Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 January 17th, 2013 03:06 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Points, shmoints! Just pay what you can afford. :)

Confred January 17th, 2013 03:20 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Quote:

Inspiring Presence
Figures that begin their movement within clear sight of Alsan may add 2 to their move.
1) "friendly figures" / "figures you control"

Quote:

The Deep Magic
If a Unique Hero you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Aslan would receive enough wounds to be destroyed, you may ignore those wounds and destroy Aslan instead.
2) Aslan should be able to save scrubs if he wanted to. That's just how selfless he is:Unique Hero -> figure
3) Aslan would sacrifice himself for a friend, ally, or even an enemy in supreme gesture: you control -> no limit
"If a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Aslan would receive enough wounds..."
4) Should he be able to do this more than once?

Quote:

Magic Deeper Still
At the start of each round after Aslan has been destroyed by The Deep Magic, before Order Markers are placed, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, remove all wound markers from this Army Card and place Aslan on the battlefield adjacent to any figure you control.
I can agree with this
But, ;),
6) Does he have to sacrifice himself in order to come back? "But I thought you were dead. I killed you myself?" -"There is deeper magic in me still, your evil clogs your view" etc.
I can see the restriction for pointing purposes.
5) Should "each" read "any" to match HS's "any or all" jargon?
7) "friendly figure"?: I think it's cool in stories when a character we think dies shows up in the hands of allies.

Friendly vs You Control: I see Aslan more as a universal helper vs a keep it in the family kind of guy.

Balantai January 17th, 2013 03:27 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Those are some fantastic points, Confred. I'll make the changes for your first four points and leave the last ability for discussion.
----------------------------------
I don't mind removing the restriction that Aslan sacraficed himself to return to the battlefield.

Confred January 17th, 2013 04:33 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Functionally, I like the idea of being able to save enemy figures. In a 1v1v1/etc match, it could be a juicy bargaining chip.
Thematically, would Aslan play that way? 'unno

mac122 January 17th, 2013 04:48 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1746622)
Those are some fantastic points, Confred. I'll make the changes for your first four points and leave the last ability for discussion.
----------------------------------
I don't mind removing the restriction that Aslan sacraficed himself to return to the battlefield.

:word: with one exception. I'm not sure it's thematic for Aslan to sacrifice himself for an opponent's figure unless that figure comes over to Aslan's side. I guess as long as it's not required, we can leave the "friendly figure" restriction out.

Balantai January 17th, 2013 05:12 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
I have removed the restriction on Alsan coming back to life.

Going back to the theme of "friendly figure", if sacraficing Aslan to save an enemy would benefit the greater good (you winning the battle), I would assume he would do it.

Balantai January 17th, 2013 05:13 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Latest version:

Aslan
Jandar

Lion
Unique Hero
Lord
Merciful
Large 5 (?)

Life 6
Move 7
Range 1
Attack 5
Defense 4
Points (?)

Inspiring Presence
Friendly figures that begin their movement within clear sight of Alsan may add 2 to their move.

The Deep Magic
If a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Aslan would receive enough wounds to be destroyed, you may ignore those wounds and destroy Aslan instead. Aslan may only use The Deep Magic once per game.

Magic Deeper Still
At the start of any round after Aslan has been destroyed, before Order Markers are placed, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, remove all wound markers from this Army Card and place Aslan on the battlefield adjacent to any friendly figure.

------------------------------------------------
Is Large 6 correct? Is he really that tall?

mac122 January 17th, 2013 05:26 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCF0898.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCF0899.jpgHere are the size comparison pics I posted an eon ago. Large 5? :shrug:

Balantai January 17th, 2013 05:38 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
In most of these cases, though, these figures are the closest we can come to the characters we are creating. Essentially, they are just very close proxies. I'm not saying we should go this way, but thematically, what would be his size?
--------------------------------------
I'm assuming it's a picture of the miniature you posted. I'm at work and cannot see the pic. :)

SirGalahad January 18th, 2013 08:42 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Large 5.
He wouldn't be able to use ladders, but with 7 Move, that should be less of an issue.

McHotcakes January 18th, 2013 01:51 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Oh good this thread is alive again :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1746673)
The Deep Magic
If a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Aslan would receive enough wounds to be destroyed, you may ignore those wounds and destroy Aslan instead. Aslan may only use The Deep Magic once per game.

Would this ability only work if the figure were to die of wounds alone? I think Aslan would sacrifice himself to save someone from a special ability, say a Chomp or Stare of Stone, and not just be limiting to saving figures from wounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1746673)
Magic Deeper Still
At the start of any round after Aslan has been destroyed, before Order Markers are placed, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, remove all wound markers from this Army Card and place Aslan on the battlefield adjacent to any friendly figure.

I think Aslan should only be able to use this power if he dies using The Deep Magic. I believe in the book he was only able to come back to life because he used the Deep Magic to sacrifice himself to save another. I don't think it would work thematically if he could just come back whenever he wanted, but I don't know...:shrug:

mac122 January 18th, 2013 02:50 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 1747104)
Oh good this thread is alive again :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1746673)
The Deep Magic
If a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Aslan would receive enough wounds to be destroyed, you may ignore those wounds and destroy Aslan instead. Aslan may only use The Deep Magic once per game.

Would this ability only work if the figure were to die of wounds alone? I think Aslan would sacrifice himself to save someone from a special ability, say a Chomp or Stare of Stone, and not just be limiting to saving figures from wounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1746673)
Magic Deeper Still
At the start of any round after Aslan has been destroyed, before Order Markers are placed, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, remove all wound markers from this Army Card and place Aslan on the battlefield adjacent to any friendly figure.

I think Aslan should only be able to use this power if he dies using The Deep Magic. I believe in the book he was only able to come back to life because he used the Deep Magic to sacrifice himself to save another. I don't think it would work thematically if he could just come back whenever he wanted, but I don't know...:shrug:

I guess the Deep Magic could be reworded to allow Aslan to sacrifice himself when a figure is destroyed by any means. Not sure if that would cause any issues with other special powers.

I see your point about Magic Deeper Still, but who's to say Aslan wouldn't put himself in position to take attacks to prevent harm to someone in his army? Reading your post, though, did draw my attention to another possible issue with Magic Deeper Still. We limited Deep Magic to once per game, but there is no restriction on Magic Deeper Still. With the current wording, Aslan could sacrifice himself, and if he successfully comes back, could be destroyed through normal means and try to come back again over and over again.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.