Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Confred May 27th, 2015 01:41 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Are you sure you want God Of War I? :D
It's been so long since that came out that III is probably the version people are most familiar with and I like the idea of scooping him up after that battle and plopping him in Valhalla. I read on the wiki that the end boss limits what items he can use.. I wonder if those are the only we should use for the Glyphs hmm..

Edit: Since I Ninja Edited the above,
CLIMB FROM TARTARUS
At the start of each of your turns after Kratos has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, immediately place Kratos on the lowest level space on the edge of the battlefield and remove all wound markers from this card.

Dysole May 27th, 2015 01:51 PM

Quick Thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2023773)
Nemean Cestus
Ancient Artifact Treasure Glyph
PERMANENT GLYPH
Godkiller Special Attack

A figure equipped with this glyph has the following special power.

Godkiller Special Attack - Range 1. Attack 5+Special.
When attacking destructible objects and figures with a Defense value of 7 or higher, add 3 attack dice to this figure’s roll attack dice.

I changed some stuff. The stuff in front of the special is just to give it a name and updated the wording to match Jorhdawn's special and since Siege's card refers to a Defense value we have that. However, I'm not sure if there is an official card that references an opponent's figure's defense value. If so, this is functionally the same copping some wording off of Jorhdawn again.

Quote:

Nemean Cestus
Ancient Artifact Treasure Glyph
PERMANENT GLYPH
Godkiller Special Attack

A figure equipped with this glyph has the following special power.

Godkiller Special Attack - Range 1. Attack 5+Special.
Add 1 to this figure's attack dice for every number above the targeted figure's Defense value, up to a maximum of +3 dice.
Quote:

If he is destroyed and a figure picks up his Glyphs, when he kills that figure, He'll get a new Glyph from By The Gods and then have the opportunity next OM to pick up what that figure had dropped.
Good point. There is a way around it but it just means that only Kratos can have the Glyphs.

Quote:

BY THE GODS
Start the game with 5 Godly Treasure Glyphs. Whenever Kratos destroys an opponent's Unique Hero, place a Godly Treasure Glyph on this card. When Kratos is destroyed, remove all Godly Treasure Glyphs from this card.
~Dysole, offering suggestions

TREX May 27th, 2015 05:55 PM

@Confred , I like Kratos from God of war 3 best, but, with how we adjusted the treasure glyph bit it feels more like god of war 1 with how the gods give him abilities for conquering heroes, in god of war 3 he kills the gods themselves for the items or powers. We have a lot more options with god of war 3 but thematically it doesn't feel right with the first ability. If we want to do a Generic Kratos that could cover all three games, that would be ok, but it would lose a little theme. At that point you have tons of possibilities for TG's. We can keep it how it is, with the exception of his blades of chaos, I will name them back to Blades of Exile(they are the same) The By the Gods ability still can work.
EDIT: Changed it to God of War series, made changes. You guys keep it coming, this stuff is awesome. Kratos Update. I made slight changes, but you guys stuff is solid.

JC McMinis May 27th, 2015 06:43 PM

I like where we are at with his abities. Before we get to deeply into glyphs, mayhap we.shoild decide on his other stats. Here is what I am thinking

Life 6
Move 5
Attack 5
Defense 5

Also what would you guys think about adding a 4th ability, most notably his ability to use his chains to swing across gaps.

Dysole May 27th, 2015 08:24 PM

Vy Not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC McMinis (Post 2023861)
I like where we are at with his abities. Before we get to deeply into glyphs, mayhap we.shoild decide on his other stats. Here is what I am thinking

Life 6
Move 5
Attack 5
Defense 5

Also what would you guys think about adding a 4th ability, most notably his ability to use his chains to swing across gaps.

The stats look fine to me but he's gonna be another costly one. How thematic is chain swinging? Is it going to be like leaving web slinging off a Spiderman card or more akin to leaving off telekinesis from Scarlet Witch?

~Dysole, hoping the analogy is understood

TREX May 27th, 2015 09:44 PM

Stats look fine, but I am concerned about a 17 or higher to climb from tartarus with 6 life and 5 defense. He needs to be strong enough to stay alive against a couple of squad figures but it needs to be a little harder to come back alive. The chain swing is not used that much in comparison to other things that could be put on there. I want to see the roll for the Tartarus climb to increase or the lives to decrease to balance better.

McHotcakes May 27th, 2015 09:59 PM

I agree that 17 is way too low for Climb From Tartarus. I think that someone had suggested 20. Since you would roll for it every turn I think that is reasonable.

For the chain swing I think it could be left out. I've never played GoW but it doesn't seem to me that swinging around like Tarzan is essential to Kratos' character. Kratos is going to be crazy strong as he is, so I don't think he needs the extra power IMO.

TREX May 27th, 2015 11:51 PM

Updated Card. I think the 3 abilities are good. The chain swing is only used a small fraction of gameplay. When he straps on the boots of hermes and different glyphs he will be able to move around a bit more. I upped the Tartarus climb to 20. Marvel's Thanos is a 19 but he is I think like 360 pts. I would prefer Kratos not be in that ballpark of points. I would like him to be in the same ballpark as Percy with his 7 attack on water, and HOSS's Darth Vader cards. Up in the 250 range would be ok. With a roll of a 20 that puts him valued under thanos. I like where we are with his abilities, now we can add a few more treasure glyphs and see where we are on points.Kratos Updated card

McHotcakes May 28th, 2015 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TREX (Post 2023909)

We should probably place a limit on the number of Godly treasure glyphs that can be in play. Right now By The Gods allows Kratos to get new glyphs indefinatley.

So how about
Quote:

BY THE GODS
Start the game with 5? Godly treasure glyphs next to this Army Card. Whenever Kratos destroys an opponent's Unique Hero, place a Godly Treasure Glyph on this card. When Kratos is destroyed, place all Godly Treasure Glyphs on this card on or adjacent to the space Kratos occupied, if possible.
Also
Quote:

CLIMB FROM TARTARUS
At the start of each of your turns after Kratos has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 20 or higher, immediately place Kratos on the lowest level space on the edge of the battlefield and remove all wound markers from this card.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I like that thematically Kratos comes back on the lowest space on the battlefield, but at the same time it just feels a little off to me in a way that I can't quite explain. :confused: I know that isn't very helpful but I thought I'd just put the thought out there.

Dysole May 28th, 2015 02:11 AM

Suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2023931)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TREX (Post 2023909)

We should probably place a limit on the number of Godly treasure glyphs that can be in play. Right now By The Gods allows Kratos to get new glyphs indefinatley.

So how about
Quote:

BY THE GODS
Start the game with 5? Godly treasure glyphs next to this Army Card. Whenever Kratos destroys an opponent's Unique Hero, place a Godly Treasure Glyph on this card. When Kratos is destroyed, place all Godly Treasure Glyphs on this card on or adjacent to the space Kratos occupied, if possible.
Also
Quote:

CLIMB FROM TARTARUS
At the start of each of your turns after Kratos has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 20 or higher, immediately place Kratos on the lowest level space on the edge of the battlefield and remove all wound markers from this card.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I like that thematically Kratos comes back on the lowest space on the battlefield, but at the same time it just feels a little off to me in a way that I can't quite explain. :confused: I know that isn't very helpful but I thought I'd just put the thought out there.

How I'd phrase them. The first one is cribbed from Tagawa Samurai wording.

Quote:

BY THE GODS
For every Unique Hero Kratos destroys, place a Godly Treasure Glyph on this card. A maximum of 5 Godly Treasure Glyphs may be placed on this card.Start the game with 5 Godly Treasure Glyphsnext to this Army Card. Whenever Kratos destroys an opponent's Unique Hero, place a Godly Treasure Glyph on this card. When Kratos is destroyed, place all Godly Treasure Glyphs on this card on or adjacent to the space Kratos occupied, if possible.
Quote:

CLIMB FROM TARTARUS
At the start of each of your turns after Kratos has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 20 or higher, immediately place Kratos on an empty space on the battlefield that is not higher than the base of any other figure on the battlefield. on the lowest level space on the edge of the battlefield and remove all wound markers from this card.
~Dysole, with no idea if "the battlefield" is a defined term in Heroscape

TREX May 28th, 2015 10:57 AM

Updated: Kratos Updated Card.
Battlefield is not a term used on army cards, but on the same sense, if the players don't know what the battlefield is, Kratos may not be the one for them to use.;) I think it looks good. I updated the card, A cap on godly glyphs is a good way to keep him from getting too crazy, but that all depends on how many of them we make. Is it agreed that a 20 on the die roll will be reasonable to get 6 life, 5 defense Kratos back on the "battlefield". I think it looks good. I think we are getting close to finishing his initial stats and abilities. To all, any more issues with what we have so far? If not, we can proceed with making him a handful more glyphs and decide on a point cost. This has been very cool and fun LDing my first figure. Thanks all you guys for letting me in on this shindig. I would say he is probably in the 220-250 pt range, comparing him to figures like Darth Vader From Hoss, and Percy Jackson.

Confred May 28th, 2015 12:02 PM

Lots of Good comments, on my phone so unable to really hone in on the responses.

I was thinking:
LIFE 6
MOVE 6
RANGE 1
ATTACK 4
DEFENSE 3
POINTS 500!

Swing line move I had considered initially, but with two wordy abilities, I think it needs to be cut and that's OK. Increasing Move to 6 kind of covers his movement versatility.
Edit: Also, the Ancient Artifact Boots Of Hermes will cover that kind of power

So how come the other stats so low?
Multiple attacks of 4 is so nasty. His best defense it's a strong offense. And having him initially low makes upgrading all the more awesome. It makes the Nemean Cestus that much cooler because it hits harder than the base 4 but it also make us pause to wonder if we should actually first get the Golden Fleece or some other defensive item.

Kratos is a one man army. These Ancient Treasures that he acquires will be Godly indeed. I've been playing with the notion of having him at 500 points. Fully upgraded he'll be perhaps worth more than that, but with lowered stats, having the Climb From Tartarus required roll lowered not only makes the power worthy of taking up card space, it makes the Point cost seem more initially worth it. With that idea, the player continues his game until the round is over where figures are counted for win conditions and the player loses for good because he failed to roll and Kratos was the only figure he ever had. The roll could even perhaps be lowered to 15.

In the Mythologies, it's iconic having people find or be given Ancient Artifacts of power. I think anybody should be able to use them and having Kratos need to hunt down the looters is both thematic and fun. I think Ancient Artifacts should suffice and inventing a new treasure type of Godly Artifacts is unnecessary without further argument.

I've been thinking his Species should perhaps be Spartan. Because that's what he is Spartan Warrior. He's not the son of any god I don't think.