Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gen Con (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Who is the best Gencon Main Event Player? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26567)

lonewolf August 18th, 2009 02:43 PM

Who is the best Gencon Main Event Player?

I decided to play around a little with the results I have from the last 4 years Gencon's and see if I could create a system to rank all of the players that made it to day 2 of the main event. Here is what I came up with.

Scoring.....some challenges here because there used to be only the top 8 make the second day, but there also used to be less people in the event also. You could go a lot of directions with this...here is what I decided.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...mi/Scoring.jpg

With this scoring each person is listed below. With the top 3 being Spider Poison, MattsterTruckRally, & R˙chean. Day 1 wins only includes years when a player advanced to the second day. I would include all day 1 wins, but I have no way to get that information. This list is sorted by points and then day 2 wins to resolve ties. If there is still a tie, day 1 wins is used to resolve. Here are the results...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...ermi/cumul.jpg

Not being completely satisfied with this since many people can't attend Gencon every year, I put in the number of years attended and divided the points by this number to give an average number of points per event attended. My apologies if I didn't get the number of years you participated correct. I think that I have most of them right. This gives a different result, helping people who haven't attended every year and showing how well you did the years that you did attend. Matthias moves up to the third spot with this weighted method reflecting that he has only been in the main event once. This different methodolgy put the top 4 as Mattster, Lonewolf, Matthias, and Spider Poison.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...i/brackets.jpg

killercactus August 18th, 2009 02:51 PM

Re: Who is the best Gencon Main Event Player?

Interesting - nice work lonewolf! The results are about as expected - The top players over the years definitely seem to be spider_poison, MattserTruckRally and yourself.

Of course, we both know why Mattser won it this year. The only two players that beat him last year weren't there!! .....:twisted: ;)

lonewolf August 18th, 2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killercactus (Post 899843)
Interesting - nice work lonewolf! The results are about as expected - The top players over the years definitely seem to be spider_poison, MattserTruckRally and yourself.

Of course, we both know why Mattser won it this year. The only two players that beat him last year weren't there!! .....:twisted: ;)

Exactly!

Don't forget that I am 2-0 against Hendal, the runner up!

Messenger August 18th, 2009 04:42 PM

Nice work Lonewolf!

You may want to consider utilizing a minimum # of years attended requirement in your weighted results. Something like two years, at least, before you can get an accurate reflection of performance. Otherwise, someone may have a 'break-out' year and their score would be high because it's divided by only One.

Just a thought. I'm sure the stats guys will be here soon to enlighten us all (I'm looking at you, dok)

lonewolf August 18th, 2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messenger (Post 900033)
Nice work Lonewolf!

You may want to consider utilizing a minimum # of years attended requirement in your weighted results. Something like two years, at least, before you can get an accurate reflection of performance. Otherwise, someone may have a 'break-out' year and their score would be high because it's divided by only One.

Just a thought. I'm sure the stats guys will be here soon to enlighten us all (I'm looking at you, dok)

I agree with that strategy, but we are already working with such a minimal set of people already that I wanted to be inclusive rather than exclusive.

Hendal August 18th, 2009 09:52 PM

I am simply 5th either way - sounds good for a kid out of Costa RIca! We missed you this year Lonewolf, hope to settle the score next year :)!

R˙chean August 19th, 2009 01:22 AM

Yeah we all wish you could have been there.

Your charts says I have 2 Day 2s; I have been there 3 times now.

lonewolf August 19th, 2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R˙chean (Post 900675)

You charts says I have 2 Day 2s; I have been there 3 times now.

You more so than most so that I would quit calling and texting you for results!!!

lonewolf August 19th, 2009 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R˙chean (Post 900675)

You charts says I have 2 Day 2s; I have been there 3 times now.

This rating system doesn't take in to account that you played a 'fun' army last year instead of being uber competitive like the rest of us.

R˙chean August 19th, 2009 12:14 PM

OK, I looked at this a little closer.

Like I said above I have made DAY TWO 3 out of 4 years. The chart says I have only done it twice.

And more importantly to these rankings is the fact that I do not have 6 DAY TWO wins.

In 2006, there was no consolation match. I only won 1 game that year on DAY TWO.

So I have 5 DAY TWO wins, not 6. That should knock me down a peg or two.

lonewolf August 19th, 2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R˙chean (Post 900978)
OK, I looked at this a little closer.

Like I said above I have made DAY TWO 3 out of 4 years. The chart says I have only done it twice.

And more importantly to these rankings is the fact that I do not have 6 DAY TWO wins.

In 2006, there was no consolation match. I only won 1 game that year on DAY TWO.

So I have 5 DAY TWO wins, not 6. That should knock me down a peg or two.

I was a little fuzzy on 2006 since I wasn't there and there was limited data. I assumed since there we 1-8 placings, that there were consilation matches to get all those places, sounds like I was wrong in that assumption.

Nwojedi August 20th, 2009 12:45 AM

so where are the day 1 stats coming from. I should have more than 8 points there, since I was 5-0 in 06 for day 1 and went 4-1 for day 2 losing to spider in the final. I was 4 -1 this year for day 1 but knocked out in the first round of day 2. I think 07 was 3-1-1 with one tie to spider, which screwed us both out of day 2. And 08 was just an epic fail of 3-2 for day one. I'm ranked below funrun? WTF, I call for Tech support!