Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Using Magic: AotP figures in Heroscape? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=54485)

Sherman Davies November 19th, 2017 09:42 PM

Using Magic: AotP figures in Heroscape?

Since it's been pretty clear for a while now that Hasbro's Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers game will no longer be supported by the company, some of us in Valhalla Customs were wondering how the public felt about the potential use of these minis in Heroscape. We appreciate any input you all can provide. Thanks!

Taeblewalker November 19th, 2017 10:29 PM

Re: Using Magic: AotP figures in Heroscape?

I like the idea of using them. Our own NYC group would certainly benefit from it since chas has all the figures. U also like the idea of staying true to their powers.

NecroBlade November 19th, 2017 11:15 PM

My take, in short: I like Magic: the Gathering fine, but have zero interest in seeing the license brought to Heroscape proper. If the figures are good enough to use, I'd be much more excited to see what unique Heroscape designs can be made.

bmon November 20th, 2017 12:16 AM

The first option has me a bit confused. I assumed you meant use of the prepainted miniatures only. You aren't really considering use of the unpainted ones, are you?

As far as using the prepainted miniatures... yes please. Already own all of them. Don't care about MTG. Want to see them turned into unique Heroscape characters.

Astroking112 November 20th, 2017 12:40 AM

I was always surprised that this hadn't happened already. Those are some good miniatures that were literally designed for the same style of board, so it only seemed natural that we'd see some customs for it. I'd imagine that many more users here have access to those figures as well, which would be another bonus.

The unpainted minis are a bit of an eyesore to me (and I lack any painting skills to remedy that), but so long as they're well-designed/balanced units, I don't really care. There can always be some lore-reason to explain any monochromism present, such as the monsters being made of clay or something.

As for Magic: The Gathering lore, I really don't care about it at all. I can't name a single Planeswalker, so I'd be perfectly fine with retheming the Planeswalkers to fit HeroScape better. It'd probably free up some creative liberty for the designers to not force them to follow existing character themes or abilitites, which is never a bad thing in my opinion.

Pumpkin_King November 20th, 2017 01:50 AM

I'd also personally consider the unpainted ones mostly unsuitable for C3V, but would love to see the heroes done as similarly-themed generic fantasy characters.

That being said, I'd probably end up painting a lot of the unpainted figures and using them as my own customs, but you can't expect that in C3V.

Leaf_It November 20th, 2017 07:11 AM

I don't mind if any of the figures are used, regardless of paint. I also don't mind if the Planeswalkers stay Planeswalkers, or become generic fantasy.

Seems that two more voting options would be useful:
- Yes, but only the painted figures.
- Yes, and I don't care whether they are generic or not.

NecroBlade November 20th, 2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroking112 (Post 2169114)
so long as they're well-designed/balanced units, I don't really care. There can always be some lore-reason to explain any monochromism present, such as the monsters being made of clay or something.

I trust C3V to be able to exactly that. The transparent blue figures are easily illusions or water elementals, likewise the transparent red figures are clearly made of fire. Monochromatic green treefolk wouldn't bother me at all, neither would animated porcelain rhino or kyrie statues, or plain purple alien things.

That gives us seven designs from Innistrad (six heroes and a squad), eleven from the base set (five heroes and six squads), and four from Zendikar (three heroes and a squad) without much effort. Fourteen heroes and eight squads is a pretty nice list of new Heroscape figures, and there's plenty more if C3V can get a little creative.

caps November 20th, 2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NecroBlade (Post 2169107)
My take, in short: I like Magic: the Gathering fine, but have zero interest in seeing the license brought to Heroscape proper. If the figures are good enough to use, I'd be much more excited to see what unique Heroscape designs can be made.

This is exactly my feeling. AotP is already compatible enough with Heroscape that if I want to play with the MtG characters, I already have cards that will work.

Lazy Orang November 20th, 2017 11:35 AM

I'd say no, simply because I consider AotP a subset of Heroscape, a bit like Superscape, that is good separately and can, with a little effort, be mixed in. Having them turned into generic Heroscape units could complicate matters. Also, the black, white and green creatures just wouldn't fit - they'd always look unpainted. I'm actually going through repainting them, and they look so much better - games are more fun now they look proper. :)

P_J_Keller November 20th, 2017 12:53 PM

Like many others, I agree that only the painted figures should be used.

Also, I don't care if they are planeswalkers or if they are rethemed

HEROSCAPERMTL November 20th, 2017 03:07 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here but I personally wouldn't add AotP figures to Heroscape. I like the Magic version fine the way it is and would rather have it as a separate game. However, I will admit that the Planeswalkers could be used to make some cool Heroscape customs.