Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 January 23rd, 2013 11:57 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

If we can make this work, my wife might even try a game of Scape. Ted Dekker is one of her favorite authors. I'm in for the challenge.

Sounds like we would need to do something like C3G did for Beast Boy. They made a card for Beast Boy and each of his forms.

Balantai January 23rd, 2013 12:13 PM

This is going to be tough for sure. Let's see what ideas everyone can come up with to make this work. I don't see a reason why we have to choose a mainstream character.

Balantai January 23rd, 2013 12:21 PM

Thoughts:

Well since the heroscape battle will essentially be one of his realities, I don't see a need for two separate cards. We would need to choose which reality Thomas is currently in.

In my vision, Thomas starts the game in his weakest form (Thomas Hunter?) and leave the battlefield for a round and come back with your choice of a bonus or perhaps glyph. This would simulate his ability to gain combat skills or the ability to create a laser gun from the future.

mac122 January 23rd, 2013 12:25 PM

I've not read the Circle series books, though my wife has said I would like them. I've got a question, or two.
-Thomas has the chance to heal when moving from one reality to another, that shouldn't be too hard to represent. If he were killed in one reality, would he die in the other?
-When he goes to sleep to shift realities, I imagine he is alone somewhere - unengaged, so to speak?

Edit: you may be right, Balantai, but I'd like to explore the possibilities of a two-card design before we shelve the idea.

Balantai January 23rd, 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1749829)
Edit: you may be right, Balantai, but I'd like to explore the possibilities of a two-card design before we shelve the idea.

That sounds completely reasonable. :D

McHotcakes January 23rd, 2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1749828)
In my vision, Thomas starts the game in his weakest form (Thomas Hunter?) and leave the battlefield for a round and come back with your choice of a bonus or perhaps glyph. This would simulate his ability to gain combat skills or the ability to create a laser gun from the future.

I like this idea. I haven't read the books but it seems that we wouldn't need more than one card because Thomas is the same person in each reality. Having him get a new power or glyph suggests that its the same guy who is just learning more skills.

Lamaclown January 23rd, 2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1749823)
This is going to be tough for sure. Let's see what ideas everyone can come up with to make this work. I don't see a reason why we have to choose a mainstream character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1749829)
I've not read the Circle series books, though my wife has said I would like them. I've got a question, or two.
-Thomas has the chance to heal when moving from one reality to another, that shouldn't be too hard to represent. If he were killed in one reality, would he die in the other?
-When he goes to sleep to shift realities, I imagine he is alone somewhere - unengaged, so to speak?

It has been couple of years since I read the books, but no, if he dies in one reality then he permanently resides in the other. However, there were a couple of instances where he was killed in one reality only to resurrected because of what took place afterwards in the other reality. I would be fine leaving out the resurrection part though and sticking only with healing; it would be less messy and less text.

If we go with two cards instead of one, here are some thoughts for each...
Thomas Hunter
1. Healing Mechanism
2. Starts weak but gains battle effectiveness based on Thomas of Hunter's battle experience
3. Bonus against attacks from unique heroes (in the books, enemies were always underestimating Thomas because they thought he was just an ordinary guy and didn't know he accrued years of battle experience each time he slept)

Thomas of Hunter
1. Healing mechanism
2. Leadership/general type of ability (since that is what he is in that reality)
3. May adapt an based on Thomas Hunter's battle experience

Balantai has a good point that Valhalla would be one of Thomas' realities, however. I would like to go the route of synergy between the two versions of Thomas but can see Balantai's point as well. The thing about one card as Balantai pointed out, is that we would have to choose which Thomas it would be since it wouldn't be possible to represent both Thomas' on one card because of a difference between the the Thomas' in each reality (one is a strong confident leader of his people, the other is a reluctant and unsure hero).

Balantai January 23rd, 2013 12:56 PM

Well, since Heroscape is a battle of all-time, it's feasible that both Thomas' were pulled into the same battle.

How about something like:

Thomas Hunter
???

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2
Points (?)

GAINING EXPERIENCE
Whenever a Thomas the Hunter figure you control destroys a figure, place an experience marker on this card. Add 1 to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Experience Marker on this card.

UNDERESTIMATED
Unique Heroes subtract 1 from their attack when attacking Thomas Hunter.

--------------------------------------------------

Thomas The Hunter
???

Life 6
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 5
Defense 5
Points (?)

NATURAL LEADER
Figures within 6 clear sight spaces of Thomas the Hunter may add 1 to their defense.

-------------------------------------------------------
Is this what you envision? The power and stats are guesses, but is this the idea?

Lamaclown January 23rd, 2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1749836)
Well, since Heroscape is a battle of all-time, it's feasible that both Thomas' were pulled into the same battle.

Now there's a mind bender. :)
I was thinking that only one could be on the battlefield at a time. Like, at the end of a turn you could swap one fig for the other. Of course, it isn't as HS thematic that way.

Perhaps being summoned into a third reality (Valhalla) created a space/time tear that enables both Thomas' to coexist in the same reality (Valhalla) only not at the same time. [/tongue in cheek] :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1749836)
How about something like:

Thomas Hunter
???

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2
Points (?)

GAINING EXPERIENCE
Whenever a Thomas the Hunter figure you control destroys a figure, place an experience marker on this card. Add 1 to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Experience Marker on this card.

UNDERESTIMATED
Unique Heroes subtract 1 from their attack when attacking Thomas Hunter.

--------------------------------------------------

Thomas The Hunter
???

Life 6
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 5
Defense 5
Points (?)

NATURAL LEADER
Figures Soldier/ Warriorswithin 6 clear sight spaces of Thomas the Hunter may add 1 to their defense.

-------------------------------------------------------
Is this what you envision? The power and stats are guesses, but is this the idea?

The stats and experience marker are pretty much what I was envisioning as well.

I have tried thinking of some way for Thomas of Hunter (future Thomas) to be able to, once a game, choose a special ability from a unique hero that Thomas Hunter (present Thomas) defeats. It is tough though since some special abilities are based on the weapons the figure is carrying or related to the species of the figure. I guess it could be something like
Quote:

LEARNING
If Thomas Hunter destroys an opponent's Human Unique Hero, you may take control of that figure's Army Card and place it under this one. You may choose one special ability from the card that is not a special attack and use it for the remainder of the game.
Of course what to do with abilities that trigger after destruction and such and this is totally outside the box for HS so I know it is a long shot. But something like that. Not where future Thomas becomes a better warrior based on present Thomas, but where he gains a skill based on present Thomas. Balantai's glyph idea was a good one for this.

Balantai January 23rd, 2013 02:08 PM

Are we mixing theme too much, here? If Thomas Hunter destroys a figure with Counterstrike, why would Thomas Hunter learn it? I thought the theme was Thomas Hunter learned from the experiences of Thomas the Hunter.

mac122 January 23rd, 2013 02:15 PM

Please don't bend my mind. It's 49 years old now and very fragile. :wtf:

I'm not against creating two separate designs, but I don't know about them existing on the battlefield at the same time. If Thomas was summoned to Valhalla from one reality, he wouldn't be in the other to be summoned, right?

The Beast Boy model would work, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure it would fit with Classic.

What if we go the glyph route using Treasure Glyphs. There are already some official ones which would be helpful. We could create some others that would tie-in thematically with the character.

Quote:

Thomas Hunter
???

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2
Points (?)

UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Treasure Glyph on this card, Unique Heroes roll 1 less attack die against Thomas Hunter.

COMBAT EXPERIENCE
Begin the game with X Treasure Glyphs. When Thomas Hunter destroys an opponent's figure, choose a Treasure Glyph at random and place it power-side up on this Army Card, to a maximum of Y Treasure Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Treasure Glyph on this card.
This would allow Thomas to gain strength and combat "knowledge" with one mechanic. It would still leave room on the card for a Healing power - maybe X marker related?

Lamaclown January 23rd, 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1749880)
Are we mixing theme too much, here? If Thomas Hunter destroys a figure with Counterstrike, why would Thomas Hunter learn it? I thought the theme was Thomas Hunter learned from the experiences of Thomas the Hunter.

I gotta say that you are right about that, Balantai.
The glyph idea is definitely more feasible and simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1749886)
What if we go the glyph route using Treasure Glyphs. There are already some official ones which would be helpful. We could create some others that would tie-in thematically with the character.

Quote:

Thomas Hunter
???

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2
Points (?)

UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Treasure Glyph on this card, Unique Heroes roll 1 less attack die against Thomas Hunter.

COMBAT EXPERIENCE
Begin the game with X Treasure Glyphs. When Thomas Hunter destroys an opponent's figure, choose a Treasure Glyph at random and place it power-side up on this Army Card, to a maximum of Y Treasure Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Treasure Glyph on this card.
This would allow Thomas to gain strength and combat "knowledge" with one mechanic. It would still leave room on the card for a Healing power - maybe X marker related?

That could work. I would like for one of the glyph's to somehow reflect Thomas' growth into a general/warlord. Also, if we go this route, the "civilian" mini would probably be the best one to use.