Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Heroscape Strategy Articles (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Unit Strategy Review: How to use the Zombies of Morindan (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=29053)

flameslayer93 August 20th, 2010 10:55 PM

Re: Unit Strategy Review - Zombies of Morindan

I think another figure who goes pretty well with the zombies is Morsbane. Because he has that "Shoot me!" pose that an be used to cover up a zombie, is protected by the horde and works wonders against those super strong heroes like Q9 Not attack-wise, but if he is being shot at by Q9, and is also supported by Raelin, the Zombies stat alive longer and your opponent may lose Queglix or other unique support.

Kaiser Cat August 27th, 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dok again.

Tornado September 1st, 2010 08:12 PM

Nice write up Dok. Zombies are my favorite figures in all of scape. My biggest difficulty with them is pulling off the Onslaught. Smart players will position their figures in a place where I can not get 3 adjacent on the same level. The same level restriction can be brutal especially against heroes. This may have something to do with the maps we play on. I still shudder when I think about a match vs. Captain America. I ate so many shield throws it was not funny. Anyway great article, lots to munch on....Brains...brains...peace

flameslayer93 September 1st, 2010 08:36 PM

To help you throw 6 dice per attack, I suggest Carr. His Ghostwalking lets him move through zombie engagements and to prime targets:).

in2bator September 1st, 2010 08:42 PM

Just got 4 more squads of zombies today - looking forward to getting a massive hoard out on the board on Friday! Thanks for the light reading beforehand!

dok September 1st, 2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameslayer93 (Post 1181408)
I think another figure who goes pretty well with the zombies is Morsbane. Because he has that "Shoot me!" pose that an be used to cover up a zombie, is protected by the horde and works wonders against those super strong heroes like Q9 Not attack-wise, but if he is being shot at by Q9, and is also supported by Raelin, the Zombies stat alive longer and your opponent may lose Queglix or other unique support.

Morsbane is a nice option against the large/huge multiple attacking heroes, although he doesn't help much in the other bad matchups for the zombies.

Another, new option is the Fen Hydra. The Hydra is also nice because it also helps not only against the big multiple attacking heroes, but against tough melee squads and PKs (and Death Knights?). You're still hurting against WTF squads and probably the 'trons, but you could mitigate that by going with something like ratsx2, zombiesx4, Raelin, Hydra at 520.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 1193418)
My biggest difficulty with them is pulling off the Onslaught. Smart players will position their figures in a place where I can not get 3 adjacent on the same level. The same level restriction can be brutal especially against heroes. This may have something to do with the maps we play on.

Yeah, onslaught denial is very map-dependent. I personally hate it - it feels like a bug that they fixed when they designed the encircle attack for the Ashigaru.

I love the zombies (and Tor-Kul-Na, who has similar issues with bumpy terrain), so I always take great care when designing maps to make them onslaught-friendly. On Hard Eight, for instance, there aren't any onslaught-proof hexes except a few on the edges that give up height advantage.

All of that said, remember that it's often to your advantage to use the zombies' normal attack, particularly if you can get height advantage.

Tornado September 2nd, 2010 09:48 PM

Agreed. I once made a map that was all level one road with some jungle sprinkled in. No hexes safe from onslaught for one single hexed figure. No one would play me on it though. :( I am still hoping the DKs will have undead bonding or some other ability to boost the zombies. Long live (unlive?) the hoard. peace

dok October 14th, 2010 11:45 AM

I added Exoskeleton to the list of powers that make you use onslaught. If you use normal attacks, Exoskeleton is pretty brutal for zombies, because it accelerates zombie attrition. If you can use onslaught consistently the Mezzodemons are no problem at all, but if your opponent gets a couple Mezzodemons on onslaught-immune spots on relative high ground and you are forced to grind through the markers, it's a bad situation.

I also added Death Knights to the "problem figures" section, in the same entry as the Phantom Knights. To add insult to injury, the Death Knights bond with the Dumutef, who is also immune to zombies rise again.

Bugbears have a very very slight advantage on flat ground against un-boosted zombies - this is covered in the "very tough melee" entry. Adding goblin cutters to the mix doesn't help the bugbears at all, because the zombies can get a ton of adjacencies with horde movement to counter scurry and easily turn the cutters into more zombies. Similarly, Death Chasers are just zombies that haven't risen quite yet.

kpucblek November 24th, 2010 11:12 AM

Great article dok!

I totally agree with the whole "you need 4 squads at the minimum" thing.

My main issue with the zombies is... They're nearly impossible to find. We were able to trade for two squads. But now getting them without losing an arm is pretty tough. I recently saw a pack go for about $50 on ebay. I guess it could be worse.

Taeblewalker November 24th, 2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpucblek (Post 1271232)
Great article dok!

My main issue with the zombies is... They're nearly impossible to find. We were able to trade for two squads. But now getting them without losing an arm is pretty tough. I recently saw a pack go for about $50 on ebay. I guess it could be worse.

If you have a bunch of Drones, Drudge, or any other kind of Marro, you can proxy them. You can even use the new Orc squads or Ashigaru, or pretty much anything you want.

Arrow Grut November 24th, 2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1271322)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpucblek (Post 1271232)
Great article dok!

If you have a bunch of Drones, Drudge, or any other kind of Marro, you can proxy them. You can even use the new Orc squads or Ashigaru, or pretty much anything you want.

Great Idea! I might even make a custom Zombie Marro squad and make it have the same stats/abilities as Zombies of Moridian.

kpucblek November 27th, 2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrow Grut (Post 1271508)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1271322)

Great Idea! I might even make a custom Zombie Marro squad and make it have the same stats/abilities as Zombies of Moridian.

Yeah. I think M Drudge would be a decent substitute. It's just not the same though.