Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Balantai July 20th, 2010 05:00 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Please use the below ruleset when posting comments regarding The Doctor.

Phase 2: Brainstorming Stage
  • Only 1 post per person. Anyone from the community is welcome to post, but please limit it to one post for this stage. If you think of something afterwards and/or want to make changes to what you have suggested, then go back & edit your post.
  • If you disagree with ideas somebody else has put forward do so in your own initial post. Don't start a discussion about it, just state clearly why you disagree & offer something in it's place.
  • Remember at this stage the wording doesn't have to be accurate or official or even written like a power, just put your thoughts down as they come to you as it is only brainstorming. It'll be up to the designer to take what he likes & try to put them into something close to official wording.
  • The chosen figure must remain in the Brainstorming Phase for at least 24 hours. If the designer feels that he wants to wait longer, he may.

Lamaclown July 20th, 2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1151411)
My custom:

The Doctor (10th Doctor)
Television: Doctor Who
Mini: Question from Heroclix. I plan on cutting question off of the base, painting on a face and gluing to a Heroscape base.
Wiki reference and information here.

Possible aspects of the Doctor I'd like to represent on the card:
  • Immortality
  • Sonic Screwdriver
  • Brilliant mentality
  • Ability to run from danger

I can't wait to see this one! I won't have time to give any input on it until later but... great choice :thumbsup:

machinekng did a good job of representing the Doctor's abilities.
Another option for a special ability would be...

BRILLIANT
After placing order markers but before rolling initiative, each opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Doctor Who must reveal all order markers on its card to Doctor Who's player. (taken from Caesarea by Atmospro)

machinekng July 20th, 2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1151411)
My custom:

The Doctor (10th Doctor)
Television: Doctor Who
Mini: Question from Heroclix. I plan on cutting question off of the base, painting on a face and gluing to a Heroscape base.
Wiki reference and information here.

Possible aspects of the Doctor I'd like to represent on the card:
  • Immortality
  • Sonic Screwdriver
  • Brilliant mentality
  • Ability to run from danger

Okay here's my ideas

Doctor Who
Vydar

-Race: Time Lord
-Class: Adventurer (although he is a Doctor, I see him more as an adventurer (like Iron Man is classed as an Adventurer.))
-Personality: Either Brilliant or Tricky

Stats:
Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

Abilities

Regeneration
At the start of each of your turns after Doctor Who has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 20 or higher, immediately place Doctor Who in your start zone and remove all wound markers from this card.

Daring Escape 12
When an enemy figure moves adjacent to Doctor Who, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, you may immediately move Doctor Who 3 spaces. Doctor Who does not take leaving engagement attacks when moved by Daring Escape 12.

Sonic Screwdriver
When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Doctor Who, you may add 4 to your die roll.

Points 80

Doctor Who would serve as a versitale Glyph grabber.

Comments:

Granite-M
Quote:

Originally Posted by Granite-M (Post 1151824)
I'd change that to "Each time you reveal an Order Marker after Doctor Who has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 20 or higher, immediately place Doctor Who in your start zone and remove all wound markers from this card." ...just to make it a little simpler to keep track.

That would allow you the use the X marker to activate the ability. In addition, that is the offical wording from Thanos' Rejected by Death ability.

Lamaclown
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1151558)

machinekng did a good job of representing the Doctor's abilities.
Another option for a special ability would be...

BRILLIANT
After placing order markers but before rolling initiative, each opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Doctor Who must reveal all order markers on it
s card to Doctor Who's player. (taken from Caesarea by Atmospro)

I think it would be: After placing order marker but before rolling initiative, each opponent's figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Doctor Who must show all order markers to the figure's army card to the player who controls Doctor Who.

Using the word reveal would create some confusion, as you reveal order markers when taking turns with figures.

Granite-M July 20th, 2010 10:28 PM

I'd change that to "Each time you reveal an Order Marker after Doctor Who has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 20 or higher, immediately place Doctor Who in your start zone and remove all wound markers from this card." ...just to make it a little simpler to keep track.

Balantai July 21st, 2010 03:59 PM

Only 3 people have thoughts on The Doctor? :?

EDIT: I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post my draft. It'll give people a bit more time to post their thoughts.

wulfhunter667 July 22nd, 2010 01:32 AM

I'm sorry I cannot add too much to this discussion on the good Doctor (I'm a Tom Baker man myself :D), but I can tell you I like the ideas presented so far. However, with the ability to return from destroyed, you're gonna have to bump that point cost up a bit. I realize the suggestion is just that, a suggestion, but 80 points for a regenerating figure, even if the roll requires a 20, is waaaaay too low. I'll reserve my further costing analysis for the draft.

mac122 July 22nd, 2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 (Post 1152945)
I'm sorry I cannot add too much to this discussion on the good Doctor (I'm a Tom Baker man myself :D), but I can tell you I like the ideas presented so far. However, with the ability to return from destroyed, you're gonna have to bump that point cost up a bit. I realize the suggestion is just that, a suggestion, but 80 points for a regenerating figure, even if the roll requires a 20, is waaaaay too low. I'll reserve my further costing analysis for the draft.

My knowledge of Dr. Who is limited to what I read from the Wikipedia article you linked to and the few times I stopped to watch a few minutes of the show on the local PBS station. (I didn't even know he wasn't human :shock:). What you have sounds like an interesting figure to play. I'll do my best to comment on the stats and abilities when you post your draft.

SirGalahad July 22nd, 2010 02:12 AM

Dr Who
Vydar

Time Lord

Adventurer / Scientist
Brilliant / Tricky / Lucky / Quirky

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 5

MOVE 5
RANGE 1
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 4

Sonic screwdriver - some bonus against soulborgs, robots, etc., clearing traps

TARDIS (teleportation)

regeneration - a la Thanos

hypnosis - temporary control of adjacent figure

negotiation / solving problem without violence

Balantai July 22nd, 2010 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

The Doctor
Doctor Who
Television
Jandar

Time Lord
Unique Hero
Adventurer
Brilliant
Size: Medium 5

Life: 6
Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 1
Defense: 2

BRILLIANT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4. Attack 1.
Defending figures may not use any Special Powers and may not roll any defense dice when defending against The Doctor's Brilliant Special Attack.

SONIC SCREWDRIVER
When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with The Doctor, you may add 4 to your roll.

RUN!
When The Doctor or an friendly Unique Hero within 3 clear sight spaces of The Doctor is attacked, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, no figures are damaged from the attack and you may move The Doctor and all Unique Heroes within 3 clear sight spaces of The Doctor up to 3 spaces. Figures moved by Run!, may not end their movement engaged and do not take any leaving engagement attacks.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I chose to leave off his ressurection because it doesn't happen too often. I don't think it fits the theme to have 3 different Doctors in the same game. Also, I'm trying to specifically represent the 10th Doctor, and if I give him a ressurection ability, it somewhat defeats my original intent.

At one point, I wanted to have a Tardis related ability on the card, but I scrapped it in favor of these three abilities.

I've also been avoiding Order Marker related powers, recently. I think removing Order Markers is overdone, thus I went in a different direction with Brilliant.

machinekng really hit on some of the abilities I was looking for.

I look forward to everyone's critique.

machinekng July 22nd, 2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1153382)
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

The Doctor
Doctor Who
Television
Vandar

Time Lord
Unique Hero
Adventurer
Brilliant
Size: Medium 5

Life: 6
Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 1
Defense: 2

BRILLIANT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4. Attack 1.
Defending figures may not use any Special Powers and may not roll any defense dice when defending against The Doctor's Brilliant Special Attack.

SONIC SCREWDRIVER
When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with The Doctor Who, you may add 5 to your die roll.

RUN!
When The Doctor or an friendly figure within 3 clear sight spaces of The Doctor is attacked, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, no figures are damaged from the attack and you may move The Doctor and all figures within 3 clear sight spaces of The Doctor up to 3 spaces. Figures moved by Run!, may not end their movement engaged and do not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Okay, first of all, did you mean to say Vydar or Jandar.

Second of all, Sonic Screwdriver makes it impossible for The Doctor to trigger a trap. Adding 4 would make it a 5% chance instead of a 25% chance, but the current wording makes it a 0% chance.

I like Brilliant, but what does it represent?

Run! is good.

For points, I'd say between 50-75. He serves as a nice filler unit, with the capability to knock out expensive squad members, but more impostantl, he serves as a glyph grabber and a support figure.

Balantai July 22nd, 2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1153414)
Okay, first of all, did you mean to say Vydar or Jandar.

Second of all, Sonic Screwdriver makes it impossible for The Doctor to trigger a trap. Adding 4 would make it a 5% chance instead of a 25% chance, but the current wording makes it a 0% chance.

I like Brilliant, but what does it represent?

Run! is good.

For points, I'd say between 50-75. He serves as a nice filler unit, with the capability to knock out expensive squad members, but more impostantl, he serves as a glyph grabber and a support figure.

Updated to Jandar. Can you tell I don't play Vahallascape? ;)

Updated Sonic Screwdriver to adding 4.

Brilliant is meant to represent all of those times when The Doctor can seemingly defeat any enemy with strategy and intellegence.

Run! is probably the most defining aspect of The Doctor in my opinion. At some point, I'd like to make Rose, Martha or Donna with a Companion power that allows The Doctor to add to his Run! roll.

wulfhunter667 July 22nd, 2010 04:06 PM

I like the good Doctor you've created here. Not overly complex and very well-defined powers. I agree with MK. 50-75 sounds about right for him.