Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Confred January 28th, 2013 08:03 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

If we go the Power Glyph route, our card free's up space.
http://i.imgur.com/qhhTEKf.jpg

Combat Experience becomes a glyph
Leadership Experience becomes a glyph

Remove all wound markers wahh? You sacrifice an entire round. 3 turns = 3 wounds if he had standard Regenerate + any mayhem he would have wrecked.

Balantai January 29th, 2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1752366)
Thomas Hunter
Aquilla
Human
Unique Hero
Protector
Resolute

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 2

UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Treasure/Ability Glyph on this card, opponent's figures roll 1 less attack die when attacking Thomas Hunter with a normal attack.

COMBAT EXPERIENCE
Begin the game with 5 Treasure/Ability Glyphs. When Thomas Hunter destroys an opponent's figure, choose a Treasure/Ability Glyph and place it power-side up on this Army Card, to a maximum of 3 Treasure/Ability Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Treasure/Ability Glyph on this card.

ALTERNATE REALITY
If Thomas Hunter receives enough wounds to be destroyed, you may reveal the X order marker on this card and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 5-19, you may ignore any wounds just received. If you roll a 20, ignore any wounds just received and remove all wound markers from this card.

What's the theme behind Combat Experience? I thought Thomas Hunter gained combat experience as Thomas of Hunter defeated enemies. This seems like a significant theme break to me.

Why not tie Combat Experience to Alternate Reality and allow Thomas to use it whenever he takes any wounds? This would show that he's gaing his abilities from Thomas of Hunter instead of his own combat experience.

Balantai January 29th, 2013 12:29 PM

I like Confred's ideas, but I'd like to have Lamaclown's buy off on going that route before critiquing them.

Balantai January 29th, 2013 01:13 PM

Tweaking your version:

Thomas Hunter
Aquilla
Human
Unique Hero
Protector
Resolute

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 2

THOMAS OF HUNTER
Start the game with 5 Treasure/Ability Glyphs face down next to this card. Wheneven Thomas Hunter successfully uses his Alternate Reality Special Power, choose a Treasure/Ability Glyph and place it power-side up on this Army Card, up to a maximum of 3 Treasure/Ability Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Treasure/Ability Glyph on this card.

UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Treasure/Ability Glyph on this card, opponent's figures roll 1 less attack die when attacking Thomas Hunter with a normal attack.

ALTERNATE REALITY
If Thomas Hunter would receive any wounds from an attack, you may reveal the X order marker on this card and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 5-19, you may ignore any wounds just received. If you roll a 20, ignore any wounds just received and remove all wound markers from this card.

mac122 January 29th, 2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753040)
Tweaking your version:

Thomas Hunter
Aquilla
Human
Unique Hero
Protector
Resolute

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 2

THOMAS OF HUNTER
Start the game with 5 Treasure/Ability Glyphs face down next to this card. Whenever Thomas Hunter successfully uses his Alternate Reality Special Power, choose a Treasure/Ability Glyph and place it power-side up on this Army Card, up to a maximum of 3 Treasure/Ability Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Treasure/Ability Glyph on this card.

UNDERESTIMATED

ALTERNATE REALITY
If Thomas Hunter would receive any wounds from an attack, you may reveal the X order marker on this card and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 5-19, you may ignore any wounds just received. If you roll a 20, ignore any wounds just received and remove all wound markers from this card.

Looking good. I think we should create Ability glyphs. If we use Treasure glyphs, if Thomas is destroyed, the glyphs end up on the battlefield. His experience gained in the Alternate Reality should not be transferable. It would also allow Thomas to gain experience by picking up Treasure glyphs during the battle.

Confred January 29th, 2013 01:54 PM

Balantai,
I think Underestimated should work without him having any experience. Not having experience is how he got underestimated in the first place.
A good part of that power is that it protects him until he levels up
I also reduced it down to working with any figure on my unpublished mockups. But something about Unique Heroes makes the underestimation thematically tasty. Random scrubs don't estimate their actions, they just do what they're told without more or less integrity.

I'd prefer Alternate Reality to work with any order marker

Balantai January 29th, 2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1753047)
Looking good. I think we should create Ability glyphs. If we use Treasure glyphs, if Thomas is destroyed, the glyphs end up on the battlefield. His experience gained in the Alternate Reality should not be transferable. It would also allow Thomas to gain experience by picking up Treasure glyphs during the battle.

I agree. What ideas do we have for Ability Cards? I'd say:
Counterstrike
A Leadership/Bonding ability
A hand-to-hand combat Special Attack
???
???

Lamaclown January 29th, 2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1753047)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753040)
Tweaking your version:

Thomas Hunter
Aquilla
Human
Unique Hero
Protector
Resolute

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 2

THOMAS OF HUNTER
Start the game with 5 Treasure/Ability Glyphs face down next to this card. Whenever Thomas Hunter successfully uses his Alternate Reality Special Power, choose a Treasure/Ability Glyph and place it power-side up on this Army Card, up to a maximum of 3 Treasure/Ability Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Treasure/Ability Glyph on this card.

UNDERESTIMATED

ALTERNATE REALITY

I like those tweaks as well.

Good points about using Treasure Glyphs, mac.

The only concern I have is that by linking Thomas of Hunter with Alternate Reality, he will be able to acquire a glyph only once per round, which in itself isn't a problem. The problem is that if he gets swarmed early or attacked by multi-attack hard hitting hero, with a base defense of 2 he stands a good chance of getting destroyed before he has a chance to build up to a respectable defense. I think it does fit the theme better. Perhaps we could tweak his base defense or the mechanic for Alternate Reality (it can be named something else, I was drawing a blank when I was trying to think of a name).

double :ninja:d

Balantai January 29th, 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 1753070)
Balantai,
I think Underestimated should work without him having any experience. Not having experience is how he got underestimated in the first place.
A good part of that power is that it protects him until he levels up
I also reduced it down to working with any figure on my unpublished mockups. But something about Unique Heroes makes the underestimation thematically tasty. Random scrubs don't estimate their actions, they just do what they're told without more or less integrity.

I'd prefer Alternate Reality to work with any order marker

Actually, it is my understanding, Underestimated represents the enemy expecting the Thomas Hunter that starts the game, but when he returns from his Alternate Reality, he's become stronger and thus is understimated.

Otherwise, I'm okay with your proposed changes, but I'd like to hear from Lama first. He's been really active on this design so I don't see a need to force in any adjustments.

Lamaclown January 29th, 2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753076)
Actually, it is my understanding, Underestimated represents the enemy expecting the Thomas Hunter that starts the game, but when he returns from his Alternate Reality, he's become stronger and thus is understimated.

That is correct, balantai.

Balantai January 29th, 2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1753075)
I like those tweaks as well.

Good points about using Treasure Glyphs, mac.

The only concern I have is that by linking Thomas of Hunter with Alternate Reality, he will be able to acquire a glyph only once per round, which in itself isn't a problem. The problem is that if he gets swarmed early or attacked by multi-attack hard hitting hero, with a base defense of 2 he stands a good chance of getting destroyed before he has a chance to build up to a respectable defense. I think it does fit the theme better. Perhaps we could tweak his base defense or the mechanic for Alternate Reality (it can be named something else, I was drawing a blank when I was trying to think of a name).

double :ninja:d

Confred's suggestion of using any Order Marker instead of just the X Marker would help with your concerns. Otherwise, if you opponent is forced to bypass your other figures to focus fire Thomas Hunter, you're already at a strategic advantage. We don't want to make a figure that doesn't have any weakness. Also, won't it be fun when your opponent starts squirming every round knowing that they need to take out Thomas Hunter fast or pay the consequences?

Lamaclown January 29th, 2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1753082)
Confred's suggestion of using any Order Marker instead of just the X Marker would help with your concerns. Otherwise, if you opponent is forced to bypass your other figures to focus fire Thomas Hunter, you're already at a strategic advantage. We don't want to make a figure that is immune to weakness. Also, won't it be fun when your opponent starts squirming every round knowing that they need to take out Thomas Hunter fast or pay the consequences?

Believe me, I like the idea of using more than just the X OM...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1749955)
TIME OUT
If Thomas Hunter receives enough wounds to be destroyed, you may reveal a numbered order marker on this card. If you do, ignore any wounds just received. You may not take a turn with the order marker you chose to reveal.

:D