Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Board Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Battleship Galaxies (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26535)

Hahma July 17th, 2011 09:00 PM

Re: Battleship Galaxies

Yeah, like I said, I don't care about the turrets. All I care about is the bases/stands for the ships.

I recall all the DnD whining and I remember going to the defense of the DnD stuff and laying into people about their whining. I also just a day or two ago laid into some people at BGG about whining because they said the Summoner Wars Master Set box was too big and not practical.

Now with Battleship Galaxies, I wasn't going to rip into people because some had legit gripe with missing stands for the ships. Seems like the extra missing turret issue is getting resolved by Wotc. Most people didn't even notice that there was a second turret in the front until someone mentioned it.

Edit: I just saw the thread you were referring to at BGG Dad Scaper. Wow, that was pretty bad. :poorpost: The one I had seen before was different.

Aldin July 17th, 2011 10:32 PM

Wowzers! Played my first game today and LOVED it! My opponent was kind enough to roll a lot of 'A's, 'J's, '1's and '8's allowing me to pummel the Wretch into little piles of scrap. Tons of fun and can hardly wait to play again!

~Aldin, true believer

Hahma July 17th, 2011 11:15 PM

Hoping to play mine sometime this week.

Hahma ~ Envious :)

Gurei-Ornery July 18th, 2011 07:37 AM

Do these people actually play games or just look at them. I played 5 games over the weekend before I even noticed a turret. This from a person whose wife always comments on his perceptiveness, especially when it comes to laundry. :lol:

Seriously, shut up and play. There's no crying in gaming (great movie), unless you lose a DW in his first defense roll, which I have. :cry:

G-O, mostly tongue in cheek

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 1442348)
I suspect the people with none may find they have some recourse.

The people with one should shut up and play. It's not a QC issue; it's an issue where a prototype was slightly different from what went into production. A whole lot of nothing, like almost everything else I read at BGG. Lord, some of those people have issues with entitlement. Our own D&D-era Scape whiners have *nothing* on them.

The more time I spend there, the happier I am here.

:2cents:

edit:
Check out this post from BGG; turns out I was right:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BGG post
Wow!

Ok, so I sent another email to WotC Customer Service...Sunday night...they responded within just a few minutes.

That is just really good customer service.

The news was good.

Quote:
Quote:

Hello again George,

We apologize for the confusion in this matter. If your ISN Everest is missing both turrets, that is something we can replace with a 1 turret version. Again, we're very sorry for the mix-up. Your can expect your replacement within the next 1-2 weeks.

Take Care and Good Gaming!
(Emphasis added)

So, for folks like me that had no front turrets at all, they are going to offer a replacement.

That IS cool. I am content with that and appreciate that they stood by their product.

I can understand a last minute manufacturing problem that caused all the minis to have only one turret...but not having any at all was too much. The did the right thing and my hat is off to them.

Good show.

Hogg July 18th, 2011 09:26 AM

The timing of expansions can make or break a game. Look at Marvelscape. I think if we had gotten the first wave of expansions there would be a lot less Marvel master sets sitting on shelves.

Heroscape got wave 1 almost immediately and that couldn't have hurt sales any.

chas July 19th, 2011 05:11 AM

;) It would be great to have expansions. But remember, it is now a hobbystore only distribution, not a general big box one. So they have to be more careful spending money. I'm looking forward to seeing it at my first GenCon in a few weeks!

Hahma July 19th, 2011 06:43 AM

While they have to be careful on how they spend their money, I think that their marketing strategy would lend itself to customer expectations of expansions.

They are rebooting the classic game of Battleship. Instead of being sold at typical stores where you'd find the other variations of Battleship, they are being sold at game stores and online game distributors. The game isn't cheap, and understandably so because of the awesome components. So now they are already narrowing the target consumer to that of a person who frequents game stores or online sellers and that is willing to pay premium prices for games sold at those places. Those consumers are more likely to be more savvy in researching a game than those that might just throw a board game into their cart at Walmart or Target. So if after the initial hype of a new release settles down and their research shows that an expandable game is actually expanding, it can make that game more attractive. If an expandable game doesn't expand, it might be thought of as dead in the water and maybe not as attractive.

People that buy games at places where this game is being sold are more likely to have expandable games in their collections or be aware of the success of the expandable games they see available at those places. To some, seeing expansions means that the base game is worth getting because they will know that it is being supported by the manufacturer and that it's going to offer more variety and options for playing. They are going to be aware that the most popular games on the market have expansions, such as; Dominion, Thunderstone, Smallworld, 7 Wonders, Carcassone, Settlers of Cataan, Race For The Galaxy, Memoir '44 etc.

I was supposed to get my copy of the game yesterday but it didn't arrive, however at my weekly gaming group meeting, some new guys showed up and one guy brought Battleship Galaxies. No one got to play it as there were other multi-players in progress and time ran short, but a few of us stuck around to check out the contents and it looked really cool. The owner had only played 1 game with his 6 year-old daughter so far, but he really was excited about it. Another person looked on and said, "oh that's just Battleship!" But the owner dispelled that by showing off the different cards and stuff in the game and I commented also that it certainly wasn't "just Battleship." So that made me think of another reason that expansions would be good for the game. If a person see BG on the shelf and isn't as inclined to research it, they may just think of the game as an expensive version of the classic Battleship. However, if they see an expansion or two sitting on the shelf next to the base game, they may be more inclined to think the game was deeper and a bit more than "just Battleship," and perhaps pick it up or at least research it.

Hopefully my copy of the game shows up today:pray:

Hogg July 19th, 2011 10:54 AM

Its worth mentioning here that a BG board has popped up. There are several recognizable 'Scapers on there already. Here is the URL:

http://battleshipgalaxians.com/

SuperflyTNT July 19th, 2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 1442392)
Wowzers! Played my first game today and LOVED it! My opponent was kind enough to roll a lot of 'A's, 'J's, '1's and '8's allowing me to pummel the Wretch into little piles of scrap. Tons of fun and can hardly wait to play again!

~Aldin, true believer

Great. I'm just "an opponent" now.... ;)

Dad_Scaper July 19th, 2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT (Post 1443401)
Quote:

~Aldin, true believer

And an incompetent one, at that. :twisted:

MegaSilver July 19th, 2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 1443405)
Quote:

Quote:

~Aldin, true believer

And an incompetent one, at that. :twisted:

:rofl:

Aldin July 19th, 2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

~Aldin, true believer

*chuckle*

Names were redacted to protect the guilty :p

~Aldin, glad Pete took it easy on him in his first game