Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   The Book of Xualtiaca Fire Ants (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=51692)

Just_a_Bill September 29th, 2015 05:53 PM

Re: The Book of Xualtiaca Fire Ants

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xotli (Post 2047769)
Your C3V Rules Team has suggested the following Ruling(s) and Clarification(s) for this unit:

Quote:

Q: Can a Xualtiacan Fire Ant that moved via Swarming attack that turn?
A: Yes.
Note, however, that any Fire Ants that moved normally are already activated and must be chosen during the attack phase. If less than four Fire Ants moved normally, the remaining attacks may come from any Fire Ants you control, including ones moved by Swarming.

The "must be chosen" part seems confusing (actually incorrect) to me, since I'm not forced to attack with all the ants that moved normally. Can I assume this is really just trying to say an ant that moved (only) via Swarming is not considered a "full-fledged mover" for the purpose of having attack priority? Meaning, it does not get to "claim a spot" among the four available attackers at the expense of one that actually moved normally? If so, I'd like to suggest a tweak to the wording that doesn't say every ant that moved "must be chosen" for the attack.
A: Yes. Note, however, that any Fire Ants that moved normally are already activated as potential attackers. If four Fire Ants moved normally, only those four may attack. If fewer than four Fire Ants moved normally, the remaining attacks may come from any Fire Ants you control, including ones moved by Swarming.
Does this capture the intent, @Xotli ?

Xotli October 1st, 2015 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill (Post 2047887)
The "must be chosen" part seems confusing (actually incorrect) to me, since I'm not forced to attack with all the ants that moved normally. Can I assume this is really just trying to say an ant that moved (only) via Swarming is not considered a "full-fledged mover" for the purpose of having attack priority? Meaning, it does not get to "claim a spot" among the four available attackers at the expense of one that actually moved normally? If so, I'd like to suggest a tweak to the wording that doesn't say every ant that moved "must be chosen" for the attack.
A: Yes. Note, however, that any Fire Ants that moved normally are already activated as potential attackers. If four Fire Ants moved normally, only those four may attack. If fewer than four Fire Ants moved normally, the remaining attacks may come from any Fire Ants you control, including ones moved by Swarming.
Does this capture the intent, @Xotli ?

I wouldn't call it incorrect. To me, this is no different from referring to the movement phase but still allowing for the possibility of the figure not actually physically moving. If you don't want to attack with one of the ants that moved, that's fine; you just can't attack with anyone else instead either.

But your rewording seems fine to me.

TheAverageFan October 1st, 2015 11:29 AM

Why would you ever use Swarming to move and attack with an Ant when you could just move that Ant normally though? I don't think it'd prevent something like Engagement Strike. Just kind of seems like a waste of 3 Move.

~TAF, confused

dok October 1st, 2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAverageFan (Post 2048099)
Why would you ever use Swarming to move and attack with an Ant when you could just move that Ant normally though? I don't think it'd prevent something like Engagement Strike. Just kind of seems like a waste of 3 Move.

~TAF, confused

By using swarming to move, and not activating figures using movement, you can choose any ant you control to attack with, instead of being restricted to the ants that moved. That flexibility can be valuable.

You could have a situation where there are many potential targets to attack, but one is higher priority to kill, so you want to be able to attack that one a bunch of times, but move on to attack others if it dies quickly. Or you could be facing goblin cutters and you want to be able to attack with any ant instead of allowing your opponent to scurry away from the active ants.

I'm not saying it would come up all the time, but there are definitely times when I would forgo regular movement to gain activation flexibility when attacking.

TheAverageFan October 1st, 2015 04:11 PM

That makes sense I guess. Sort of a mini Horde Attack.

~TAF, clarified

Airballshooter March 20th, 2019 01:59 PM

can every ant choose what to do? one does the sting and another one attacks normally in the same turn. or do i have to do the special or normal attack with all of them?

superfrog March 20th, 2019 02:02 PM

It's all or nothing. You can attack with 3 Ants, or Sting with all the Ants.

So if you have a crapton of them engaged, stinging is a great idea (and Swarming sets that up well).

Flash_19 March 20th, 2019 02:41 PM

Forgive me asking what might be a silly question:

According to Swarm Sting, you roll the d-20 for each enemy figure adjacent to an ant you control, and you have to roll an 18 or higher - simple enough. But if you have only one ant engaged to a figure, do you need to roll a 17 or an 18 to put a wound on that figure? I'm assuming that because of how the power is written, you would only need a 17 because then you add 1 to make 18. Am I understanding correctly?

Scytale March 20th, 2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_19 (Post 2265761)

According to Swarm Sting, you roll the d-20 for each enemy figure adjacent to an ant you control, and you have to roll an 18 or higher - simple enough. But if you have only one ant engaged to a figure, do you need to roll a 17 or an 18 to put a wound on that figure? I'm assuming that because of how the power is written, you would only need a 17 because then you add 1 to make 18. Am I understanding correctly?

That is correct, you only need a 17, since the sole ant would give you +1.

lefton4ya March 20th, 2019 02:51 PM

Just realizes these are perfect counter to rats - as long as he Rats don't scatter all away.

Also, I assume yes, but does SWARM STING 18 work indefinitely as long as you keep rolling for it (similar to how Frenzy works) or kill all figures, or just one time.

Flash_19 March 20th, 2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 2265762)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_19 (Post 2265761)

That is correct, you only need a 17, since the sole ant would give you +1.

Thanks!

Airballshooter March 20th, 2019 02:53 PM

i thought i roll once for every ant not for every enemy figure