Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Beyonder (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=34744)

Griffin March 7th, 2011 04:50 PM

Re: The Book of Beyonder - VOTE for Final Editing

No worries. Let's just keep it strictly business here though. We shouldn't get too personally attached to these designs.

I am gonna go have some Family Tea Time ;), then I will do some testing on lava with this guy and reread the playtesting results. Hopefully, I can either dismiss or validate my concerns once and for all.

IAmBatman March 7th, 2011 04:51 PM

I appreciate it.

SirGalahad March 7th, 2011 06:47 PM

The only problem we might have with the same "size" designation is that there could be a double-based Medium figure or a single-based Large figure (C3G Hulk) that could be problematic (maybe even exempted).

Mere Pawns doesn't need the "other" in front of "unique" because Beyonder's not a Unique Hero.

IAmBatman March 8th, 2011 08:18 AM

Touche. The "unique" change would nullify the need for the "other" and it'd probably sound better.
I'm going to wait on making any more changes on this guy for now, though, as I'm starting to have my doubts as to whether he's passable as is.
Not sure if I already did this, but I withdraw the proposal to send him to final editing. I'll update the title as well, in a minute.
Out of curiosity, do you guys think something like this would address the lava concerns in a way that makes thematic sense (it's all a big game for this guy and he wants to keep enjoying it forever):

NEVER-ENDING BATTLE
Any figure within clear sight of Beyonder that would be automatically destroyed instead receives four wounds.

Griffin March 8th, 2011 12:00 PM

Re: The Book of Beyonder - Playtesting Phase - on hold

That NEB power is an idea that is much more appropriate to the character than any of the other "fixes" that were suggested earlier in the design. Hidicul is running a lava test for us right now, as I needed to finish up Captain Marvel last night and I have a Mandarin deadline breathing down my neck.... once he is done, I may be able to run a lava test with the new power writeup. I hope that helps.

tcglkn March 8th, 2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1360003)
NEVER-ENDING BATTLE
Any figure within clear sight of Beyonder that would be automatically destroyed instead receives four wounds.

I can go for that! :D

IAmBatman March 8th, 2011 12:31 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm less frustrated with the direction of this guy today. I don't disagree that there were some wonky bits in this design and I apologize for overreacting to criticism yesterday. It was out of line. It's been a stressful few days for me, but I think taking some time away last night was good for me. I'll have to remember to do that from time-to-time.

IAmBatman March 8th, 2011 03:11 PM

OK, the first post has been revamped after chatting with Griff.
With the "switch the figures" the placement rules for double base figures are still in play, so no one should be trying to place large figures on ladders with this. The power doesn't explicitly break the double base placement rules, so I think we're covered.
Do people think we need more tests here, or are we good to move to final editing?

Griffin March 9th, 2011 12:44 PM

This is from Hidicul, and he thinks that Beyonder is just fine... but looking at the amount of life lost compared to the amount he destroyed, I don't think Beyonder was balanced on this map at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hidicul
- Army Test/ Does it pass, Yes or No? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. Border line PASS
Map: Hot Hieghts
Units: Beyonder, Deadpool, and Bob (2810) vs Dr. Doom, 10x Doombots, Jean Grey, Torch, Mr. Fantastic, Thing, She-Hulk, and Invisable Woman (2815)

Spoiler Alert!

Beyonder is a major threat when on a map with Lava, but when using Knockback rules and by picking a army that can tie him down or throw him around, I think that it balances the game out. He is still hard to wound let alone destroy, but he is a Event Hero after all :wink: I think he is good to go as is.

IAmBatman March 9th, 2011 02:30 PM

The only place where lava looked too terribly powerful in this test, to me, was here:
Quote:

Beyonder teleports She-Hulk onto Molten Lava, destroyed.
And I'm not sure how that happened since She-Hulk has 6 life, and should be healing between rounds if she has wounds most of the time ... I'm not sure where her other two wounds came from after reading that test.

tcglkn March 9th, 2011 02:53 PM

He didn't test with the new power. I was on Skype with him last night and asked him him what he thought of our fix and he said he hadn't seen it.

IAmBatman March 9th, 2011 02:55 PM

Ah, that explains it! :-) Well, if that'd only been four wounds instead of an auto destroy, I think the game would've been a bit different, especially if She-Hulk had a chance to heal a couple of those.
I honestly don't think lava is a problem with this new rule in place.