Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Heroscape Strategy Articles (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Strategies vs Dwarves (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=32527)

The North Wind September 22nd, 2010 04:24 PM

Strategies vs Dwarves

I've only had the horror of playing against these guys a couple of times but they've always been tough for me. They can have 6 movement, can bond, and can have 5 atk vs the big guys. Somehow i'm always getting my butt kicked every time. Any ideas on some ani-dwarf?

Ecthelion September 22nd, 2010 04:29 PM

Re: Strategies vs Dwarves

Small & Medium.

Jdet September 22nd, 2010 04:38 PM

Use Braxas and Zelrig, also, use a lot of range.

krysto2002 September 22nd, 2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North Wind (Post 1211882)
I've only had the horror of playing against these guys a couple of times but they've always been tough for me. They can have 6 movement, can bond, and can have 5 atk vs the big guys. Somehow i'm always getting my butt kicked every time. Any ideas on some ani-dwarf?

True the dwarves are a common counter to the big problems, such as Braxas (3 kills per turn, but they will eventually maul her), Zelrig (extra defense means his nuke isn't as strong) and don't get me started on Q9. So the obvious answer is, at 70 pts. per squad, they can effectively be countered by a well placed ranged squad (try 4th mass, 10th reg, stingers etc.) or if you want more fun, try a cheaper melee squad. In the average 500 point game, your opponent gets roughly 4 squads of these guys with their hero (Mogrimm, Darrak, or commonly Migol) so that means 16 squad-mates.

If you counter with a cheap melee squad (goblins, orcs, legos, sacred band, I can go on for a while) at roughly 40/50 points apiece, or even a higher end squad @ 60/70 apiece you get the same or more, and against other medium figures, just like knights, they will take a beating.

You can easily max out your army at 6 squads of 4 or 8 squads of 3, more/less considering heroes, so if your opponent is playing flat out dwarves, a hero or two with them (Raelin is a possibility), you can match them and eventually, with the right squad (this must suit YOUR preferences) you will steamroll them. Find a squad you like, build around it (start with synergy such as Raelin or like heroes) and try it out.

The North Wind September 22nd, 2010 04:52 PM

Mhm, and i guess it would be obvious to try and stay away from Q9

Axegrinders + Migol = 1 very unhappy major

flameslayer93 September 22nd, 2010 04:54 PM

I think that Warriors of Ashra, Emmiroon, and Kyntella should do the trick;)

The North Wind September 22nd, 2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krysto2002 (Post 1211924)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The North Wind (Post 1211882)

True the dwarves are a common counter to the big problems, such as Braxas (3 kills per turn, but they will eventually maul her), Zelrig (extra defense means his nuke isn't as strong) and don't get me started on Q9. So the obvious answer is, at 70 pts. per squad, they can effectively be countered by a well placed ranged squad (try 4th mass, 10th reg, stingers etc.) or if you want more fun, try a cheaper melee squad. In the average 500 point game, your opponent gets roughly 4 squads of these guys with their hero (Mogrimm, Darrak, or commonly Migol) so that means 16 squad-mates.

If you counter with a cheap melee squad (goblins, orcs, legos, sacred band, I can go on for a while) at roughly 40/50 points apiece, or even a higher end squad @ 60/70 apiece you get the same or more, and against other medium figures, just like knights, they will take a beating.

You can easily max out your army at 6 squads of 4 or 8 squads of 3, more/less considering heroes, so if your opponent is playing flat out dwarves, a hero or two with them (Raelin is a possibility), you can match them and eventually, with the right squad (this must suit YOUR preferences) you will steamroll them. Find a squad you like, build around it (start with synergy such as Raelin or like heroes) and try it out.

I've recently started looking at getting together a viper army since my local store has lots of wave 1. I bet throwing x5 of Venoc at them with the warlord would be pretty entertaining.

krysto2002 September 22nd, 2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdet (Post 1211901)
Use Braxas and Zelrig, also, use a lot of range.

The problem with those two: Braxas must come within 4 CLEAR sight spaces, so unless there's a convenient cliff, the dwarves WILL catch up fast, even if you hit-and-run with her. At 3 def. (4 w/ height, 5 w/ Raelin, 6 w/ both) she will quickly fall to the 4 attacks of 4 per turn. At 210, she needs to kill off 12 dwarves (or hero equivalent) which will take her 4 consecutive turns of NON-STOP spraying with no bad rolls. The dwarves usually kill her much faster.

Zelrig is a little better off at 7 range, but if the path is clear a dwarf can STILL reach him in 1 turn.

krysto2002 September 22nd, 2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

I've recently started looking at getting together a viper army since my local store has lots of wave 1. I bet throwing x5 of Venoc at them with the warlord would be pretty entertaining.
You bet, but you'll need to spend a bit. With the warlord (TAKE HIM!) you can get in a max of 7 squads (280 pts) leaving 220 points to spend freely on heroes, 120 on mittens (the VW) leaves 100 points, 80 on raelin and you can take Marcu too.

If 7 squads of cannon fodder is too much, take out 1-2 for an extra 40-80 points.
if you're feeling rich, try the Armocs, but we all know what they cost...

Scapemage September 22nd, 2010 05:05 PM

For 500 point games, when using Dwarves I always run Axegrinders x3, Mogrimm, and Migol for an even 500. But I do agree, there is some flaws. Try units like Krav Maga Agents, that can stay away from the other figures that may accompany the Dwarves whilst pelting them with ranged.

Bolo September 24th, 2010 04:27 PM

Orcs + Grimnak are good also, because they love the taste of dwarves.

Heavies X 4 280
Grimnak 120
Nerak 50
Me-Burq-Sa 50

Lead with Orcs and Grimnak in a flanking manuvre to keep Grimnak from being swarmed. Pick off Heros or straglers with MBS.

BurnyFlame September 24th, 2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapemage921 (Post 1211945)
For 500 point games, when using Dwarves I always run Axegrinders x3, Mogrimm, and Migol and Darrak Ambershard for an even 500. But I do agree, there is some flaws. Try units like Krav Maga Agents, that can stay away from the other figures that may accompany the Dwarves whilst pelting them with ranged.

You were forgetting the best dwarf to add up to 500 points. Also, the best counter to dwarves are:
Samurai!