Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

CJofCourse May 24th, 2016 01:55 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2092099)
Eh I still think it would be cool if he was Large.

I like the idea of Thundarr and company being a pod; it fits the motif of them travelling the world of adventure.

Let's keep this going, else we may need to shelf it:

IMPROVISED ARTILLERY
After moving and before attacking, choose any Destructible Object or enemy Squad figure adjacent to Ookla, the Mok. Destroy the chosen object or figure. If you do, +3 Range until end of turn.

WATER FEAR FIGHTING
Ookla may not enter water with a normal move. When adjacent to water, Ookla's normal attacks affect all adjacent figures.

Mok
Unique Hero
Gladiator
Loyal
Large 6

6 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
6 ATTACK
3 DEFENSE
120 POINTS

This version of Ookla the Mok seems to fit well mechanic and theme wise to me (Assuming we implement some of McHotcakes adjustments). In response to McHotcakes concerns about instantly destroying Squad figures, there are multiple powers that do so and don't completely break the game, I think it should drive his price up quite a bit, but it shouldn't be a concern in my opinion. As for gaining an attack dice when near water, that would be 7 attack dice! I think that Ookla should have 5 attack dice assuming we implement McHotcakes Fear of Water.

As for size in my opinion. I watched a short clip with Ookla and Thundarr and Ookla didn't seem much taller than Thundarr in the clip, but then again old cartoons were very inconsistent with sizes (See spoiler below), maybe we could consider Large 5?

Inconsistent Cartoon Sizes:
Spoiler Alert!

Lazy Orang May 24th, 2016 03:31 PM

I don't normally comment on these threads, but why not reuse the Fear of Water power C3G used on Tigra:

FEAR OF WATER

Before Tigra can move onto a water space, you must first roll one defense die. If you roll a shield, Tigra's movement immediately ends and she cannot attack this turn.

McHotcakes May 24th, 2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2092130)
I don't normally comment on these threads, but why not reuse the Fear of Water power C3G used on Tigra:

FEAR OF WATER

Before Tigra can move onto a water space, you must first roll one defense die. If you roll a shield, Tigra's movement immediately ends and she cannot attack this turn.

I think the idea is that being around water whips Ookla into a frenzy and sends him into a rage attacking anyone he can get his hands on.

Again I'm not sure how he reacts in the show. The only thing I could find about his fear of water was a single sentence on Wikipedia. I have no idea how often it comes up or manifests in the show.

Confred May 24th, 2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2092144)
Again I'm not sure how he reacts in the show. The only thing I could find about his fear of water was a single sentence on Wikipedia. I have no idea how often it comes up or manifests in the show.

What he said.

Quote:

FEAR OF WATER
I'm not a fan of using the combat die for effects. It is cute that it represents hesitation though. If we were to go that route,
Before Tigra can move onto a water space, you must first roll one attack die. If you roll a skull, Tigra's movement immediately ends and she must attack this turn.,
I'd do a mirror of that version.

As far as sizes go, Large fits the character better. In the comic picture used for HoF Thundarr he is way bigger. In the original show, he is only slightly taller and a little bit wider.

WATER FEAR FIGHTING
Before moving onto a water space, Ookla must roll an attack die. If he rolls a skull, the move ends and Ookla must attack. When attacking with Water Fear Fighting, Ookla may choose any or all adjacent enemy figures to attack. Roll each attack separately.

Confred May 25th, 2016 06:25 PM

Cleaned up the language some:

IMPROVISED ARTILLERY
Before attacking, choose one small or medium enemy Squad figure, or one Destructible Object adjacent to Ookla, the Mok, and destroy it. Ookla gets +3 Range.

Is it clear the Squad figure has to be adjacent? Or is it only clear that the DO has to be adjacent?

Confred May 26th, 2016 08:24 PM

OK. The most current powers and wordings are:
IMPROVISED ARTILLERY
Before attacking, choose one small or medium enemy Squad figure, or one Destructible Object adjacent to Ookla, the Mok, and destroy it. Ookla gets +3 Range.

WATER FEAR FIGHTING
Before moving onto a water space, Ookla must roll an attack die. If he rolls a skull, the move ends and Ookla must attack. When attacking with Water Fear Fighting, Ookla may choose any or all adjacent enemy figures to attack. Roll each attack separately.

JC McMinis May 27th, 2016 04:03 AM

How about this insread we really did not need ,the mok part in it.
IMPROVISED ARTILLERY
Before attacking, choose one small or medium enemy Squad figure, or one Destructible Object adjacent to Ookla and destroy it. Ookla gets +3 Range.

I was also thinking on his card where I put name should we go with the full Ookla the Mok or should we just do Ookla seing as the mok part will be in the race section. Was also looking back at the Thundarr card do we really need to have the barbarian in his name plate after all his class says barbarian.

McHotcakes May 27th, 2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC McMinis (Post 2092452)
I was also thinking on his card where I put name should we go with the full Ookla the Mok or should we just do Ookla seing as the mok part will be in the race section.

I agree with this. I think we could go ahead and call him Ookla and just have Mok as his race.

As for the abilities.

IMPROVISED ARTILLERY
Before attacking with Ookla you may choose a small or medium adjacent enemy squad figure, or an adjacent Destructible Object and destroy it. If you do add 3 to Ookla's range this turn.

WATER FEAR FIGHTING
Before moving Ookla onto a water space you must roll an attack die. If you roll a skull then Ookla's move ends and Ookla must attack any and all adjacent (enemy?) figures. Roll each attack separately.

I think he should attack all figures with Water Fear Fighting and not just enemy figures. I feel like there should be a potential negative consequence for Mok failing to get into the water.

Confred May 27th, 2016 05:26 PM

@JC McMinis "the Mok" (and "the Barbarian") are titles and parts of their identity and thus should be kept in place.
I'm OK with removing "the Mok" from the special power line though. @McHotcakes Mechanically, I agree with the hit all, but I'm not sure yet if it fits thematically.
Does anybody know of a good website to watch the series? Not on Hulu or Netflix or even really YouTube.

I'll look into the other wording changes.

"+3 Range" is definitely from AotP modernized phrasing. If we want to stay true to classic, I'll modify the wordings accordingly.
Spoiler Alert!

CJofCourse May 27th, 2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

IMPROVISED ARTILLERY
Before attacking with Ookla you may choose a small or medium adjacent enemy squad figure, or an adjacent Destructible Object and destroy it. If you do add 3 to Ookla's range this turn.
Quote:

WATER FEAR FIGHTING
Before moving Ookla onto a water space you must roll an attack die. If you roll a skull then Ookla's move ends and Ookla must attack any and all adjacent figures. Roll each attack separately.
I think that when he gets near water, he should attack all adjacent figures, this would make it possibly negative and having a fear of water should be a disadvantage more than an advantage in my opinion.

Confred May 27th, 2016 07:25 PM

@CJtheMighty I agree. The source may not agree, but the tension added is value added. To simplify, instead of having essentially two powers crammed under one title (stop move; enable attack), I'm making one the trigger:

WATER FEAR FIGHTING (M)
Before entering water, Ookla must roll an attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.

WATER FEAR FIGHTING (O)
Before entering water, Ookla must roll one attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.
WATER FEAR FIGHTING (S)
Before entering a water space, Ookla must roll one attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.
WATER FEAR FIGHTING (S-A)
Before entering a water space, Ookla must roll an attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.
WATER FEAR FIGHTING (S-AN)
Before entering any water space, Ookla must roll an attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.
WATER FEAR FIGHTING (I)
Before entering a water space, Ookla must immediately roll one attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.

WATER FEAR FIGHTING (W)
When entering a water space, Ookla must roll one attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.
I don't care for "when" because it seems ambiguous as to what space he stops on and I don't want to dedicate line space to explain it when the above options are fine enough at fewer words.

CJofCourse May 27th, 2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2092554)
@CJtheMighty I agree. The source may not agree, but the tension added is value added. To simplify, instead of having essentially two powers crammed under one title (stop move; enable attack), I'm making one the trigger:

WATER FEAR FIGHTING (M)
Before entering water, Ookla must roll an attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.

WATER FEAR FIGHTING (O)
Before entering water, Ookla must roll one attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.
WATER FEAR FIGHTING (S)
Before entering water spaces, Ookla must roll one attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.
WATER FEAR FIGHTING (I)
Before entering water spaces, Ookla must immediately roll one attack die. If he rolls a skull, he must stop moving and attack all figures adjacent to him.

I think M works best, it is simple, easy to read, leaves no loopholes, and perfectly conveys the ruling of the power.

I have an idea for either an addition to Improvised Artillery, Fear of Water, or as a separate power. But first I need to know, is Ookla afraid of direct contact with water? Or does simply being near water frighten him? If the reply to the latter is a no, then...
Spoiler Alert!

The current wording is just to get the main idea across, it is definitely up for debate. This power would represent him creating a makeshift raft to cross the water (Again, I don't watch the cartoon and have no idea if he is fine with boats and rafts or not).