Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Pre-SoV Workshop (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=47761)

TheAverageFan May 7th, 2015 03:20 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the fact that he's another Warlord--he'd be mighty-powerful with the already mighty-powerful Romans.

~TAF

Ixe May 7th, 2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 2019885)
It's a borderline case for the reasons you mention. Personally I don't like adding genetic engineering into the Raptorians (they use magic, apparently), but I understand it would be almost necessary if we ever hope to see more Raptorians.

Maybe its magic "engineering" instead of genetic. I'd have no qualms about the warlord be magically enhanced by raptoran warwitches or what have you. Heck, his tail could even have been magically grafted by Durnipia. If she could do it for Valguad...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinseth (Post 2019891)
I get the concept, it just doesn't excite me. *Shrug*

Well, some things don't read as exciting but play well, so I guess I'll hope for it to fall more into that category.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAverageFan (Post 2019912)
I'm surprised nobody's brought up the fact that he's another Warlord--he'd be mighty-powerful with the already mighty-powerful Romans.

jedilou most certainly mentioned that concern and how he might eclipse other warlords like the Azurite Warlord. It's a concern of mine as well. I'm more of asking about the miniature right now and will figure out what changes are needed with testing.

Just_a_Bill May 9th, 2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ixe (Post 2019790)
Again, I justify it with the hand-wavy "genetic engineering" excuse. The Raptorans come from Marr after all and lived next to the kings of genetic manipulation.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that the Raptorians have also dabbled in G.E. (speculation which I would advise against), but it certainly seems plausible that the Marro themselves would have experimented on the other species on their world. This figure could be truly unique, a single captured specimen whose testing was largely successful, but who then escaped from his Marro captors and returned to use his horrific-yet-useful enhancements to help his own people.

The dealbreaker for me, though, is the Pazuzu's price tag. SoV and C3V should not be producing individual heroes that initially cost $16-18 or more plus shipping plus rebasing costs, and probably much more than that a bit down the road when the sculpts are out of production (or even after the initial surge of purchases from VC scapers). If the goal of the VCs is to be inclusive rather than exclusive and keep the game alive for current and new players, price constraints should be one of the first considerations.

superfrog May 9th, 2015 01:22 PM

Thanks for bringing up price. That's very important, and I hadn't checked. Anything that's more than about 7 dollars should have a very good reason.

Just_a_Bill May 9th, 2015 01:50 PM

I've always wanted a Microcorp boss. Here are a couple of visually reasonable and cheap sculpts:

Heroclix Checkmate Knight #007 or #014 — CoolStuffInc has 59 @ $0.40 & $0.49
http://s20.postimg.cc/iqx1brvfx/Checkmate_Knights.jpg

Heroclix Steve Trevor #018 — Troll and Toad has 40 @ $0.49
http://s20.postimg.cc/6z960z0tp/hc_flash_018.jpg

Here's my (latest) work in progress using the brunette Checkmate Knight. Her name is pronounced "bore-SEE-guh" with a Spanish tongue roll on the double R. (Can anybody tell where that spelling came from from?)

http://s20.postimg.cc/9s6yyqqjx/Agent_Borrciga.png

Quote:

AGENT BORRCIGA (Vydar)
HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
TRICKY
MEDIUM 4
3 LIFE
MOVE 5
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 2
80 POINTS

STEALTH ARMOR 12
When Agent Borrciga receives one or more wounds, before removing her from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, ignore any wounds.

WATER SUIT 3
Agent Borrciga does not have to stop her movement when entering a water space. Add 3 to Agent Borrciga’s defense while she is on a water space.

AGENT COORDINATION
After taking a turn with Agent Borrciga, if she either did not move or did not attack, you may take a turn with a Common Agent Squad you control. Any figures that Squad attacks during that turn must be within clear sight of Agent Borrciga. If 2 or 3 of those Squad members attack the same figure, you may combine their attacks into one special attack and roll their normal attack dice together. Roll 1 additional attack die if the combined attackers are all on the same level.

Soundwarp SG-1 May 9th, 2015 04:32 PM

The 'special attack' part isn't going to fly in VC I'd wager, that's just pushing the game in weird ways.

Just_a_Bill May 9th, 2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2020238)
The 'special attack' part isn't going to fly in VC I'd wager, that's just pushing the game in weird ways.

Can you elaborate? There's been precedent for this since wave 1:
ARROW VOLLEY SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 6, Attack 6.
Three unengaged adjacent Roman Archers on the same level may combine their attacks and roll their attack dice as one attack. All Roman Archers in the arrow volley must have a clear line of sight on the one target.
So "combining" multiple normal attacks into one special attack is actually quite canonical. Given that Agent Coordination only applies to Microcorps and Gorillinators, it's even using the same numbers (3x2=6), although I did take the liability of the Archers' same-level requirement and turn it into an optional bonus.

I'm actually pretty surprised nobody has yet repeated this trick since wave 1. It's a really nice function, if the units are costed properly.

Dysole May 9th, 2015 05:01 PM

Hmm

There is precedent with the Roman Archers, Ashigaru Yari, and Zombies of Morindan for combining normal attacks into a single special attack but it's always labeled as a special attack. Being able to convert a squad's normal attack into a special attack from another figure however is weird uncharted territory and it also makes Microcorp Troopers launch an attack of 6 and 4. They really don't need the help.

~Dysole, informationally

IshMEL May 9th, 2015 05:21 PM

You could do something similar to this:

Telepathic Triangulation
When this Wharfang Hunter makes a normal attack on a non-adjacent figure, roll 2 additional attack dice for up to 2 other Wharfang Hunters you control that are in range of the target, and are not adjacent to the target or to any Wharfang Hunter.

Substitute other agents for the Wharfang Hunters here (they are common heroes). She would have the attack functionally, and thematically it is a coordinated attack.

Soundwarp SG-1 May 9th, 2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill (Post 2020239)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2020238)

Can you elaborate? There's been precedent for this since wave 1:
ARROW VOLLEY SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 6, Attack 6.
Three unengaged adjacent Roman Archers on the same level may combine their attacks and roll their attack dice as one attack. All Roman Archers in the arrow volley must have a clear line of sight on the one target.
So "combining" multiple normal attacks into one special attack is actually quite canonical. Given that Agent Coordination only applies to Microcorps and Gorillinators, it's even using the same numbers (3x2=6), although I did take the liability of the Archers' same-level requirement and turn it into an optional bonus.

I'm actually pretty surprised nobody has yet repeated this trick since wave 1. It's a really nice function, if the units are costed properly.

Yeah, I know about the Roman Archers, I didn't start playing this game yesterday. ;)

There are three different squads with combined attacks in classic scape actually, but what you're suggesting isn't even vaguely the same thing, and it's not remotely doable in its current form. Something like IshMEL's suggestion is the way to go for this kind of thing.

Just_a_Bill May 9th, 2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 2020241)
There is precedent with the Roman Archers, Ashigaru Yari, and Zombies of Morindan for combining normal attacks into a single special attack but it's always labeled as a special attack.

And this is also labeled as a special attack, in the text. (Obviously it can't say "SPECIAL ATTACK" in the title because it's not the hero's special attack.) It is (I believe) new ground to build a special attack on the fly, but so was Bonding the first time one unit built a turn for another unit on the fly. If it was confusing, or abusable, or breaking the game's timing structure then I'd be right there with you. But so far nobody has shown me why it doesn't work. If there's an actual problem I'm not seeing, I would like to have it pointed out. Show me why it's wrong, and I'll be the first guy in line to fix it or kill it.

Quote:

Being able to convert a squad's normal attack into a special attack from another figure however is weird uncharted territory

I agree with uncharted, but weird is in the eye of the beholder. Heroscape got weird with WotC, and continued to get weirder with VCs. Are you saying that "hasn't been done before" is an automatic disqualifier? Hope not. Seems like we should evaluate effects on their merits, rather than on their unfamiliarity.

Quote:

and it also makes Microcorp Troopers launch an attack of 6 and 4.

No, it doesn't. The Microcorp Troopers are not Agents.

I've run through the synergies and the scenarios pretty carefully here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2020244)
it's not remotely doable in its current form.

Please explain why. I"m clearly hearing some "I don't like this," but so far I'm not hearing "this is why it can't possibly work."

I didn't just pull this card out of my ear this morning. I've been doing game design for over 15 years, and while that doesn't make me right (I'm often wrong) and it doesn't make the design good (it might be terrible), it does mean I'm going to be hoping for more than just being dismissed with "this is wrong, I don't like it, go away or completely change how it works to be like this other card." If you guys want to tear it down, that's fine; expected, even — killing bad designs is part of the purpose of this thread, right? — but please show me why it deserves summary execution. You might be entirely right and I might be full of crap, but can we see the reasons?

It would be foolish of me to throw it out just because it's doing something old in a new way and that makes people uncomfortable the first time they look at it. Explain a real problem with the effect or the language ... that's a good way to shut me up. ;)

Dysole May 9th, 2015 06:52 PM

Special Eyes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill (Post 2020251)
Quote:

There is precedent with the Roman Archers, Ashigaru Yari, and Zombies of Morindan for combining normal attacks into a single special attack but it's always labeled as a special attack.

And this is also labeled as a special attack, in the text. (Obviously it can't say "SPECIAL ATTACK" in the title because it's not the hero's special attack.) It is (I believe) new ground to build a special attack on the fly, but so was Bonding the first time one unit built a turn for another unit on the fly. If it was confusing, or abusable, or breaking the game's timing structure then I'd be right there with you. But so far nobody has shown me why it doesn't work. If there's an actual problem I'm not seeing, I would like to have it pointed out. Show me why it's wrong, and I'll be the first guy in line to fix it or kill it.

Well the special attack is kind of buried in the text. I guess because of that it makes it very against precedent.

Quote:

Quote:

Being able to convert a squad's normal attack into a special attack from another figure however is weird uncharted territory

I agree with uncharted, but weird is in the eye of the beholder. Heroscape got weird with WotC, and continued to get weirder with VCs. Are you saying that "hasn't been done before" is an automatic disqualifier? Hope not. Seems like we should evaluate effects on their merits, rather than on their unfamiliarity.
It feels like an effect that would not have been placed into Scape. Again, that's my opinion but this particular implementation does not feel like something that would be in Scape.

Quote:

Quote:

and it also makes Microcorp Troopers launch an attack of 6 and 4.

No, it doesn't. The Microcorp Troopers are not Agents.

I've run through the synergies and the scenarios pretty carefully here.

My bad.

~Dysole, who thinks it's less the power and more this particular implementation that feels weird and "customy" although I hate to use that word