Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Lamaclown September 7th, 2010 04:42 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1198265)
Lamaclown,

Please post your choice.

Woo hoo!

Drawing inspiration from one of my favorite customs creators- Atmospro- and his Dark Carnival series of figs, and wanting something with outside the box game mechanics possibilities, I have decided on Samuel Sullivan of Sullivan Brothers Carnival from Heroes. So...

Name: Samuel Sullivan
Genre: Television Heroes
Figure: For now The Question from the Arkham Series of Heroclix
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...heQuestion.jpg
Info on Character: Samuel Sullivan

Direction: I see three main components I would like to see portrayed.
1) Samuel was a master at manipulating people.
2) The more "specials" (mutants) that were around him the more powerful he became.
3) He had the ability of terrakinesis- the power to move earth. I am really looking forward to seeing what interesting mechanics we can come up with for this ability.

Have at it everybody :)

Delph September 7th, 2010 05:34 PM

Tough, because as cool as his power could be, it seems that he would have a glass jaw against against all attacks. Hard to justify a Defense higher than 1 and probably not big on life points either.

I'd probably give him a Special Power at range (5?) that does dice of damage dependent on number of 'heroes' within 5 hexes with special powers. Cap @ 6 ATT?

I'm not all that familiar with the range of his abilities since I tuned out on that show when he showed up, so I'll probably sit out the rest of the discussion.

mac122 September 7th, 2010 06:04 PM

Interesting choice, LC.

Terrakinesis - I'd love to somehow create a power that would let you move or remove terrain pieces, but I think it would be way too powerful within the game mechanics. Here's a thought, Mika Connour can place shadow tiles. What if Sullivan had sinkhole tiles? Choose a figure within X spaces and roll a d20. On Y or above place a sinkhole tile beneath the chosen figure. Non-flying figures must roll for major falling damage. Figures moving off sinkhole spaces must count that movement as 3 spaces.

"Specials" boost - this would seem to depend on how you define "specials". If you are planning to create more Heroes characters, then it could be their species (ala Amberites with Corwin). Short of that, it could be other unique heroes you control or select one or two heroes you control for Samuel to bond with. For each "special" within X spaces, Samuel rolls 1 additional attack and defense die and adds Y to his 20-sided die rolls.

Manipulation - sounds like a d20 "take a turn with" power - a one shot deal each time the power is used, not permanent like Mind Shackle.

I agree with Delph that his base stats should be low.

Edit: Another idea for Terrakinesis could be based on Fire Line. All figures occupying X number of spaces in a straight line from Sullivan are affected. It would be like he's opening a rift in the ground or a shockwave similar to Machinekng's suggestion.

Lamaclown September 7th, 2010 07:17 PM

I think you guys are on the right track with low base stats.

I am bursting with ideas but I will wait until we get some more brainstorming going before posting mine. I really like the thoughts so far.

I will say that I want Samuel to work with existing HS figs and not just heroes from Heroes. ;)

Looking forward to more input on this!

EDIT: I also wanted to encourage others involved with this project to read an article in HS Codex 6. The article is called Measuring and Importing Power. It is about importing already existing characters into HS. It is a good read for just such a project as this.

EDIT: OK, not much input so I guess i will post my thoughts...

I think a combination of mac's "fireline" version and machinekng's first version for Terrakinesis sounds good.
My initial thought, inspired by this custom by Grungebob...
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller...enadilcopy.jpg
...was to have single spaced rock outcroppings to be placed and moved by Terrakinesis. As mac said, however, it would be a balancing act with game mechanics. Here is how I went throught the thought process for it...

Terrakinesis Special Ability
Instead of moving or attacking with Samuel you may choose an opponent's figure with X spaces of Samuel. Roll the d20. If you roll X or higher you may place a single space rock outcropping on the space the figure occupied. Move the chosen figure as many spaces as it was from Samuel. For every three spaces moved the figure receives one wound. Add 1 to the range of Terrakinesis and 1 to the result of the d20 roll for every unique hero you control adjacent to Samuel.

I also thought of just simply copying the Tree bonding and storm of thorns abilities since they were very thematic for Samuel (using rock of course)

For manipulation I thought first of Red Skull's very simple Master Manipulator ability- instead of taking a turn with Samuel you could take a turn with any unique hero you control within clear sight of Samuel. This would give him a very reliable and very useful ability worth drafting his glass jaw for.

His boost ability would of course come into play when using whatever terrakinesis ability is decided upon.

machinekng September 7th, 2010 07:46 PM

Finally, a figure I have ideas on.

Samuel Sullivan
Utgar

Human
Unique Hero
?
?

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 1
Defense 3

Manipulator
After taking a turn with Samuel Sullivan, you may select one unique hero within five clear sight spaces of Samuel Sullivan and roll the 20-sided dice.
If you roll a 17 or higher, you may immediatley take a turn with that hero.

Terrakinesis Special Attack
Range 5 Attack 1+Special
For every friendly unique hero you control within five clear sight spaces of Samuel Sullivan, you may roll one additional attack dice for Terrakinesis Special Attack up to a maxium of 6 attack dice. If you inflict a wound with Terrakinesis Special Attack, you may immediatley move the targteted figure 2 spaces.

-This version of Terrakinesis would represent Samuel sending a shockwave throught the ground.

Another Version:

Terrakinesis
Instead of attacking with Samuel Sullivan, you may select one figure within five clear sight spaces of Samuel Sullivan and roll the 20-sided die.
-If you roll a 1-13, nothing happens
-If you roll a 14-16, inflict one wound on the selected figure and move it up to one space
-If you roll a 17-19, inflict two wounds on the selected figure and move it up to 3 spaces
-If you roll a 20, inflict four wounds on the selected figure and move it up to 5 spaces.
For every unique hero within five spaces of Samuel Sullivan, you may add one to the result of the 20-sided die roll for Terrakinesis for a maximum of +5.

roling a twenty would be an automatic Q10 kill.

I believe Samuel would be best rolled as a ranged hero killer, who works well with other heroes.

EDIT: I like Lamaclown's Master Manipulator Idea. Also drawing inspiration from Red Skull, maybe he could use the power to either take a turn with a hero, or move Y heroes X spaces.

Lamaclown September 8th, 2010 08:34 PM

Just wanted to draw attention to the edit in my post. I posted some of my brainstorming ideas.

Hrockle September 8th, 2010 08:54 PM

I think Terrakinesis should either be dropped, or turned into a special attack.

Keeping it thematic is the key here, and if we can't move a bit of terrain around, then what's the point in having the ability that seems we can? If it's a special attack, than at least we can have it double on certain tiles, like rock.

If we drop Terrakinesis though, we'll need to make his other abilities stronger, or else he's useless and won't be drafted. It seems that he needs to be one of the ultimate strategy unit, or a hidden threat, like Dund. He can be the rock against a contrasting unit's hard place.

dfonse September 9th, 2010 03:51 PM

Terrakinesis special attack range 5 attack 3+

If Samuel Sullivan is on a rock space or adjacent to at least 1 outcropping OR
the target is on rock or adjacent to an outcropping add 2 to Terrakinesis special attack.

Balantai September 10th, 2010 02:19 PM

Okay Lamaclown. Let's see that first draft when you have a moment.

*I didn't add anything to the conversation because I stopped watching Heroes early in Season 3 and never got to know this character. I really like the idea of manipulating sink holes and outcroppings, though.

Lamaclown September 10th, 2010 05:40 PM

OK, here is what I have.
I presented two versions of each ability just because I couldn't decide...

Samuel Sullivan
HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
LEADER
EGOMANIAC
(I am open to suggestionss. This describes him but if their is an official personality that would work I would rather go with that)
VYDAR
(I went back and forth between Vydar and Utgar. I decided on Vydar since the others of the carnival aren't all that evil and I felt they all needed to be under the same general.)

LIFE 5
MOVE 5
RANGE 1
ATTACK 2
DEFENSE 3

MASTER MANIPULATOR
Instead of taking a turn with Samuel Sullivan you may take a turn with any unique hero you control within sight of Samuel.

OR

MANIPULATION
Instead of taking a turn with Samuel Sullivan you may either take a turn with any unique hero you control within sight of Samuel or move any 1 figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Samuel up to 3 spaces. A figure moved with manipulation cannot be moved onto a lava space.

AND

TERRAKINESIS SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 3 or special. Attack 2 or special.
Choose an opponent’s figure within range of Samuel Sullivan. Place 1 single space rock outcropping on any empty space adjacent to the chosen figure. All figures adjacent to the rock outcropping are affected by Terrakinesis. After attack dice have been rolled and wound markers have been placed on affected figure’s cards, move each figure for as many spaces as wounds it received. Add 1 to the range and 1 die to the attack roll for Terrakinesis for each unique hero you control that is adjacent to Samuel to a maximum of 5 range and 4 attack dice for Terrakinesis. Rock outcroppings cannot be placed within 3 spaces of the castle door.

OR

TERRAKINESIS SPECIAL ATTACK
Range Special. Attack 2 or special.
Choose 4 spaces in a straight line from Samuel Sullivan. All figures on those spaces who are in line of sight are affected by Terrakinesis Special Attack. Place a brown Sinkhole Tile under the base of each affected figure. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Affected figures roll defense dice separately. If a figure is not destroyed it must roll for falling damage. If a figure moves on or over a Sinkhole Tile, it must count the tile as 3 spaces for movement purposes. Add 1 to the range of and 1 die to the attack roll of Terrakinesis Special Attack for each unique hero you control adjacent to Samuel for a maximum of 7 range and 4 attack dice.

What are everyone's thoughts on abilities and points?

Delph September 10th, 2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

[=Lamaclown;1201332]OK, here is what I have.
I presented two versions of each ability just because I couldn't decide...
Spoiler Alert!

Personality - Egomaniacal or Ruthless
I agree with you on Vydar
I still think the Defense should be lower, say 2.

I prefer MASTER MANIPULATOR over MANIPULATION

I actually don't care for either Terrakinesis power as is.
I could see the second one as a one-shot power and add an additional Terrakinesis Ranged attack 5, attack variable by # of Unique Heroes within 5 hexes. I'd change "Sinkhole" nomenclature to "Chasm" or "Rift."

machinekng September 11th, 2010 08:49 PM

I like either ability, but I think the base should be 1 attack die. The wiki said he was pretty much powerless unless near another Hero