Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of the Hostage Holdout Scenario (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31132)

A3n July 3rd, 2010 08:13 PM

The Book of the Hostage Holdout Scenario

The Book of Hostage Holdout Scenario

Map: Corner High Rise

After a bungled robbery at the Second National Bank, Two-Face and his associates fled to a corner high rise down in the slums. In an attempt to avoid capture, Two-Face’s gang used civilians as protective shields for the escape. Now, holed up in the apartment building with nowhere to go, Two-Face is threatening to kill the civilian hostages if the police surrounding the high rise don’t withdraw immediately.
The police just need to hold the thin blue line until the superheroes arrive. But will they arrive in time?

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-
  • Initial playtest: Griffin
  • Playtest 1&2: Hahma
  • Playtest 3: Hahma

A3n July 3rd, 2010 08:14 PM

Re: Hostage Holdout Scenario - Design Phase

4/7/10 - Thread started.

IAmBatman July 3rd, 2010 08:27 PM

It's unclear ... is there a rule that the Civilians can't be attacked by Player 2 except during Hostage Execution?
Also, when they are attacked, who rolls defense?
Finally, I don't like the turn interruption in the first sentence of Hostage Execution. I think that part needs to be revisited a bit.

Griffin July 3rd, 2010 08:29 PM

I will be playtesting this tonight, so if anyone has any suggestions, make them please. And I plan on playtesting it several times over just to get a good solid understanding.

NecroBlade July 3rd, 2010 11:33 PM

Super reinforcements: less than 650 points or less than or equal to?

IAmBatman July 11th, 2010 12:11 PM

Were you still planning to do an initial playtest for this one, Griff?

Griffin July 11th, 2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1139359)
Were you still planning to do an initial playtest for this one, Griff?

I have half the map built, and I am planning on finishing it tonight when I get home.

IAmBatman July 11th, 2010 11:06 PM

Cool. Just checking up on ya. :-)

Griffin July 12th, 2010 04:02 AM

Well I spent my entire time just fixing the darn thing so that it was playable. The first post is updated, and I will have to play this Tuesday. I really wanted to play it tonight, but it was seriously broken. Player 2 could win every game on the opening move, and there were a ton of other problems. Oh well, I guess that is why we get paid the big bucks (as Hahma would say).

Griffin July 12th, 2010 04:04 AM

Oh btw, excellent looking map A3n! There is only one tiny little problem, but it is an easy fix and I will talk about later. :needrrest:

IAmBatman July 12th, 2010 10:27 AM

Yeah, I knew there were at least some major wording omissions. I'll read over what you posted more thoroughly in a bit here.

IAmBatman July 12th, 2010 10:53 AM

Hyperlinks added to the first post for easier reference to required C3G figures.
Quote:

HOSTAGE SITUATION
Civilians are not controlled by either player, but Player 1 may move them with their Panic special power. Civilians may not be attacked with a normal or special attack, and they may not be destroyed or receive any wounds from any special power. At the beginning of each round, Player 2 may choose one Civilian that is engaged with at least one Unique Hero figure they control, and destroy it.
The bolded part there isn't working. Their panic ability only triggers movement when one of them rolls defense against a normal attack. Since Civvies can't be attacked, they can't use Panic.
A proposed solution would be allowing any Unique Hero to attack up to two Civilians every round (take out the adjacency part, take out the auto destroy part). This would put some more excitement in it as to whether you'd get one or both kills or not instead of making it automatic, and it'd also tempt you to use Two-Face's Heads You Live, Heads You Die power to avoid "Panic" movements.
I also think it might be fun if you added in a gameplay aspect allowing the cops and heroes to be a bit more active in their rescue efforts. I understand why you got rid of the part about them removing civilians from the map (makes victory conditions too confusing), but what about giving them all a scenario-specific "carry" ability, (the cops at least, but Player 1's unique heroes would be cool too) that lets them drag the civvies out of harm's way?