Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Science Police (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=35151)

A3n March 20th, 2011 05:55 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1368462)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1368157)
One last edit from me:

CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and before taking a turn with the Science Police, you may roll the 20-sided die.
If you roll 12-17, choose 1 previously destroyed Science Police figure.
If you roll 17-19, choose up to 2 previously destroyed Science Police figures.
If you roll 20 or higher, choose up to 4 previously destroyed Science Police figures.
One at a time, place each chosen Science Police figure on an empty space within 2 spaces of any other Science Police figures you control on the battlefield.

And one from me.

I disagree with this one. The 20-sided die only has 20 sides. So 20 is the highest you can roll if you have modifiers then you just wouldn't need to use them if you roll a 20. If the number was anything less then 20 I would agree the "or higher" is valid but not when it's the only possibility. I also believe this is how Official HS has done it also.

Cheers

Griffin March 20th, 2011 06:36 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 1368603)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1368462)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1368157)
One last edit from me:

CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and before taking a turn with the Science Police, you may roll the 20-sided die.
If you roll 12-17, choose 1 previously destroyed Science Police figure.
If you roll 17-19, choose up to 2 previously destroyed Science Police figures.
If you roll 20 or higher, choose up to 4 previously destroyed Science Police figures.
One at a time, place each chosen Science Police figure on an empty space within 2 spaces of any other Science Police figures you control on the battlefield.

And one from me.

I disagree with this one. The 20-sided die only has 20 sides. So 20 is the highest you can roll if you have modifiers then you just wouldn't need to use them if you roll a 20. If the number was anything less then 20 I would agree the "or higher" is valid but not when it's the only possibility. I also believe this is how Official HS has done it also.

Cheers

You don't believe in modifying higher than 20? Really? So if you and I roll initiative and I have the initiative +8 glyph, and we both roll 20, who do you think wins? Or would you have us re-roll? In the world of games, dice, and even Heroscape, a 20-sided die is not limited to the number twenty. Sir G's change is valid and justified IMO, and I believe there are official and C3G precedents as well.

Griffin March 20th, 2011 06:37 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
Or if we roll initiative and tie on a twenty, can't I remove an OM on Doctor Fate's card to make my initiative 21? I say "yes, absolutely".

SirGalahad March 20th, 2011 07:02 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
C3G has done it both ways already.

Just trying to aim for consistency.

I know it's a noble, but mostly unattainable goal.

Griffin March 20th, 2011 07:37 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
Personally, I have really appreciated your quest for consistency Sir G. Keep it up please, and I am sorry if I haven't made it clear to you how much I appreciate it in the past.

Spidey'tilIDie March 20th, 2011 10:45 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the DC Unleashed set. Its model number and name is 010, 011, 012/Science Police.

Spidey'tilIDie March 20th, 2011 10:59 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
Sorry for the double post.

I agree that SirG's change is needed. If 20+ is possible it needs to be addressed. Unless your intent is for it to only ever have a 5% chance. In which case, 21 or higher would be the same as 1-11, a fail.

Griffin March 20th, 2011 11:17 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
I just looked up the official FAQ and this is what it says.


Some powers (in relation to rolling the 20-sided die) say "20 or higher" some just say "20". If I roll higher than a 20 (because of other powers/glyphs) on the powers that list 20 as a max, what happens?
For any 20-sided die roll (except for initiative), any number above 20 counts the same as a 20. Initiative is different however, if you are on the glyph of lodin and roll a 20 (20+lodin=21) and your opponent rolls a 20 as well, you win the initiative roll.

Griffin March 20th, 2011 11:19 PM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
So if you roll a 17, but you have some type of modifier that gives your roll a +8, you have rolled a 25 - which equals "a 20" and "a 20 or higher". The "or higher" aspect helps the player know that they can exceed the number 20 and still succeed for the power, because "higher than 20 equals 20".

A3n March 21st, 2011 01:05 AM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1368783)
So if you roll a 17, but you have some type of modifier that gives your roll a +8, you have rolled a 25 - which equals "a 20" and "a 20 or higher". The "or higher" aspect helps the player know that they can exceed the number 20 and still succeed for the power, because "higher than 20 equals 20".

:neener:

Griffin March 21st, 2011 01:09 AM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 1368911)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1368783)
So if you roll a 17, but you have some type of modifier that gives your roll a +8, you have rolled a 25 - which equals "a 20" and "a 20 or higher". The "or higher" aspect helps the player know that they can exceed the number 20 and still succeed for the power, because "higher than 20 equals 20".

:neener:

I think you may have read what you wanted to read here bud. ;)

Griffin March 21st, 2011 01:11 AM

Re: The Book of Science Police - Design Phase
 
The "or higher" aspect helps players know that if they modify beyond 20, they still succeed. Without that "or higher" line, it becomes unclear whether or not they actually succeeded if they modified beyond 20, because they did not roll exactly 20.

The "or higher" line ftw. :up:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.