Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Meet Other Scapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New England Scene Revival (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53589)

Cleon December 1st, 2016 03:58 AM

New England Scene Revival

I was wondering if there was enough interest and players to seriously restore the competitive scene in New England? Our scene kind of died, there's been some events scattered around the northeast here and there but not much focusing in New England. I know Onacara and nyys don't play anymore and have moved on to other board game stuff, and I haven't seen a lot of the past scene's regulars around this site unfortunately. But, I do know some who still are around and hopefully are interested.

I'm a competitive player and still play the game competitively (even though tournament wise I really only attend gencon now), and am interested in reviving the scene hoping to get competitive play going again. Right now I'm at college but come home for winter break soon and am probably going to play the game with some close friends. I have several tournament maps (~10) in the works/finished that I've been playing with friends on and will start posting to this site too (again, hoping to re-spark competitive play and discussion) and would love to incorporate some.

With C3V/SoV driving the current online scene, I'd very much like to allow and encourage the Valhalla customs as a part of the (hopefully to come) new scene. There's not much negative with it, in my eyes; they are balanced and most fare well in the standard competitive environment, they add a lot of creativity to the game, they boost units that are lackluster to straight bad in the original game, they allow newer players to attain units easier and at a less expense, and all in all just keep the game fresh and interesting.

If we do have a solid revival, I'd very much like to keep a cohesive statistical rankings going. I can do the data crunching and databasing with pleasure (I like statistics and math in general, am majoring in mathematics currently).

Prize support would be kind of lacking, there's not too much we can do to get around it because sets are scarce and hard to attain. And I understand people not wanting to let go of sets and stuff from their collection. I think entry fee ($$$) --> prize support would work fine, and drive players to want to place higher. I also have some extra unopened sets I'm willing to part with, including some unopened gc exclusives, but not really a ton to consistently provide if the scene does get going. But I don't think people would be opposed to winning money.

I have several friends and family members (some of you I know remember my dad, Bob) who I could probably get to play. But, not enough to completely makeup a tournament by any means (also not sure how many would be up for traveling, I'm sure some would). I'll tag some members I'd hope to see have some interest in this that are still active in some degree:

@Kinseth @ollie @OrcElfArmyOne @Joseph Sweeney @Bengi @Dragon Ruler @nyphot @Taeblewalker

Apologies if I didn't tag you and you're still active, just rattling off names in my head. Also if you're in the New York scene and are interested you're of course welcome. I live in Pittsfield, MA which is all the way western mass, not far from Albany.

Let me know if you have interest. I don't mind if the tournaments are on the small side (8-16 peeps), and I think it is probably unreasonable at this point in the overall 'scape scene to hope for 30+ turnouts. I just want to play competitively again, outside only-gencon.

Hopefully we can get this scene rolling again and at least get some tournaments in the near future!

Joseph Sweeney December 1st, 2016 08:09 AM

Re: New England Scene Revival

Only have a brief moment, but I know myself and my family would be thrilled to see the competitive scene moving again.

~JS

Dad_Scaper December 1st, 2016 09:22 AM

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/...x/57679810.jpg

ollie December 1st, 2016 12:23 PM

I'm in. Work/family/life mean the odds I can make an event on a given day at some distances are not as good as they were 5+ years ago, but I'll try.

Kinseth December 1st, 2016 03:00 PM

I'd play as long as it is based on a time where I can make it. Travel Soccer for my daughter is on the weekends, but it is only one day each weekend, hope the stars align. Might persuade my dad to come up for the event!

I would not be able to help organize the event though, my days of organizing are over. (Until my kids decide they like heroscape, right now they like Barbies and Ponies...)

kevindola December 1st, 2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinseth (Post 2123378)
(Until my kids decide they like heroscape, right now they like Barbies and Ponies...)

Grok Riders and Templar Cavalry. you're welcome

OEAO December 2nd, 2016 05:15 PM

My dad and I would definitely be interested as long as we are available. It would be great to play some Scape again!

Kinseth December 2nd, 2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2123617)
My dad and I would definitely be interested as long as we are available. It would be great to play some Scape again!

Maybe I will dust off my Quahon...

OEAO December 2nd, 2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinseth (Post 2123629)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2123617)

Maybe I will dust off my Quahon...

Haha, I remember you used him(her? I can't remember) against me, but was I in the camp that disliked him? I remember disliking Cathar... ah well, who knows.

Or you could, maybe, buy my Quahon and have a second?? And the rest of the Scape I'm selling? ;)

nyphot December 2nd, 2016 10:36 PM

I'm super glad that you are posting and very, very interested.

HOWEVER (and it's a big however), I honestly think that my ability to participate will not be very high... until a few years from now when my kids will (hopefully) play the game and be interested in taking road trips with Dad.

I haven't played in many a year, but I do have some terrain and Heroclix figs out for the kiddos to play with, so it's only a matter of time, right?

Cleon December 18th, 2016 03:03 PM

Decent amount of interest/availability, nice to see. I think an on going league/rankings is out of the question, which i sort of expected, but maybe we could have an event or two relatively soon.

Joseph Sweeney February 21st, 2017 10:05 AM

Just in case any of you are interested, we're looking to get a tournament going!

~JS