Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Rhino (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=38127)

Good Pig October 24th, 2011 11:20 PM

The Book of Rhino

The Book of Rhino

C3G MARVEL WAVE 10
TERRIFYING TEAM-UPS

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Sinister set.
Its model number and name are #067-069 / Rhino.
Its model number and name are #211 / Aleksei Mikhailovich.
Character Bio - Aleksei Sytsevich was just another thug in the Russian Mafia, grasping at dreams of easy money, and headed for a short brutal life. Seduced by promises of wealth and power, Aleksei underwent a life-threatening series of chemical and radiation treatments to transform him after several months into the superhumanly strong agent for a collective of professional spies - in part, to support his family. Aleksei's powerful armor permanently bonded to his form, was modeled after the hide of a rhinoceros. Two scientists named Igor and Georgi chose this form, both for its visual impact and in recognition of the fact that the rhino is the result of countless generations of evolution towards the ultimate form for armored assault. They selected Aleksei for his muscular physique and low intelligence, which they believed would insure his loyalty.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A

-Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses-

ImmunitiesBenefitsWeaknesses_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Good Pig October 24th, 2011 11:20 PM

Re: The Book of Rhino - Design

NAME = RHINO
SECRET IDENTITY = ALEKSEI SYTSEVICH

SPECIES = MUTATE
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = CRIMINAL
PERSONALITY = RELENTLESS

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 6

LIFE = 6

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = 220

RHINO CHARGE
After moving normally with Rhino, if he is not engaged, you may move Rhino up to 3 spaces in a straight line. Add 1 die to his attack for each space moved with Rhino Charge. After using the Rhino Charge special power, if Rhino attacked and did not inflict one or more wounds, roll 1 unblockable attack die. If you roll a skull, Rhino receives a wound.

TOUGH
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack, Rhino always adds one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

WEAK-MINDED 2
If any player rolls the 20-sided die to take temporary or permanent control of Rhino, that player may add 2 to the roll.

SUPER STRENGTH

tcglkn October 24th, 2011 11:39 PM

Do you not have to attack the figure to use Rhino Charge? As worded, I could choose a figure across the map and attack a figure two spaces away and get a good boost.

Good Pig October 24th, 2011 11:42 PM

Not sure what you're talking about :razz:

Hahma October 25th, 2011 12:08 AM

Awesome to see this guy finally get designed. Looks great GP!:D

I don't know if these minor changes need to be made, but I figured I'd offer that for extra clarity and added a couple commas. Though, Sir G and Bats will make sure that's right as they are the grammar experts. :D

Quote:

RHINO CHARGE
Before moving Rhino, you may choose a non-adjacent figure. Count the minimum number of spaces between Rhino and the chosen figure. When attacking the chosen figure, add 1 die to Rhino's normal attack for each counted space, to a maximum of 4 additional dice. When moving, Rhino will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

IAmBatman October 25th, 2011 01:15 AM

Hmm ... what's striking me as just slightly odd about this is that you count the shortest distance, but then you can move him in any path you choose and you still get that bonus. You don't have to actually move him along the path you're calculating the bonus based on.
Not sure if this will actually bother me in gameplay or anything, it just stuck out to me.
I like the elegance of this and really love the overall theme here. Good stuff. :-)

IAmBatman October 25th, 2011 01:23 AM

OK, I think what was striking me as odd was that it seems as if the text is letting you choose the figure and count the spaces and then apply that attack bonus for the rest of the game! I think the text I have below will help that read more clearly.
I also added in a line or two there with an idea I just had along the lines of Electro. Basically it lets Spidey or other heroes bait Rhino into running at them, then they jump out of the way (defend) and he ends up running into one of his allies and hurting them. Classic Spidey move. Tell me what you think:

RHINO CHARGE
Before moving Rhino, you may choose a non-adjacent figure. Count the minimum number of spaces between Rhino and the chosen figure. If Rhino ends his move adjacent to the chosen figure, when attacking the chosen figure add 1 die to Rhino’s normal attack for each counted space, to a maximum of 4 additional dice. If Rhino fails to inflict a wound on the chosen figure with his normal attack, you must choose one additional figure within two spaces, move Rhino up to one space, and attack that figure, if possible. When moving, Rhino will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Griffin October 25th, 2011 01:23 AM

I love what you are doing with the design, but I am not liking a power level of 8 attack dice - Superman I has an attack of 7. I just don't think Rhino needs to be hitting that hard.

IAmBatman October 25th, 2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1502790)
I love what you are doing with the design, but I am not liking a power level of 8 attack dice - Superman I has an attack of 7. I just don't think Rhino needs to be hitting that hard.

He has an attack of 9, potentially. But that's only if he amps it up with his Charge. Charging 3 to 4 spaces with a move of 7 won't happen all the time. I think we could drop the disengage to make it tougher, though, potentially. I think there needs to be enough of a bonus for it to be worthwhile and feel thematically right, though.
I think my idea above could help as well, because you could play it against him.

Griffin October 25th, 2011 02:03 AM

:typo: I meant to type 9.

IAmBatman October 25th, 2011 02:11 AM

What do you think of my suggestion above? I know it needs some ironing out, but if we could mechanically translate the theme of Rhino charging at someone, missing, and hitting one of his own allies instead, I would be a happy panda. Maybe even the defending player chooses a figure to take an auto wound or something ... ?

Hahma October 25th, 2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1502789)
OK, I think what was striking me as odd was that it seems as if the text is letting you choose the figure and count the spaces and then apply that attack bonus for the rest of the game! I think the text I have below will help that read more clearly.
I also added in a line or two there with an idea I just had along the lines of Electro. Basically it lets Spidey or other heroes bait Rhino into running at them, then they jump out of the way (defend) and he ends up running into one of his allies and hurting them. Classic Spidey move. Tell me what you think:

RHINO CHARGE
Before moving Rhino, you may choose a non-adjacent figure. Count the minimum number of spaces between Rhino and the chosen figure. If Rhino ends his move adjacent to the chosen figure, when attacking the chosen figure add 1 die to Rhino’s normal attack for each counted space, to a maximum of 4 additional dice. If Rhino fails to inflict a wound on the chosen figure with his normal attack, you must choose one additional figure within two spaces, move Rhino up to one space, and attack that figure, if possible. When moving, Rhino will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

I like that idea! :D

Quote:

Huntress has a double special attack of 5 (from 2 spaces) and Ruthless Counterstrike which can deal auto-wounds to Supes, GL's etc. for only 170 points. But certain conditions make that not always work out, by engaging her and forcing her to take LE attacks to get the shot, and attacking her from range. And by herself engaged her defense drops to 4 so less likely of nasty Ruthless Counterstrike.

Rhino can be made similarly in that he can have nasty potential, but there are ways around it or to turn it against him or his team like Bats said. The thing that I found with [redacted] is that you could engage him first to mess up his Charge. You can also have meat shields as screens to slow him down from hitting your big guns and attack him from range or engage him for an attack when it's convenient for you. You could also have guys like Blob, Metallo, Clayface get him so he is stuck and can't leave engagement to Charge again. A normal melee attack of 5 isn't that nasty from him. You could also have guys like Electro or Mystique etc. to potentially give him wounds for engaging him. Sometimes Rhino might get to only Charge once in a game for the big attack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1502793)
Quote:

He has an attack of 9, potentially. But that's only if he amps it up with his Charge. Charging 3 to 4 spaces with a move of 7 won't happen all the time. I think we could drop the disengage to make it tougher, though, potentially. I think there needs to be enough of a bonus for it to be worthwhile and feel thematically right, though.
I think my idea above could help as well, because you could play it against him.

Yeah, perhaps dropping the disengage would help tone him down some after seeing the potential huge attack. If you did that, wouldn't he take leaving engagement attacks with your suggested change for missing? That could help tone him down some.

That all said, he needs to still be someone that the player controlling him could have fun with in setting up the big hit and someone that the opponent needs to gameplan for and keep an eye on.