Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Fan Art & Fiction (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Personal Challenge: TGRF (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53286)

TGRF August 20th, 2016 02:57 PM

Personal Challenge: TGRF

In an effort to write more, I've created this personal challenge.
Quote:

Whenever you want, give me a heroscape character (no customs please) and a word. The heroscape character only has to be based on a classic character or part of the storyline (aka, something like Mallidon or 'a soulborg' is okay).
The word is what the story is about. Give me a single word, any word, and it's down to me to figure out a way to incorporate it into a short story with the character.
I want this to be a challenge (maybe not as challenging as 'Drake' and 'floorwax,' but you get the idea). Throw me some curve-balls and I'll see what I can do. Humor is totally accepted. Please do try to make the word generic, meaning not unique to one thing (like 'X-wing' is unique to star wars, but 'spaceship' isn't).
While I will attempt to solve any challenge you give me, I do reserve the right to ignore those I deem impossible (aka, those including 'floorwax'.)

Links to the resulting stories can be found below:
Spoiler Alert!

Pitches which I have not yet written stories for:
Spoiler Alert!

~TGRF.

TGRF August 20th, 2016 02:59 PM

Re: Personal Challenge: TGRF

So this is basically like my own version of the fan fiction challenge, except it's just me. And only I win. And I can ignore a challenge if it's not working for me (heh, that sounds pretty good).

So all joking aside, I want you guys to test my writing ability. If TAF can turn out a story about a literature-loving orc, anything is possible. If you can give me a good challenge relatively soon, I might even be able to turn out a story today or tomorrow.

~TGRF.

TheAverageFan August 20th, 2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend (Post 2106403)
So this is basically like my own version of the fan fiction challenge, except it's just me. And only I win.

Ya don't win if you back down from a good challenge :twisted:

The first thing I could come up with:
Quote:

Character: Venoc Viper.
Word: Rambo.
I couldn't think of anything good, just something amusing :)

Good luck with yer challenges. I should probably also do some writing every so often to avoid being rusty. :ponder:

~TAF

TGRF August 20th, 2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAverageFan (Post 2106406)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend (Post 2106403)
So this is basically like my own version of the fan fiction challenge, except it's just me. And only I win.

Ya don't win if you back down from a good challenge :twisted:

The first thing I could come up with:
Quote:

Character: Venoc Viper.
Word: Rambo.
I couldn't think of anything good, just something amusing :)

~TAF

Hmm... so the only thing I know about Rambo is that it was a movie. And something about a red headband. That's not much to go off of... unless you were to supply some highlights...

Quote:

Good luck with yer challenges. I should probably also do some writing every so often to avoid being rusty. :ponder:
You'll note I made the title easily suitable for anyone else... ;)

~TGRF.

TheAverageFan August 20th, 2016 03:42 PM

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/file...?itok=qBLVZF41

Well, perhaps not the films so much as the idea... Basically the generalized thought of Rambo is a musclebound dude (indeed with a red headband) who mows down a bunch of people with a machine gun. How close that cliche really is to the actual films (especially the first one) is another matter entirely.

Idunno, just a silly thought.

~TAF

TGRF August 20th, 2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAverageFan (Post 2106408)
http://www.ew.com/sites/default/file...?itok=qBLVZF41

Well, perhaps not the films so much as the idea... Basically the generalized thought of Rambo is a musclebound dude (indeed with a red headband) who mows down a bunch of people with a machine gun. How close that cliche really is to the actual films (especially the first one) is another matter entirely.

Idunno, just a silly thought.

~TAF

Hmm, mowing down and the Venocs... something about those two... I'll see what I can do.

~TGRF.

TheAverageFan August 20th, 2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend (Post 2106411)
Hmm, mowing down and the Venocs... something about those two... I'll see what I can do.

~TGRF.

Er, well that depends on who is the Rambo in this situation... :ponder:

~TAF :rofl:

darius23__14 August 21st, 2016 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAverageFan (Post 2106428)
Er, well that depends on who is the Rambo in this situation... :ponder:

~TAF :rofl:

That is AWESOME!!!!

But back on topic: I think some back stories for bio-less figures would be cool! Like Tul-Bak-Ra and the word "outcast". Or Nerak with "heartbroken". Or Migol Ironwill and "nemesis". But that might be too many at once... sorry. But now I'm expecting a story so when will you be posting one?

TheAverageFan August 21st, 2016 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darius23__14 (Post 2106443)
But back on topic: I think some back stories for bio-less figures would be cool! Like Tul-Bak-Ra and the word "outcast". Or Nerak with "heartbroken". Or Migol Ironwill and "nemesis". But that might be too many at once... sorry. But now I'm expecting a story so when will you be posting one?

Weekly if TGRF is to be believed. You could suggest all of those and let him decide which one he'd like to do (and spare him the fate of having to write a story about Venoc-Rambo ;)). There's certainly a lot of good ideas to be found in such suggestions.

~TAF

TGRF August 21st, 2016 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAverageFan (Post 2106446)
Quote:

Originally Posted by darius23__14 (Post 2106443)

Weekly if TGRF is to be believed. You could suggest all of those and let him decide which one he'd like to do (and spare him the fate of having to write a story about Venoc-Rambo ;)). There's certainly a lot of good ideas to be found in such suggestions.

~TAF

Oh the Venoc-Rambo story is already underway. Never fear. ;)

I'm finding that I was a lot more out of 'writing shape' than I thought, so these challenges should be good for me. I'll see if I can't get the Rambo tale out tomorrow, or Monday at the latest.

FYI: Being fan fiction, certain creative liberties might (and probably will) be taken with any characters. (I doubt that means Venocs will take up machine guns, but you never know...)

~TGRF.

William099 August 21st, 2016 01:58 AM

Heirloom and empire.

TGRF August 21st, 2016 07:37 PM

Well the Venoc-Rambo story spluttered to a bit of a halt. I think I was trying to do it too fast, and I was skipping over crucial setting details. The main character resembled a cardboard cutout. The dialogue seemed forced (meaning it probably was).

So rather than trying to fix it today and tomorrow and get it out, I'm going to give myself some time to fix it properly and release it next weekend, at which point I will select another one of the fine prompts here and start working with that.

~TGRF.