Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape News (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The passing of Jim McMcMahon (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=58230)

TGRF November 23rd, 2020 09:25 PM

Re: The passing of Jim McMcMahon

I didn't know Jim in RL, and barely interacted with him on HSers. I think the most I ever talked to him was when I interviewed him for an updated SotM three years ago. Hearing the many recountings of his character though, really makes me wish I had known him more. Or at all, really. It sounds like the world has lost a little more light.

But we're still here, and it's down to us now to carry on and spread everything which made Jim great. I think Jim himself puts it best in his closing thoughts from the SotM:

"Have fun. Every moment you have is a choice. Be sure to choose well. You can choose to be miserable, or you can choose not to. Suffering is optional."

~TGRF.

Dad_Scaper November 23rd, 2020 10:16 PM

That was a very Jim thing to say. Thank you for sharing, TGRF. He asked if I was going to GenCon in 2012. It was a close call, but we weren't going to go. I gave some weak explanation, and said to him that we'd go next year. "That's too bad, because you don't know what will happen next year," he said, more or less. It was the only time he ever said anything even the slightest bit disapproving to me, and of course he was right. I never forgot.

Hahnarama November 25th, 2020 09:37 AM

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekli...ng-jim-mcmahon

TehFattestNinja November 25th, 2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahnarama (Post 2430625)

well said hahn

mrbistro November 30th, 2020 04:57 PM

Jim was a good man. Generous, kind, and sympathetic. I miss him. About a month before him falling ill, I thought about calling him, realizing it had been a while. I really regret not doing so.

I miss you buddy.

Hahma December 10th, 2020 09:59 AM

I just learned of Jim's passing. Very saddened, as he seemed like such a good man. Outside of here, I met him in person once at one of the 2 GenCons I attended. I recognized him when I saw him and introduced myself and chatted for a brief time.

RIP Jim

ChilliDog December 11th, 2020 04:19 PM

I certainly remember him as a staple of this community, I'm very sorry to hear this.

RIP, Jim

stay_golden_PONYBOY December 26th, 2020 07:54 PM

Jim was one cool dude.

We spoke at length one gencon about how funny it was that all these people were gathered to play a game designed for children.

Saddened by the loss of another great guy.

Annerios January 17th, 2021 01:08 AM

Very sorry to read this. RIP, Jim.

Stopped by to look for some 4 player maps and found out about Jim and Rev. :(

I had not played HS in a few years, but we broke out the terrain and played a match in their honor. I even managed to introduce the game to a couple of newbies.

Cleon January 17th, 2021 01:57 AM

Sad to hear he passed. I really didn’t know Jim well but I did meet him a few times, and he was a familiar face as he was friends with a lot of the higher ups from back in the day. I know he was known for his comedy, I’m sure many gaming groups had a lot of laughs because of him. Rest In Peace.

Jexik January 20th, 2021 04:18 PM

I'm saddened by this one too... he was the kind of guy who'd give you the shirt off of his back and thank you for the opportunity to do so. Truly kind and generous.

skyknight February 9th, 2021 05:06 AM

Ran into some pics the other day of he and I hanging out. I miss him...sucks.