Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Carrion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56761)

Karat March 28th, 2020 08:50 PM

The Book of Carrion

The Book of Carrion

C3G MARVEL WAVE 34
WEB OF VENOM

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...rion_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...rrion_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Amazing Spider-Man set.
Its model number and name are #038 / Carrion.

Character Bio - Carrion is a decayed clone of Professor Miles Warren, also known as the Jackal. Warren had created the clone and left it in a capsule to mature to full development; however Warren then (seemingly) died and the clone was left developing in the capsule with artificially accelerated age. Something went wrong and the clone's body became like a living corpse. Armed with a degenerative touch and a a chemical substance known as "Red Death", Carrion is out to bring Spider-Man to justice as he blames him for the deaths of Miles and Gwen Stacy.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:
  • N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Karat March 28th, 2020 08:50 PM

Re: The Book of Carrion (Design Phase)

NAME = CARRION

SPECIES = CLONE
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = STALKER
PERSONALITY = INSANE

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4

POINTS = 150

LEVITATION
Carrion is considered to have height advantage over any figure without the Flying or Levitation special power whose base is no more than 2 levels above his base. Carrion does not take falling damage and may ignore all effects from terrain tiles he moves onto or occupies.

DENSITY CONTROL
Carrion can move through all figures, Fortress Walls, and obstacles, and is never attacked when leaving an engagement. Carrion cannot be targeted by opponents' non-adjacent figures for any attacks or special powers that require clear sight. Carrion may not be moved by any special power on an opponent's Army Card.

DEGENERATIVE TOUCH
After attacking with Carrion's normal attack, roll one unblockable attack die against the defending figure for each wound it received from that attack. Androids, Constructs, and destructible objects are not affected by Degenerative Touch.

Karat March 28th, 2020 08:59 PM

Comic
Figure Pics (Courtesy of Ronin)

Background

tcglkn March 28th, 2020 09:06 PM

Big fan of this one. Looks good to me. :up:

johnny139 March 28th, 2020 09:27 PM

The only dangling question is, I believe, the class thing - like, whether it's appropriate to have a more general purpose version be a Scientist.

Basic stuff though looks good!

Lord Pyre March 28th, 2020 09:33 PM

I don’t know the character well, but I’m a fan of any design with a Kansas pun in the comic art.

All good reuses. Just depends if we want to use a strict dust of death or would rather not use an auto kill, since many of us aren’t huge fans. We could easily tweak it to just do wounds.

Ronin March 28th, 2020 09:36 PM

Yeah, I think something like Antagonist would suit him a little better. Or you could go for Telepath. He's not a super strong telepath, but he can do it a bit and there's nothing pressing he needs for class.

If we want to do something besides Dust of Death (like I briefly touched on in the LCW), might be cool to do something with his "death touch"; he can disintegrate organic matter by touching it. Maybe a riff on what Judge Mortis does?

Quote:

SOMETHING SOMETHING DEATH TOUCH SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3.
When Carrion attacks with this special attack and at least one skull is rolled, the defending figure immediately receives one unblockable wound before defense dice are rolled. Carrion cannot attack an Android, Construct, or destructible object with this special attack.
Something we had in mind for Carnage (II) (assuming I can con Soundwarp into running Carnage (II)) was him granting a bunch of attack-only activations, so implementing Carrion's mojo as an SA or a modifier to his normal attack would help him out in a Max Carnage build. :2cents:

Karat March 28th, 2020 11:01 PM

I felt like I was forgetting a change we made. Definitely forgot to update my personal record. Was definitely meant to be a Telepath.

I originally gave him this to represent his touch.
Quote:

DEGENERATIVE TOUCH
If a figure receives 1 or more wounds from Carrion's normal attack, roll a combat die for each wound that figure received this turn. For each skull you roll, that figure receives 1 additional wound. Androids and Constructs are not affected by Degenerative Touch.

IAmBatman March 29th, 2020 12:33 AM

That sounds like the type of thing you have to live at least 10 miles away from a school for ....

Ronin March 29th, 2020 04:10 AM

I can dig the Degen Touch, even if all his new neighbors get a letter when he moves to town.

I have photos in my album for this guy, by the by.

Karat March 29th, 2020 10:49 AM

I thought you might, I'll link them :up:

Karat March 29th, 2020 11:06 AM

The only thing that I'm not too fond of with just going with his touch is losing out on the theme of his dust. Maybe a modified DoD is the way to go.

My thought there is just make it a before attacking power and probably swap destruction for wounds. Thoughts?

Lord Pyre March 29th, 2020 11:08 AM

Exactly my thought :up:

Karat March 29th, 2020 11:22 AM

Went ahead and threw in a ballpark cost as it's not really a change.

Ronin March 29th, 2020 11:24 AM

The death touch is more essential Carrion than the dust. Dust is more specific to the original Warren clone.

Yodaking March 29th, 2020 02:47 PM

Agree Scientist seems really strange after reading that bio. Like who taught him years of science education? Who would want to be his lab partner? Can't see him in a Start Zone science lab with Reed, Banner, & Simmons trying to come up with a science solution to a problem. Doesn't sound like Telepath is super accurate either for our synergy purposes, like could he really boost Prof. X's attack? Antagonist seems like a good fit based on the bio, and I could see him in a team of Antogonist formed up to torment a team of heroes.

Karat March 29th, 2020 04:01 PM

Not a fan of Antagonist at all, but open to other suggestions but in lieu of any good suggestions going Telepath here.

MrNobody March 29th, 2020 04:04 PM

Experiment? It's a repeat class and could open up cool synergy in the future.

tcglkn March 29th, 2020 04:07 PM

Antagonist and Experiment are the only two that stood out to me in the Index.

johnny139 March 29th, 2020 04:10 PM

We could toss him in the Stalker pile as well? Seems like a dude with a grudge, at least. Not sure if he really stalks.

Karat March 29th, 2020 09:18 PM

Alright, updated with Degenerative touch as I feel that will be more fun in the long run and updated the Class to Telepath as I'm not really feeling any of the suggestions so far. Any other thoughts/suggestions or are we ready to move to testing?

IAmBatman March 29th, 2020 09:44 PM

I dunno, from the bio kinda seems like he stalks Spidey?

Karat March 29th, 2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2363019)
I dunno, from the bio kinda seems like he stalks Spidey?

Yea, I'm borderline on that one. Could be sold on it with a strong enough argument probably.

Karat March 30th, 2020 12:41 PM

Re: The Book of Carrion (Vote for Initial Playtesting)

After thinking about it some more I went ahead and went Stalker. Makes him prime Star-Lord material though as it makes him mostly unique. Not a lot of Stalkers out there and he's a Clone. Not a ton of either.

With that, I propose we love to Initial Testing

tcglkn March 30th, 2020 12:42 PM

Yea, don't love Stalker but don't hate it or have a better option.

IAmBatman March 30th, 2020 12:43 PM

Coming up with about 135 points on the calculator.

Federally mandated to remind you of the checklists.

Also, yea

Karat March 30th, 2020 12:43 PM

I'm boycotting :p

IAmBatman March 30th, 2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2363272)

It's your right. I'm only mandated to suggest maintaining quality standards. I have no enforcement power. :-P

Ronin March 30th, 2020 12:48 PM

yea

Karat March 30th, 2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2363274)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2363272)

It's your right. I'm only mandated to suggest maintaining quality standards. I have no enforcement power. :-P

Nah, I'll get to them in a bit. Just feel they are mostly redundant currently as we all keep a pretty close watch.

johnny139 March 30th, 2020 12:50 PM

Yea

Karat March 30th, 2020 12:52 PM

Re: The Book of Carrion (Initial Playtesting)

This passes. That was quick. I'll hit this after Oh no, my peas.

Karat March 30th, 2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2363270)
Coming up with about 135 points on the calculator.

Missed your points thing. Weird that we ended up so far apart. We're usually pretty close together. Definitely running some heavies on this one though so that'll help narrow it.

IAmBatman March 30th, 2020 01:00 PM

Base stats are 40 points.

Levitation is discount flying, so I put it at a 2 instead of a 3, but let's say we bump that to 3 because he gets height advantage more easily in the right match ups. That adds 15 points to my estimate.

I gave Density Control a 4 and Degenerative Touch (which is hard to pull off with an attack of 3) a 3.

So that'd be 150 points. Still way below what you have.

Karat March 30th, 2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2363287)

Levitation is discount flying, so I put it at a 2 instead of a 3, but let's say we bump that to 3 because he gets height advantage more easily in the right match ups. That adds 15 points to my estimate.

I gave Density Control a 4 and Degenerative Touch (which is hard to pull off with an attack of 3) a 3.

Yea, I was accounting for the fact that he pretty much always has height.

Edit - Looks like I also ranked DC higher than you.

IAmBatman March 30th, 2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2363289)
Quote:

Not against flyers, though, which is about a third of figures (326). I think a 3 is right for that one. More valuable than flying against non-flyers, and less against flyers.

Karat March 30th, 2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2363291)
Quote:

Quote:

Not against flyers, though, which is about a third of figures (326). I think a 3 is right for that one. More valuable than flying against non-flyers, and less against flyers.

Yea, that makes sense. I think I also had DC at a 5 though which gives me 175.

IAmBatman March 30th, 2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2363293)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That might be a 5 if his base attack was 6. But it's 3! Even if it pairs well with attack boosters, 5 seems way too high.

Karat March 30th, 2020 01:16 PM

COMPETITIVE REVIEW BOARD CHECKLIST
Spoiler Alert!

CONSISTENCY CHECKLIST (SHORT FORM)
Spoiler Alert!

Karat March 30th, 2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2363294)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2363293)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That might be a 5 if his base attack was 6. But it's 3! Even if it pairs well with attack boosters, 5 seems way too high.

For Density Control? Can't be thrown, can't be attacked at range, can move through all figures, and can disengage free of charge?

IAmBatman March 30th, 2020 01:33 PM

Oh, sorry, read that wrong. I thought you were talking about Degenerative Touch. DC I could see as a 4 or a 5, I guess. 5 felt a tad high to me.

Karat March 30th, 2020 01:37 PM

Cool, I'll set him at 175 and we can always come down or go up if it proves necessary.

IAmBatman March 30th, 2020 02:02 PM

:up:

Soundwarp SG-1 March 30th, 2020 03:24 PM

What type of turn is Degenrative touch checking for? Figure turn? Be interesting to see who can combo with that.

Karat March 30th, 2020 03:28 PM

That's part of a write-up before we really separated the two, should definitely be figure turn.

Karat April 3rd, 2020 02:09 AM

C3G INITIAL PLAYTEST FEEDBACK FORM

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT Carrion

Heavy Hitter or Mid-Level Hero Test
- Does it pass, Yes or No? Yes

- What should be the unit's point value? 175?
- Give a brief overview. Seems pretty balanced after these with an overall record here of 5-4-1. His auto-wounding is potent but you have to wound first.
Map: City Park
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
- Does it pass, Yes or No? Maybe

- What should be the unit's point value? 175ish?
- Give a brief overview. This was a blowout with Carrion falling really early and Carnage making a slight comeback but it was too little too late.
Map: Ivy's Greenhouse
Units: Carrion, Carnage, Shriek, Cap, Shredder, Oracle (1,200) Vs Warriors 3, Wolverine (1,200)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test

- What should be the unit's point value? 145-165?
- Give a brief overview. This was still a decent showing for Carrion but you really want to hold him back till you have a good target for him as any concentrated attack will take him out.
Units: Carrion, Jackal, Star-Lord, Robot, Oracle (1,000) Vs Fan 4
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test

- What should be the unit's point value? 155
- Give a brief overview. A much better showing for Carrion here. I think that right now A.I.M. is his best build. They did much better here than I expected them too but the Crew won initiative at the right time and put them down brutally as is their M.O.
Units: Carrion, Jackal, Scientist Supreme, 3xA.I.M. (800) Vs Wrecking Crew
Spoiler Alert!

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY: He was useful but fell pretty easily. I'm thinking a drop to 155 is warranted.

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT: I like him. Definitely think either A.I.M. or Shriek centered armies are best for him, but you don't want to lead with him. He is great for piling on the wounds for hard to wound figures or piling on some finishing wounds. I'm content to move forward here.

Karat April 3rd, 2020 02:22 AM

Re: The Book of Carrion (Vote for Public Playtesting)

I propose we move to Public Playtesting @155

Soundwarp SG-1 April 3rd, 2020 04:44 AM

Re: The Book of Carrion (Vote for Public Playtesting)

Yea