Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Heroscape Strategy Articles (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Dragons: Pros and Cons (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=1003)

wimba808 June 27th, 2006 06:05 PM

The Dragons: Pros and Cons

There are 5 dragons in the world of heroscape. Mimring ( a fire dragon) The skeletal dragon: aka su-bak-na(a firce hive controling dragon) Charos (a droagon that has excelent defenseive power) Nilfhelim(a huge ice dragon) and Braxas ( the deadly that breathed acid). here u can post the Good and Bad about either of the 5 dragons.

0rbital June 27th, 2006 06:22 PM

I just played a game with my son last night with 800 pt armies. Mimring and Charos attacking together reaked havoc on his army (mostly borgs, dw8k, 9k, and taelord) and just ripped through them.

Mimring's fire attack can do a lot of damage, though he can be killed without too much trouble. Charos with a lot of life and good def/attack with counterstrike is probably my first choice out of those three dragons. I don't have Nilfhelim or Braxas yet.

SBN was in the game too but I never had to use him.

Aranas June 27th, 2006 09:21 PM

All dragons are fun to play but they also tend to attract attention! So, more often than not, they fall quite fast. It's even worst if you play a multiplayer game FFA (free for all).
Charos has more life though, so he usually goes down less quickly.
I haven't played with Braxas yet.
Both Mimring and Su-Bak-Na are picked up by ranged units easily. Move them carafully. On big maps, Mimring can take profit of it's long ranged attack while keeping it out of reach.
Su-Bak-Na works well if you keep it for the end of the battle.
I've had good luck with Nilfheim but my experience with it is too limited to really judge it.

Hope this helps!

MegadeV June 27th, 2006 09:57 PM

I rank the top 3 as being very close to each other, with the Utgar dragons being far behind.

1st place - Nilfheim
2nd best attack dice
2nd best defense dice
3rd best life
Specials - The most consistent special attack among the dragons (unless going against a bunch of squads, Braxas is better there), being able to spread out the attack and the extra attack die really make Mimring's fire breath look weak in comparison.
The only real negative with Nilfheim is his figure's wing span. It can be difficult to maneuver in a tree/hill ridden or crowded battlefield.

2nd place - Charos
tied for 3rd best attack dice
best defense dice
best life
Special - Counterstrike is awesome even if people don't often attack Charos. The threat alone can be enough to make the enemy maneuever where you want them to, or at least clog up the area and make it hard for his ground troops to move through.
Charos' realatively low movement can sometimes make it difficult to retreat to a healing glyph or Kelda.

3rd place - Braxas
3rd best attack dice
tied for worst defense dice
2nd best life
Specials - Acid breath can be deadly against hordes of squads and is still effective enough against heroes.
Braxas' low defense is her undoing, but with her high life, she should still get a few kills before she goes down.

4th place - Mimring
worst attack dice
tied for lowest life
Specials - Mimring's fire line breath weapon that can damage up to 8 figures. It's not easy to get them lined up often, but is fun when it happens.
Mimring's low life and defense (at least for a dragon) often make him not worth drafting, but he can be well worth it in a large army battle where he'll get plenty of chances to hit multiple targets.

5th place - Su-Bak-Na
best attack dice
tied for worst life
Specials - Easily the most useless dragon special. Sure, it helps out the Marro, but not having a ranged attack really hurts Su-Bak-Na. With his low life and defense, it's too risky moving him in to attack forimdable opponents like Krug. Mimring has the same defense and life, but at least he can attack from up to 8 spaces away if he needs to.

Aranas June 27th, 2006 10:32 PM

Wow! Ask and you shall receive! That's what I would call an awsome answer! Thank you MegadeV for this detailed analysis :thumbsup:
And only 13 posts! Honestly, you are more than welcome to post anytime you know?

DingoDarkly June 28th, 2006 06:30 AM

Well i like all the dragons...but they always seem to get taken out quite quickly whenever i play.
My favourite dragon would have to be Charos. He has great life points, pretty good defense and attack.
I like Mimrings special attack but his stats aren't excellent.
I like Nilfiems stats and his and Braxas' Special attacks.
Su-bak-na has good attack but can be taken out quickly due to quite low defense!

Agent Minivann June 28th, 2006 07:05 AM

Months ago my son played an army with all the dragons (at the time) and I walked all over him. With the exception of Mimring's special attack, the range 1 is a huge crutch. When used properly they are hugely ( pun not intended) valuable units. When used wrong they burn your points faster than a fire in a fireworks factory. MegadeV's post is great and should be required reading for new players.

Revdyer June 28th, 2006 08:31 AM

Our weekly game last night saw these armies:

Player 1: Braxas, Nilfheim, and a squad of Samarai
Player 2: Syvarris, Morsbane, Kelda, Alistair MacDirk, and a squad of MacDirk Warriors.

(We were playing a game of 470 points. We usually size our armies by starting with 400 points, then rolling the d20 x 10, so armies range from 410 to 600)

Player 2 (me) won the first game, mostly because Moresbane rolled a 20 on Nilfheim, destroying the dragon.

Player 1 won the second game and then also took the tie-breaker. But both of the latter games were close.

I didn't play the MacDirks and Alistair as well as I should have.

In none of the games did the dragons survive to the end.

markwars June 28th, 2006 09:38 AM

At the last Texas gathering I was playing an opponent with Charos...I had DW8K and used the Rapid Fire special attack right at the beginning of the game. I hit five straight times and left nothing but a pile of smoking green dragon meat. Obviously some good rolls on my part and some unfortunate rolls by my opponent were needed to make that happen, but it illustrates the danger of putting so many points into one figure.

I generally play armies that are made of many small parts rather that a few big parts. Some times it saves me and some times it kills me. I guess that's part of the beauty of this game.

And thank you very much for that breakdown MegadeV. :wink:

K/H_Addict June 28th, 2006 09:44 AM

i dont really considerSBN a dragin. I think to be a dragon, The card has to say "dragon" as it's race. I'll only consider SBN a dragon when explaining the pattern of the large heroes sets (2 dragons, 1 fig that can carry, 1 soulborg, and 1 other)

markwars June 28th, 2006 09:47 AM

Good point K/H Addict.

If you consider SBN a dragon then why don't you consider Grimnak a dragon too? I mean dinos are as close to dragons as this planet has ever seen right?

K/H_Addict June 28th, 2006 09:48 AM

i think grimnak sucks, so i dont even consider him.....