Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Mystique (II) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=49379)

Viegon September 25th, 2013 06:34 PM

The Book of Mystique (II)

The Book of Mystique (II)

C3G MARVEL PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 12
DEATH AND DECEPTION

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...ueII_comic.png

Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...queII_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Giant Size X-Men set.
Its model number and name are #035 / Mystique.

Character Bio - Throughout most of her history, Mystique has been a supervillain, founding her own Brotherhood of Mutants and assassinating several important people involved in mutant affairs. Mystique herself is a mutant, a shapeshifter whose natural appearance includes blue skin and yellow eyes. At one point, she mentions that she is over 100 years old. Mystique is the mother of the villain Graydon Creed, the X-Men hero Nightcrawler, and adoptive mother of the heroine Rogue. She is forced to abandon Nightcrawler, but raises Rogue for a number of years, and the two women have mixed feelings towards one another. (copied from Wikipedia)

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: Can I activate a Mutant Sidekick after revealing an Order Marker on Mystique and using Outcast Assault if I roll a 1-7? It says "nothing happens".
  • A: No, it doesn't matter what the result of the roll was, simply making the roll means you are "using" Outcast Assault and therefore cannot activate any additional figures that turn.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:_________________________________________________________________

-Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses-

Immunities
  • N/A
Benefits
  • N/A
Weaknesses_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Viegon September 25th, 2013 06:34 PM

Re: The Book of Mystique (II) (Design Phase)

NAME = MYSTIQUE
SECRET IDENTITY = RAVEN DARKHÖLME

SPECIES = MUTANT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = OUTCAST
PERSONALITY = DECEPTIVE

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = 200

IMPERSONATE
Before placing Order Markers for each round, you may choose an opponent’s medium Unique Hero on the battlefield. While the chosen Hero is on the battlefield, Mystique cannot be attacked by, targeted or chosen for special powers by, or take any leaving engagement attacks from any figure in the chosen Hero’s army except for the chosen Hero.

OUTCAST ASSAULT
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and before taking a turn with Mystique, if you did not choose a hero for Impersonate this round, you may roll the 20-sided die.
  • If you roll 1-7, nothing happens;
  • If you roll 8-18, you may immediately take a turn with one other Unique Outcast Hero you control; or
  • If you roll 19 or higher, you may immediately take a turn with up to two other Unique Outcast Heroes you control.
Any figures taking a turn with Outcast Assault must be within 8 clear sight spaces of Mystique before moving. After using Outcast Assault, you may not take any additional turns with other figures you control.

Spoiler Alert!

Viegon September 25th, 2013 06:35 PM

Possible Mini Backgrounds
Spoiler Alert!

Possible Comic Art

Alright, so what we’ve got in the SP is the design that was voted on, but during the vote some changes were discussed in the Public Design Post:
1) There was a general agreement that Mystique’s Life, Attack, and Defense numbers should be moved up to 5. Range was also suggested, but I believe this design works better as melee; my reasons are mostly summed-up in the second paragraph HERE. Any additional thoughts here?
2) Bats voiced that the power name “Shapeshift” was too close to Super-Ape’s (Igor) “Shapeshifting”. The only alternate suggestion made in the Public Design Post was “Shapeshifting Impersonation”, to make it similar to Chameleon’s “Impersonate”, which has a very similar mechanic. Any other suggestions?
3) Multiple members in the Public Design Post felt the rolls for Outcast Assault were too high, which I agreed with. My current preference here is to change the rolls to 1-7 (nothing happens), 8-17 (1 Outcast), 18+ (2 Outcasts). What this achieves is it makes her a much more consistent leader, almost always activating 1 Outcast, with the potential for none or 2. Thoughts? Remember, Mystique is intended to rely on Destiny, who adds 3 to all her rolls.
4) It was agreed that this Mystique’s cost should be aimed higher than the originals, my preference is for the 185-215 range, and preferably being a 5-cost so she rounds out Destiny’s points. Assuming some or all of the above changes are made, her cost will most definitely come up.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism?

On another note, I’ll be leaving on vacation on the 28th for two weeks. While I’ll have internet access and time to check in, I’ll be on the road most of the 28th and my overall time will be somewhat limited.

Smithy Winfred September 25th, 2013 06:43 PM

I could see the roll dropped one or maybe two, but no more than that. If you have a 7+ activation, add +3 from destiny and you have only a 4+ which I think is a tad overpowered, especially if you get three turns on a 15+.

fret_gurglo September 25th, 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viegon (Post 1870454)
Alright, so what we’ve got in the SP is the design that was voted on, but during the vote some changes were discussed in the Public Design Post:
1) There was a general agreement that Mystique’s Life, Attack, and Defense numbers should be moved up to 5. Range was also suggested, but I believe this design works better as melee; my reasons are mostly summed-up in the second paragraph HERE. Any additional thoughts here?

At least Life of 5 to match the original. I do think increasing Attack and Defend make sense. It's either that or give her Master Martial Artist or equivalent.

Quote:

2) Bats voiced that the power name “Shapeshift” was too close to Super-Ape’s (Igor) “Shapeshifting”. The only alternate suggestion made in the Public Design Post was “Shapeshifting Impersonation”, to make it similar to Chameleon’s “Impersonate”, which has a very similar mechanic. Any other suggestions?

How about copying Chameleon's "Impersonate" completely and then giving Mystique a short third power that allows her to Impersonate a Small or Large figure as while.
Quote:

3) Multiple members in the Public Design Post felt the rolls for Outcast Assault were too high, which I agreed with. My current preference here is to change the rolls to 1-7 (nothing happens), 8-17 (1 Outcast), 18+ (2 Outcasts). What this achieves is it makes her a much more consistent leader, almost always activating 1 Outcast, with the potential for none or 2. Thoughts? Remember, Mystique is intended to rely on Destiny, who adds 3 to all her rolls.

The numbers as they stand means she has less then 50% chance to ever command a second Outcast. With this being her leading power, it makes it difficult to draft her. However with Destiny it is not too bad. I do believe a small decrease to this is needed. Maybe 1-9 (nothing), 10-17 (1 outcast) and 18+ (2 outcasts).
Quote:

4) It was agreed that this Mystique’s cost should be aimed higher than the originals, my preference is for the 185-215 range, and preferably being a 5-cost so she rounds out Destiny’s points. Assuming some or all of the above changes are made, her cost will most definitely come up.

I like the idea of having a higher cost Mystique.

Viegon September 25th, 2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy Winfred (Post 1870467)
I could see the roll dropped one or maybe two, but no more than that. If you have a 7+ activation, add +3 from destiny and you have only a 4+ which I think is a tad overpowered, especially if you get three turns on a 15+.

But one additional activation isn't overly strong. Xavier gives you 2 other Mutant activations automatically, and Mastermind gives you an additional Mutant activation automatically. Mystique, on the other hand, is limited to Outcasts, and will only give you an additional activation most of the time. Compare her to Mister Fantastic, even with Destiny boosting it to a 5+ for 1 outcast, her "nothing happens" roll is still higher then Mr. Fantastic's, and Mr. Fantastic can get up to 3 additional activates with stronger units.

The big thing with Mystique is the potential 2 activations in addition to hers, that's the roll that needs to be kept in check in my opinion, the one additional activation can be balanced easily at any roll (and the lower and more consistent, the better). Remember, I'm fine with her cost creeping as high as 215.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fret_gurglo (Post 1870477)
At least Life of 5 to match the original. I do think increasing Attack and Defend make sense. It's either that or give her Master Martial Artist or equivalent.

As was discussed in the Public Design Post, I'd like to keep Mystique as a 2-power card (which Bats and others agreed with).

Quote:

Originally Posted by fret_gurglo (Post 1870477)
How about copying Chameleon's "Impersonate" completely and then giving Mystique a short third power that allows her to Impersonate a Small or Large figure as while.

Personally, I don't see how that's any better. Either way, you're "using up" a power name, and with your suggestion you're just adding more wording and complexity, plus the potential for confusing players. I'd much rather sacrifice theme and go with just Impersonate that go with Impersonate and an additional power like that (though I still don't see the problem with making it just one new power).

Spidey'tilIDie September 25th, 2013 09:23 PM

Her name is Darkholme, not Darhholm.

SirGalahad September 25th, 2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie (Post 1870498)
Her name is Darkholme, not Darhholm.

Don't forget the umlaut. Darkhölme

Flame Gryphon September 25th, 2013 11:23 PM

Put me down as supporting melee, upped stats (Life, Attack, and Defense) and a slight lowering of the roll. The ability is already weaker than Mr. Fantastic's with lowered amount of Heroes that can be activated using it, and unless it was lowered to 7 (with Destiny) the roll wouldn't be as easy as Mr. Fantastic's. Plus, since you're okay with her being up to 215 and the general consensus is that she needs to be more expensive than the other Mystique... :shrug: Plus, that's ignoring Professor X, who is 220 and gets two free activations with any Mutant every turn, without having the Outcast restriction.

A3n September 26th, 2013 02:40 AM

Why does she have a leadership type power?

I'm not really getting the need for this power set on her as an version 2.0. :shrug:

Lazy Orang September 26th, 2013 08:06 AM

That seems to be the whole point of having a Mystique v2, A3n, and the reason people voted for her - seems cool to me. :)

Ronin September 26th, 2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 1870539)
Why does she have a leadership type power?

I'm not really getting the need for this power set on her as an version 2.0. :shrug:

Mystique has organized her own Brotherhood of Evil Mutants on more than one occasion, and led the team when they were Freedom Force. Mystique plays manipulator/leader from time to time (Messiah Complex also comes to mind), usually acting on some warning or prophecy from Destiny (so heavier Destiny synergy makes sense), which makes this a suitable direction for a Mystique 2.0, I think.