Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Heroscape at JH school (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=46985)

Tiranx November 9th, 2012 01:43 PM

Heroscape at JH school

I have started to put together a collection of Heroscape to take to school and introduce to my students at the JH school. It has taken me a while to get stuff that I won't be heartbroken to lose or have broken.

Figures:

Erevan Sunshadow
Ana Karithorn
Tandros Kreel
Darrak Ambershard
Sgt. Drake (RotV)
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Agent Carr
Pelloth
Othkurik the Black Dragon
Moltenclaw
Tezcacoatl the Blue Dragon (qt.bangerange)

Gor'Vath (robbdaman)

Rat Swarms (Killometer) X3

Plague Rat (qt.bangerange) X1

Lolth Spiders (qt.bangerange) X2

Feral Troll X1
Ogre Warhulk X1
Wyvern X1
Deepwurm Drow X1
Airborn Elite

Terrain:

Master Set 3

This depleted a lot of my trade thread, but I am excited to get it to school and set it up. I will try and post the custom figures' cards and the prebuilt arimies I made for the kids. Excited to show them the Dungeon Crawl scenarios after they are familiar with the game.

ibechief November 9th, 2012 03:06 PM

Re: Heroscape at JH school

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranx (Post 1710159)
I have started to put together a collection of Heroscape to take to school and introduce to my students at the JH school. It has taken me a while to get stuff that I won't be heartbroken to lose or have broken.

Figures:

Erevan Sunshadow
Ana Karithorn
Tandros Kreel
Darrak Ambershard
Sgt. Drake (RotV)
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Agent Carr
Pelloth
Othkurik the Black Dragon
Moltenclaw
Tezcaoatl the Blue Dragon (qt.bangerange)
Gor'Vath (robbdman)
Rat Swarms (Killometer) X3
Plague Rat (qt.bangerange) X1
Feral Troll X1
Ogre Warhulk X1
Wyvern X1
Deepwurm Drow X1
Airborn Elite

Terrain:

Master Set 3

This depleted a lot of my trade thread, but I am excited to get it to school and set it up. I will try and post the custom figures' cards and the prebuilt arimies I made for the kids. Excited to show them the Dungeon Crawl scenarios after they are familiar with the game.

I remember trying something like this back in the day but with Dungeons and Dragons. I hope you get a better welcome than I did.

Shedim Kabal November 9th, 2012 10:58 PM

Legoboy and belrix both have Heroscape Clubs at schools, apparently very successfully. Legoboy has a bunch of pictures from his 5th Grade Club, and blerix says they get around 20 kids (20!) in their group. As you can see in the "Similar Thread" guide below, there's been a lot of people who tried it out. War games and miniature games don't have the stigma of RPGs, for various reasons, and seem a lot easier to get clubs going.

Good luck, Tiranx!

Tiranx November 10th, 2012 06:19 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. I went to the school today, Saturday, to set up a map and take everything to school. Ended up setting up the first map from the Master Set 3 scenarios.

I also put together some quick play armies based off the figures I have at the school.

Infestation:

Gor'Vath
Rat Swarms X3
Plauge Rat X1

325 points

Double Dragon:

Tezcacoatl
Moltenclaw

330 points

Defenders:

Marcus Decimus Gallus
Airborn Elite
Ana Karithon
Darrak Ambershard

370 points

Swords and Sorcery:

Orthkurik
Tandros Kreel
Erevan Sunshadow

340 points

Monster Mash:

Feral Troll
Ogre Warhulk
Wyvern

340 points

Drow Invasion:

Pelloth
Lolth Spiders X2
Deepwurm Drow X1

370 points

I know the point totals are not even on all the armies, but there are some that are very close. I want to get another Giant Rat to play as a Plauge Rat in the Infestation army (putting that one at 350).

I also have Agent Carr and Sgt. Drake that can be substituted into any army. I am actually excited for Monday.

Tiranx November 12th, 2012 07:27 PM

The first day--

I got so many questions and interest from students just from the map being set up. Some of the students that come into my class before school, at lunch, or after school to play Magic were really excited after I showed them the bag of figures.

I explained the rules to one kid and then two others showed up that wanted to play. They ended up playing one figure apiece. Ogre Warhulk, Tezcacoatl, and Moltenclaw slugged it out.

They didn't finish the game, but had a good grasp on the basic concept of the game and were really digging throwing down the dice. They left saying they were excited to play tomorrow.

Besides the students that played there were about six others watching and one of the girls even mentioned that they had Heroscape at home and played a lot. Small world.

ibechief November 13th, 2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranx (Post 1711716)
The first day--

I got so many questions and interest from students just from the map being set up. Some of the students that come into my class before school, at lunch, or after school to play Magic were really excited after I showed them the bag of figures.

I explained the rules to one kid and then two others showed up that wanted to play. They ended up playing one figure apiece. Ogre Warhulk, Tezcacoatl, and Moltenclaw slugged it out.

They didn't finish the game, but had a good grasp on the basic concept of the game and were really digging throwing down the dice. They left saying they were excited to play tomorrow.

Besides the students that played there were about six others watching and one of the girls even mentioned that they had Heroscape at home and played a lot. Small world.

That is great news!

I'm excited that things are taking off.

Typhon2222 November 13th, 2012 08:17 AM

Indeed! Keep us posted. Being cut off from my 'Scape collection for a year or two, I'm living vicariously. :)

Tiranx November 14th, 2012 02:35 AM

Day 2 --

Got chewed out by my students for not having my class open in the morning for them to play 'scape!

At lunch after they forgave me for my morning meeting I was swarmed by enthusiastic players. Ended up having a six player battle where everyone got to choos one card. Squads were introduced to the group so the Deepwurm Drow and the Airborn Elite found themselves on the table this time.

For variouse reasons had kind of a rough day, but Heroscape at lunch sure was the highlight for me. All of my Magic the Gathering players are now playing Heroscape. Take that Wizards of the Coast!

I also had one kid ask me where to buy Heroscape. I showed him what a master set was and he has now found a way to spend his 60 bucks of birthday money. You just can't kill a good game.

Unhinged Manchild November 14th, 2012 10:44 AM

Dang I wish you were my teacher in school! This looks fun!

legoboy November 14th, 2012 06:47 PM

Hey, good luck. This is our third school year that we have had club and our numbers keep rising. We had 16 kids and 4 adults show for our last meeting. I'll keep checking this thread out to see how things are going. If you ever have any questions, PM me.

qt.bangerang November 14th, 2012 07:14 PM

Glad to see some of my customs getting some good use!

Tiranx November 15th, 2012 12:09 AM

Thanks legoboy I will be sending you a PM eventually about your after school program. We have a one as well and there is a gaming group, I just need to steal it from whoever has it this trimester.

Bangerang you keep those customs coming. I played your Plague Rat and three squads of Killometer's Rat Swarms today to help the kids understand Moltenclaw's special attack and the Ogre Warhulk's Hurricane Flail.

You better believe that they geeked out when the Warhulk took out four Rat Swarms in one attack! This also made me add some of Pathfinder's Giant Rats to my Want section of my trade thread.

Tiranx January 18th, 2013 01:25 AM

Things really slowed down with my Heroscape group before Christmas break. I tried to take the game to a teacher who keeps his room open all lunch for games, but they just didn't like going to his room and stopped playing it.

After Christmas break I got my stuff back and set up room three of the DnD manual scenarios. Today after making copies in the morning I find that two armies are set up and ready for a lunch time brawl.

Airborn Elite
Moltenclaw

Vs.

Deepwurm Drow
Pelloth
Orthkurik

After lunch was over I caught the tail end and a third student jumped in with the Plauge Rat and three squads of Rat Swarms. I need more time in a day so that I can actually play too!

Also found out that one of my students ended up getting Rise of the Valkyrie, lava terrain, and a bunch of extras from Auggies (showed him the website at school) for Christmas. He was a pretty happy kid.

Tiranx January 20th, 2013 04:50 PM

Big thanks to Rocktroll who donated a set of Master Set 1 figures to our game group. He didn't even charge us for shipping!

Thanks Rocktroll, you are the nicest troll I have ever met.

Tiranx January 25th, 2013 08:03 PM

All the kids sure loved the RotV figures. Mimring was pretty impressive to them since I only had DnD dragons. The new figures also attracted new players.

Thanks again Rocktroll.

Typhon2222 January 26th, 2013 03:11 AM

:up:

Tiranx March 15th, 2013 12:00 AM

Well it is official. Next year I get to teach creative and writing and game design. I will be using Heroscape and a few other games to teach technical writing at the jr. high. I am pretty stoked about teaching this and think that the students I can lure into this will really like it.

MegaSilver March 15th, 2013 12:49 AM

Cool! Great job!

1moreheroscaper March 16th, 2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranx (Post 1780962)
Well it is official. Next year I get to teach creative and writing and game design. I will be using Heroscape and a few other games to teach technical writing at the jr. high. I am pretty stoked about teaching this and think that the students I can lure into this will really like it.

Cogratulations. It can definitely be a rigorous process for the kids, especially if you are aiming for professional grade designs.

pieface! June 15th, 2013 09:53 PM

I actually brought in some 'scape to to play in flex back when school was still in. I started kind of late with only a few weeks left of school though. I set up a small map and immediately saw some interested faces. However after a few quick games it thinned out to a few kids that came back each time. All of us had a great time playing. Overall very positive response.:D

Drewman-chu June 16th, 2013 12:09 AM

I have been using custom superhero cards and also some classic Heroscape. Students love it and learn it pretty quick. I trick I have learn is using the HSaholic Ipad app for dice rolls speeds up the game and kids think its cool.

Tiranx June 16th, 2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewman-chu (Post 1830286)
I have been using custom superhero cards and also some classic Heroscape. Students love it and learn it pretty quick. I trick I have learn is using the HSaholic Ipad app for dice rolls speeds up the game and kids think its cool.

Nice suggestion on the Ipad app. I will definitely use that. The kids do have a tendency to roll the dice off the table all the time.

LMB July 7th, 2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranx (Post 1830639)
The kids do have a tendency to roll the dice off the table all the time.

Two words: dice tower.

kolakoski July 12th, 2013 05:39 PM

Well met!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranx (Post 1830639)
The kids do have a tendency to roll the dice off the table all the time.

Dice trays are great for this!

Dice Tray in foreground.

Tiranx March 6th, 2015 02:06 PM

I know I am not very active on her anymore, but thought you guys would appreciate this moment. It is the last day of the trimester for my Creative Writing and Board Game Design class and the kids got to choose a game to play for fun on the last two days. They chose Heroscape. I am sitting here laughing as they yell and scream at each other as Deathwalker 9000 destroyes a whole squad of Killometer's Rat Swarm custom. Then Dead Eye Dan turns around and insta-kills Deathwalker. It has definitely been fun to see this game get some love even after it has been discontinued.

Typhon2222 March 6th, 2015 02:38 PM

:cheer:

Killometer March 7th, 2015 01:02 AM

:woot: for keeping the passion going!

And that class sounds awesome! :jawdrop: