Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Official Units (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Book of Granite Guardians (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=27519)

pixlepix November 4th, 2009 07:38 PM

The Book of Granite Guardians

The Book of Granite Guardians
- Collection 10 - "Warriors of Feldspar"

https://i.imgur.com/Ntirh8K.jpg

Synergy Benefits Received

- WARDEN 816 : Guard Leadership
As guards, Granite Guardians may benefit from Warden 816's GUARD LEADERSHIP movement bonus.
Synergy Benefits Offered _________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • - TBA

Power Rankings

Jexik: Granite Guardians- They're like Minions... only not. B-

OEAO: B-

Cleon: Tier 5 (136/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B-

NecroBlade November 4th, 2009 07:39 PM

Re: The book of Granite Guardians

Gain High Ground is cool, but seems strange on the Granites. I really like that both their other powers are tied to height advantage, even though I would've liked terrain-based powers, too.

Creationist November 4th, 2009 07:42 PM

Well think about it. They only have 3 move, and they are 100 points. Personally, these guys look so cool. They may actually bring Warden 816 into use. Oh and you have Kaemon Awa for the name of them.

NecroBlade November 4th, 2009 07:43 PM

Nah. 100 points for a 3-man squad that only has synergy with the Warden? 5 Defense is great and their height-based powers are cool, but they only have 3 Move. Hmm, Gain High Ground does let you move EACH, though. Still, probably fun and good, but not underpriced.

pixlepix November 4th, 2009 07:47 PM

I'd like to try:
Guardians x 3
Rats x 3
Warden
Isamnu

Rats go out first to clog out the map. Granite guardias follow out and kill. Warden for cleanup.

dok November 4th, 2009 07:52 PM

The obvious figure to compare them to is another expensive melee squad of 3 with no bonding: the Minions of Utgar.

MoU have one more defense and, effectively, one more attack (2 deadly strike = 4 dice, or 6 on height, as opposed to 3 or 5 on height for the GGs). Both get 4 move, but MoU get to ignore height on all four moves, not just the last one. The range of 3 is a really cool power, but I'm not sure it swings the comparison in their favor, even at 10 points cheaper. Giving up 1A/1D is a lot.

They're pretty well-balanced and seem like a solid B figure to me, but I wouldn't call them overpowered.

One interesting thing is that gain high ground works for ALL guardians you control, not just the three you activate. This encourages using a bunch of squads of these guys. 4 squads are a huge investment, but then you're getting 12 free moves at the end of the turn!

GGx4 + KMA... 500 points and 15 hexes. Discuss.

SymphonyScaper November 4th, 2009 07:57 PM

The combination of 3 Move with Gain High Ground is very thematic. Out in the open they are slow and clumsy, but are very agile in rugged terrain. Just how I would depict rock golems.

The way Gain High Ground works with the other two abilities is very well thought out. I like the idea of getting the extra 2 range, or the extra attack on adjacent enemies when they have height advantage.

Oh yeah, very nice use of the Obsidian Guard sculpts!

SymphonyScaper November 4th, 2009 08:13 PM

Seems to me that Raelin would be a good partner for these guys. They are slow, so they could bask in Raelin's aura for quite awhile, and because every Granite Guardian you control can move one space at the end of your turn, they could form and rearrange a melee barrier to protect Raelin from melee threats.

I'd like to try:

3x Granite Guardians 300
Raelin 380
Kaemon Awa 500

All those figures with 7+ defense...:shock:

Warlord Alpha November 4th, 2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymphonyScaper (Post 949485)
Seems to me that Raelin would be a good partner for these guys. They are slow, so they could bask in Raelin's aura for quite awhile.

I like it. These guys all slowly creeping up the map, all with 7 defense and often throwing 3 attacks of 5....

Oliver Upshaw November 4th, 2009 08:21 PM

These guys will be great to use against a figure on a glyph as they can remove the enemy figure and then take the glyph themselves.

Ivellius November 4th, 2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padlock (Post 949501)
For 'Gain High Ground', when it says they can move 1 space, does that include spaces that are heavy snow/slippery ice?

No, it shouldn't, as those require 2 spaces of move to enter.

'Scaper94 November 4th, 2009 09:11 PM

I love these guys. I can see a huge amount of potential. They will be able to get to high ground very quickly (obviously), and hold off the enemies until Raelin and Q9 come in.