Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

McHotcakes March 30th, 2013 07:02 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1791054)
Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 1791041)
How would double attack mix with whirlwind assault?

Double Attack
When Neo attacks with his normal attack, he may attack with his normal attack one additional time.

I mean if Neo has double attack and he downloads whirlwind assault, does that mean he could attack every figure adjacent to him twice? Or does he get to attack everyone around him and then attack one of them one more time? I'm not saying he shouldn't have both I'm just curious as to how the two abilities would work if he did have both.

SirGalahad March 30th, 2013 09:52 PM

Why not? How thematically cool would that be!

Confred March 30th, 2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1791262)
Why not? How thematically cool would that be!

:up:

Balantai April 1st, 2013 01:07 PM

Neo would be able to attack all figures adjacent to him twice. I kinda like it.

McHotcakes April 1st, 2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1792006)

Alright. As long as everybody is on board.

mac122 April 1st, 2013 01:49 PM

Would the powers stack like that or would Double Attack need to be reworded?

Balantai April 1st, 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1792045)
Would the powers stack like that or would Double Attack need to be reworded?

How do you mean? Could you give an example?

mac122 April 1st, 2013 02:49 PM

Double Attack says the figure can attack twice in a turn. Whirlwind Assault says the figure can attack any or all adjacent figures when making a normal attack. Would Double Attack actually allow you to use Whirlwind Assault and then use it again?

William099 April 6th, 2013 09:30 PM

I noticed Balantai had posted a reworded double attack above that specified normal attack... thus coinciding with the wording for whirlwind assault..

Right here:
Double Attack
When Neo attacks with his normal attack, he may attack with his normal attack one additional time.

mac122 April 8th, 2013 11:21 AM

I like the idea of letting Neo basically have 2 "normal" attack phases, but I'm just not convinced that Double attack would allow Whirlwind Assault twice. Both modify the number of normal attacks a figure can make within an attack phase. Double Attack allows 2 attacks during the attack phase while Whirlwind Assault allows 1-6 attacks during the normal attack phase.

DOUBLE ATTACK

WHIRLWIND ASSAULT
This Figure may attack any or all figures adjacent to it. Roll each attack separately.

If we want to give Neo 2 attack phases, we need something different than Double Attack, IMO. Maybe something like this:
(INSERT NAME)
After taking a turn with Neo, you may take another turn with Neo in which Neo can only attack.

Or maybe he gets a modification of Frenzy that would let him take a second whole turn with a successful d20 roll.

Balantai April 8th, 2013 11:36 AM

I think I'd rather word Double Attack in a way that makes it clear that it doesn't stack with Whirlwind Assault.

mac122 April 8th, 2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795875)
I think I'd rather word Double Attack in a way that makes it clear that it doesn't stack with Whirlwind Assault.

I thought you were for it? :confused:

Balantai April 8th, 2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1795878)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795875)

I thought you were for it? :confused:

I do like it, but I don't like that it's not clear and open to interpretation. Instead of morphing Double Attack into something that is no longer Double Attack, I'd rather just add some additional language. It just feels cleaner that way. Does that make sense?

mac122 April 8th, 2013 12:04 PM

I'm fine with that. What is your suggestion?

Balantai April 8th, 2013 12:08 PM

Double Attack
When this figure attacks with his normal attack, he may attack with his normal attack 1 additional time. When using Double Attack, you may not attack more than 2 times in the same turn.

How does this look?

MegaSilver April 8th, 2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795893)
Double Attack
When this figure attacks with his normal attack, he may attack with his normal attack 1 additional time. When using Double Attack, you may not attack more than 2 times in the same turn.

How does this look?

That is a big enough difference to call it a new power, much like Evar Scarcarver's Double Assault.

Balantai April 8th, 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1795896)
Quote:

Double Attack

How does this look?

That is a big enough difference to call it a new power, much like Evar Scarcarver's Double Assault.

I respectfully disagree. :D

Evar's ability only affects adjacent figures which is a significant change in Double Attack. My above wording does not change Double Attack in any way, but instead just further defines what already happens.

MegaSilver April 8th, 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795898)
Quote:

Quote:

Double Attack

How does this look?

Evar's ability only affects adjacent figures which is a significant change in Double Attack. My above wording does not change Double Attack in any way, but instead just further defines what already happens.

Then there is no need to change the wording.

Balantai April 8th, 2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1795899)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795898)
Quote:

Quote:

Double Attack

How does this look?

Then there is no need to change the wording.

Do you know why we're trying to change it, Mega? :?

We have an issue where Double Attack and Whirlwind Assault could show up on the same card so we're trying to reword Double Attack so that it's clear what you can do on your turn.

MegaSilver April 8th, 2013 12:43 PM

Ahh, I actually have a similar issue that came up on a custom superhero I created. Here was my solution:

(Unit Name) may attack any or all figures adjacent to him, or may attack one figure one additional time. Roll attack dice separately.

Balantai April 8th, 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1795920)
Ahh, I actually have a similar issue that came up on a custom superhero I created. Here was my solution:

(Unit Name) may attack any or all figures adjacent to him, or may attack one figure one additional time. Roll attack dice separately.

Unfortunately, with the new mechanic we've introduced, we cannot combine them into one power. They need to remain separate.

MegaSilver April 8th, 2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795921)
Quote:

Unfortunately, with the new mechanic we've introduced, we cannot combine them into one power. They need to remain separate.

:?

You could rename Whirlwind Assault and mention on the end that you can't use Double Attack if you use it. That would be better.

Balantai April 8th, 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1795933)
Quote:

Quote:

You could rename Whirlwind Assault and mention on the end that you can't use Double Attack if you use it. That would be better.

That might be the best solution. :up: Any other thoughts out there?

Dysole April 8th, 2013 01:03 PM

Another Thought

Isn't Whirlwind Assault a power glyph? Is it too much of an issue to add onto Double Attack "when Neo attacks with Double Attack, he may not use a power on a Power Glyph" or some such wording.

~Dysole, wondering if renaming Whirlwind Assault is better

MegaSilver April 8th, 2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795936)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah it's name has been changed before so it should work.

McHotcakes April 8th, 2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We already made a Power Glyph for Whirlwind assault though. So wouldn't we have to rename and reword Double Attack instead?

Another solution might be to simply add a power somewhere on Neo's card that says he can only use one downloaded ability per attack phase. :reapershrug:

Balantai April 8th, 2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 1795957)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We already made a Power Glyph for Whirlwind assault though. So wouldn't we have to rename and reword Double Attack instead?

Another solution might be to simply add a power somewhere on Neo's card that says he can only use one downloaded ability per attack phase. :reapershrug:

It would also need to go on Thomas Hunter's card. Once we add the Power Glyph, Thomas will have access to both, also.

mac122 April 8th, 2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795960)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It would also need to go on Thomas Hunter's card. Once we add the Power Glyph, Thomas will have access to both, also.

We were discussing the addition of Double Attack to Neo's card, not making it a power glyph, which started the discussion about whether Double Attack would allow him to use WA twice. In this scenario, the caveat about only using 1 power glyph per attack phase would not come into play.

McHotcakes April 8th, 2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1795965)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795960)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We were discussing the addition of Double Attack to Neo's card, not making it a power glyph, which started the discussion about whether Double Attack would allow him to use WA twice. In this scenario, the caveat about only using 1 power glyph per attack phase would not come into play.

Alright then. But we would still have to change the wording on Double Attack if we put it on Neo's card. Just to clarify how exactly it would mix with Whirlwind Assault or any other downloaded ability that could contradict or change how Neo attacks.

Balantai April 8th, 2013 02:00 PM

LOTS OF GUNS
When Neo attacks with his normal attack, he may attack one additional time. When Neo uses Lots Of Guns, he may not use any Power Glyph on his card that would allow him to attack more than two times this turn.

mac122 April 8th, 2013 02:12 PM

With LOTS OF GUNS
Quote:

Neo
Aquilla or Einar

Human
Unique Hero
Champion
Bold
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 7
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

INFORMATION DOWNLOAD
Begin the game with up to 6 Power Glyphs. At the start of the game, before placing Order Markers, choose 1 Power Glyph and place it on this card. Once per game, after revealing a numbered Order Marker on this card, if Neo is unengaged, you may also reveal the "X" Order Marker on this card to place 1 additional Power Glyph on this card.

LOTS OF GUNS
When Neo attacks with his normal attack, he may attack one additional time. When Neo uses Lots Of Guns, he may not use any Power Glyph on his card that would allow him to attack more than two times this turn.

MANIPULATE THE MATRIX
When Neo rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, one shield will block all damage. When Neo rolls defense dice against an adjacent attacking figure, if he rolls at least one shield, the most wounds he may take for this attack is one.

Additional Power Glyph possibilities:
Phantom Walk
Ninjutsu Barrage Special Attack
Freerunner (from the Ezio Auditore design)
-already have Whirlwind Assault to use as Kung Fu

Dysole April 8th, 2013 02:13 PM

Just Noticed...

So did we want Neo to bond with Knights?

~Dysole, trying to figure out how that would affect his point cost

Balantai April 8th, 2013 02:14 PM

I like it, Mac. I like it a lot. He looks really fun to play. Are we ready for cost?

mac122 April 8th, 2013 02:24 PM

Re: Just Noticed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795983)
I like it, Mac. I like it a lot. He looks really fun to play. Are we ready for cost?

After we address Dysole's question, I think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 1795982)

Champion seems to fit Neo - though I'm not sure he would have thought of himself that way. Though in thinking about it, Human Champion Bonding would help squads (including the MacDirks, too) and that doesn't seem to fit Neo's theme as well. What else would be a good Class? Leader? Fighter? Protector?

Balantai April 8th, 2013 02:29 PM

Re: Just Noticed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1795993)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1795983)

After we address Dysole's question, I think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 1795982)

Champion seems to fit Neo - though I'm not sure he would have thought of himself that way. Though in thinking about it, Human Champion Bonding would help squads (including the MacDirks, too) and that doesn't seem to fit Neo's theme as well. What else would be a good Class? Leader? Fighter? Protector?

The One
Hacker
Anomoly

mac122 April 8th, 2013 02:34 PM

Since we're doing Neo while within the Matrix, wouldn't he be a Program?

Balantai April 8th, 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1796006)

Would that be his class or species? :shock:

mac122 April 8th, 2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1796009)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1796006)

Would that be his class or species? :shock:

:duh: I guess that would be his species if we use it. I was thinking that Agent Smith had the class of Program, but it is his Species. Nevermind.

McHotcakes April 8th, 2013 04:45 PM

I'm really liking the new draft.

My two cents on the classifications are

General-Aquilla
Species-Human
Class-Fighter
Personality-Resolute

I really see Neo as being spiritually connected to the M-43 Resistance Fighters, seeing as they have similar back stories and goals. So I see him sharing most of their traits.

JC McMinis April 15th, 2013 01:45 PM

Hey guys sorry I have not been around for a while. I dont currently have internet at home. Until I do I withdraw myself from the rotation. However when I can get to the library to check on things I will pop in and make a comment or two.

Balantai April 16th, 2013 05:53 PM

No worries, McHotcakes. HoSS has been stealing time from this project on us due to the release date right around the corner and all the stress that goes along with it. I anticipate that we'll be moving full speed ahead after May 4th.

Gardevoir July 19th, 2013 11:10 AM

This project hasn't died has it? :(

Balantai July 19th, 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gardevoir (Post 1846437)
This project hasn't died has it? :(

I don't think it's died. It's in a coma, but not dead. HoSS really put a strain on a few of us and now summer vacation has spread among the ranks. Hopefully we'll get this back on its feet soon. :D

Taeblewalker July 19th, 2013 11:35 AM

Agreed. In my neck of the woods, The Gang of Four (Kolakaski, Shermandavies, Chas and myself) are looking to play on a map called Escape from Endor. We're just as stoked about HoSS as anyone. But I'll finish writing up my Blob unit soon.

mac122 July 19th, 2013 12:43 PM

Did we ever finalize Neo? I think we were still hammering out the details - General, Class, Personality, Point Cost...

Quote:

Neo
Aquilla or Einar

Human
Unique Hero
Champion
Bold
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 7
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

INFORMATION DOWNLOAD
Begin the game with up to 6 Power Glyphs. At the start of the game, before placing Order Markers, choose 1 Power Glyph and place it on this card. Once per game, after revealing a numbered Order Marker on this card, if Neo is unengaged, you may also reveal the "X" Order Marker on this card to place 1 additional Power Glyph on this card.

LOTS OF GUNS
When Neo attacks with his normal attack, he may attack one additional time. When Neo uses his Lots Of Guns special power, he may not use any Power Glyph on his card that would allow him to attack more than two times this turn.

MANIPULATE THE MATRIX
When Neo rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, one shield will block all damage. When Neo rolls defense dice against an adjacent attacking figure, if he rolls at least one shield, the most wounds he may take for this attack is one.

Additional Power Glyph possibilities:
Phantom Walk
Ninjutsu Barrage Special Attack
Freerunner (from the Ezio Auditore design)
-already have Whirlwind Assault to use as Kung Fu
I can go along with Aquilla - Neo's story does feel like a good fit with the Mariedians.
I still see him as a Champion.
Conflicted might be an apt Personality
Points...150-ish

Also, are we OK with the 3 additional power glyphs?

Balantai July 19th, 2013 01:43 PM

I like all of your suggestions, but I prefer Conflicted to Champion. This version of Neo is prior to being the all powerful Neo of the later films. His personality should reflect that time period, also.

Dysole July 19th, 2013 02:02 PM

Might've Missed It

Was there a discussion about it being okay that he bonded with knights?

~Dysole, not really sure if that's the best

mac122 July 19th, 2013 02:10 PM

Re: Might've Missed It

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1846492)
I like all of your suggestions, but I prefer Conflicted to Champion. This version of Neo is prior to being the all powerful Neo of the later films. His personality should reflect that time period, also.

Champion would be his class, while Conflicted would be his personality. Did you have something in mind instead of Champion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 1846498)
Was there a discussion about it being okay that he bonded with knights?

~Dysole, not really sure if that's the best

I'm fine with a change as long as the class fits Neo.