Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   mtl1998's Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=50882)

mtl1998 September 25th, 2014 11:51 PM

mtl1998's Customs

These are a few customs I made a while back. They are just ideas I had that I thought were nifty, so I made customs out of them. WARNING: These customs have no figures in mind for any of them. They are purely ideas. Nothing about them have been tested, so they could very possibly break the game. Along with that, I have no accurate guess for point values, so I just went with what I thought sounded right. So here they are:

Jedediah Jenkins (120 points?)

Vydar
Unique Hero
Species: Human
Class: Inventor
Personality: Creative
Medium 6

Life: 5
Move: 5
Range: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 4

Shotgun Blast Special Attack: Range 5 Attack 3
Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figures are also affected by the Shotgun Blast Special Attack. Jedediah only needs a clear sight shot at the chosen figure. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Jedediah cannot be affected by his own Shotgun Blast Special Attack.

Creative Inventions:
After moving, and before attacking, Jedediah may place a previously unplaced invention on any unoccupied adjacent space.

Now to Jed's inventions...the enhancers:

Attack Enhancer (30 points?)

Vydar
Common Hero
Species: Invention
Class: Enhancer
Personality: Artificial
Small 2

Life: 1
Move: 0
Attack: 0
Defense: 3

Made for Enhancing:
Attack Enhancers may not ever attack or make leaving engagement attacks on any figure. Attack Enhancers can not be moved by any special power on any Army Card or glyph.

Attack Enhancement Aura:
All friendly figures within 4 spaces add 1 to their attack dice. The figure does not have to be within clear sight spaces.

Invention:
Attack Enhancers do not start on the battlefield. They must be placed by an inventor.

Defense Enhancer (30 points?)

Vydar
Common Hero
Small 2

Made for Enhancing:
Defense Enhancers may not ever attack or make leaving engagement attacks on any figure. Defense Enhancers can not be moved by any special power on any Army Card or glyph.

Defense Enhancement Aura:
All friendly figures within 4 spaces add 1 to their defense dice. The figure does not have to be within clear sight spaces.

Invention:
Defense Enhancers do not start on the battlefield. They must be placed by an inventor.

Range Enhancer (30 points?)

Vydar
Common Hero
Small 2

Made for Enhancing:
Range Enhancers may not ever attack or make leaving engagement attacks on any figure. Range Enhancers can not be moved by any special power on any Army Card or glyph.

Range Enhancement Aura:
All friendly figures within 4 spaces with a range of 4 or more may add 2 to their range. The figure does not have to be within clear sight spaces.

Invention:
Range Enhancers do not start on the battlefield. They must be placed by an inventor.

Jedediah's Inventions (90 points?)

Vydar
Unique Squad (of 4)
Class: Protectors

Move: 6
Range: 6
Attack: 2

Enhancer Repair System 13
When an adjacent enhancer receives enough wounds to be destroyed from a normal attack, roll the d20. If you roll a 13 or higher, ignore any wounds.

A thought I once had was to use bottle caps as figures for the enhancers and just proxy the others, but I think these are just ideas in my mind.

Greater Flame Elemental (160 points?)

Utgar
Uncommon Hero
Species: Elemental
Class: Construct
Personality: Reckless

Huge 8
Life: 7
Move: 6
Attack: 5
Defense: 2

Lava Resistant

Negative Element

Raging Fire
Before moving, you must roll the d20. If you roll a 1-4, this Greater Flame Elemental receives 2 wounds. If you roll a 5-9, this Greater Flame may attack one additional time. If you roll a 10-19, this Greater Flame may attack 2 additional times this turn. If you roll a 20, this Greater Flame may attack 3 additional times this turn.

Thoughts, questions, comments, and concerns are all interests of mine, so please share!

Ixe September 26th, 2014 11:07 AM

Re: Mtl1998's Customs

Thank you for sharing your customs. These certainly are interesting ideas, where a hero can make a stationary boost to your team that can be attacked and destroyed. However, I fear that these enhancers are a bit dangerous, and at the very least not very balanced among the different enhancers.

Jedediah himself seems fine (if surprisingly tall for a human) and will usually give you reasonable turns with his shotgun blast on top of dropping enhancers. That restriction of taking turns with him first to get the bonus is certainly limiting, and we really must consider that any cost we associate with the enhancers must also consider Jedidiah as well.

Even with that, something as simple as an attack enhancer is an undeniably powerful effect. The odds of success with attacking scales faster with increased dice than defense, making any bonus to attacks something that should not be looked over. For 150 pts, Jedidiah can nearly match what Taelord does at 180, although the Kyrie Warrior has certain advantages in being able to move. What gets concerning is the fact that these bonuses would stack and, particularly in higher point total games, can really make things run away. This is especially dangerous with ranged figures who can take full advantage of the glyph and almost eliminate the downside of it being stationary.

The defense glyph is in comparison a weaker effect, but it is still powerful. What is perhaps most dangerous about all of these glyphs is the fact that their ability stacks with other auras, such as Raelin's. This can boost defense values to back-breaking numbers and generate a huge advantage of your team, particularly in cases where you can set up a ranged pod.

The ranged enhancer is actually the most dangerous from how it is currently written since it can give melee figures a ranged attack of 3, then 5, and so on. I can only assume that is a mistake, however, and that the intention is for it to function much like the Glyph of Ivor or Laglor and affect units with range of 4 or greater. Then it falls to being a bit weaker, but again still provides a strong range podding strategy.

The final squad seems actually fairly reasonable for its cost. 4 Figure ranged squads are always dangerous (the ability to have height on your attacks is easier for range), and while their Enhancer Repair System is no doubt useful, it's not quite reliable enough to worry about (assuming you don't roll for each adjacent protector).

In summary, I fear that these enhancers will scale too dangerously in match ups with ranged podding strategies. The attack enhancer could certainly be put about on par with the others if it only affect figures with a range value of 1, and I believe that all of them might benefit from being unique instead of common to avoid dangerous stacking. It will probably be too clunky to get to work in lower point total games, but as point totals increase I fear that this could really run away with things as is. Cool idea over all. I hope this is helpful to you.

mtl1998 September 26th, 2014 11:21 PM

Re: Mtl1998's Customs

I fixed the melee being turned to range thing. That was a mistake as I didn't intend it to be that way. Making them unique is an interesting idea. If I would change that, I would give them 5-7 defense with 2-4 life. After thinking about it more and considering your response, keeping them common with the ability to stack would make ranged pods nigh invincible. Keeping them all common, but having the attack and defense enhancers only able to affect ranged 1 units could possibly work. I never plan on playing with any of these, and like I said these are just ideas.

mtl1998 May 30th, 2015 05:37 PM

Re: mtl1998's Customs

I added a new one!! Maybe this one will be less game-breaking than my enhancers. This one actually has a mini. I believe it's a Reaper Miniatures Large Fire Elemental. I have to give @TreePowerz credit for this one. This was all his creation, and I like it a lot. I think it captures fire very well. Strong and capable of great power, yet still unpredictable. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks. :)

Ixe June 1st, 2015 05:13 PM

Re: mtl1998's Customs

Greater Flame Elemental
I really like the feel of fire coming off of this guy. It seems it can grow to a raging inferno or potentially just sputter itself out. It's a little vulnerable to multiple attacks with so low defense despite its enormous life but it can raze a battlefield if you get hot on the d20. Multiple attacks of 5 an order marker will just murder things. It will be good for it counteracting swarming squads and especially deadly if you can aim those fires at an important hero. Very cool custom indeed!