can't really put my finger on what the driving law is there, but I hope I've been of some help.:)

delphic July 4th, 2011 11:21 PM

Sounds very similar to the old Canadian Driver Learners Permit.

Interesting similarity.

Sujoah July 5th, 2011 12:57 PM

It's possible that you just misread the manual. I have the MO manual sitting in front of me (revised September of 2009), and this is what it says:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MO Driver Guide
Driving restrictions:
  • During the first 6 months, you may not operate a motor vehicle with more than one passenger who is under the age of 19 and who is not a member of your immediate family*.
  • After the first 6 months, you may not operate a motor vehicle with more than three passengers who are under 19 years of age and who are not members yo your immediate family*.
  • You may not drive along between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. except to and from a school activity, job, or an emergency, unless accompanied by a licensed driver 21 years of age or older.
* Immediate family shall include parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, stepbrothers, stepsisters, and adopted or foster children residing in the driver's household. Parent shall include a foster parent, stepparent or adoptive parent. Grandparent shall include a foster grandparent, step-grandparent, or adoptive grandparent.

Note: This is only the Intermediate License, what you have between the ages of 16 and 18.

braveheart101 July 6th, 2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sujoah (Post 1434824)
It's possible that you just misread the manual. I have the MO manual sitting in front of me (revised September of 2009), and this is what it says:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MO Driver Guide
Driving restrictions:
  • During the first 6 months, you may not operate a motor vehicle with more than one passenger who is under the age of 19 and who is not a member of your immediate family*.
  • After the first 6 months, you may not operate a motor vehicle with more than three passengers who are under 19 years of age and who are not members yo your immediate family*.
  • You may not drive along between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. except to and from a school activity, job, or an emergency, unless accompanied by a licensed driver 21 years of age or older.
* Immediate family shall include parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, stepbrothers, stepsisters, and adopted or foster children residing in the driver's household. Parent shall include a foster parent, stepparent or adoptive parent. Grandparent shall include a foster grandparent, step-grandparent, or adoptive grandparent.

Note: This is only the Intermediate License, what you have between the ages of 16 and 18.

Yep, this is the exact text of the manual I have. It could either be read as "you can only drive when you have a passenger who is over 19 and a member of your immediate family" OR "if you carry more than one passenger, they have to be over 19 and be members of your immediate family".

Hurrgh. Why do legal documents have to be so vague?

Billtrumpet25 July 12th, 2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Hurrgh. Why do legal documents have to be so vague?

Because the people who make them sometimes have their heads up their rears so much so they wouldn't know a good law if it hit 'em...

Politicians are so unpopular these days I thought this little comment was necessary:)