Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gen Con (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Gen Con 2019 (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55479)

Dysole March 8th, 2019 03:38 AM

Putting Words In Your Mouth
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261496)
1. To say that the time to use BoV maps has passed is ridiculous. We use them because they are good. Something like Highways and Dieways has been used a ton because itís superbly balanced and well designed, not because of nostalgia.

So we can look forward to Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh and Ember Canyon Road at Gencon? :P

That said, I can think of plenty of maps that I love and think are great that are terrible for Gencon maps (Failed Negotiations and Can't See the Jungle were the first two that came to mind).

Personally I liked a lot of the maps last year although Burial Marsh was annoying for double hexers (I was just fortunate to play against my templar on those maps). I'd be pretty happy with a list similar to last year.

~Dysole, admittedly without a dog in the fight and mostly wanting to chime in so she could razz OEAO

Sir Heroscape March 8th, 2019 08:33 AM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261496)
2. ARV maps may be considered. HOWEVER, we will not use a map that we have not thoroughly tested ourselves.

Iím glad this is your processs, but it does put a lot of onus on you (and others) to branch out and test those maps just as much as we already do/did then...(which seems counter-intuitive but okay), rather than just sticking with what you already know. So then Iíd ask, how familiar are you with ARV maps? Have you played them much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261496)
However, just because they are approved by a group does not mean they are right for the GenCon map pool.

Agreed, some TDís will always draw a line and have an opinion on each map and thatís okay.


Overall Iím not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to challenge the status quo (kinda like how we still havenít had a C3V/SoV event...whaaaaa?! But we did C3G?)

Tornado March 8th, 2019 08:36 AM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Really, now you are going to take a swing at C3G?

Dragon Ruler March 8th, 2019 09:03 AM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
One important factor in choosing a GenCon map is that the map be balanced -- no particular type of army (range, melee, etc.) or figure (flying, double hexed, etc.) be helped or hurt by the map. I think the map pool last year met that goal.

With that in mind, as well as the terrain limitations noted in this thread, can those of you familiar with the ARV map pool suggest a few (maybe half a dozen) ARV maps that you believe meet this objective? There are too many ARV maps for those involved with GenCon map selection to properly play test prior to the map selection deadline.

Matthias Maccabeus March 8th, 2019 09:50 AM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
So if I’m hearing you correctly Sir Heroscape, you essentially want us to pick a map from the ARV because you feel they are good maps and you are tired of the old maps at Gen Con, even if they are good as a general rule?

I just looked over there and as Lonewolf mentioned earlier you only seem to have 3 1MS + 1 Exp maps, which is really the bottom line at Gen Con. But we will certainly keep those 3 in mind.


Customs, for the 42nd time, are more than welcome to be played at one of the open play events and we even encourage you to run an event at that time frame if you wish.

Sir Heroscape March 8th, 2019 10:04 AM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2261517)
Really, now you are going to take a swing at C3G?

Apologies, no. Just surprised C3G gets an official event but not SoV/C3V

Sir Heroscape March 8th, 2019 10:06 AM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus (Post 2261530)
So if I’m hearing you correctly Sir Heroscape, you essentially want us to pick a map from the ARV because you feel they are good maps and you are tired of the old maps at Gen Con, even if they are good as a general rule?

Heavens no. There are plenty of good BoV and other maps, im just trying to make a case that ARV maps should be given a fair chance, and for you guys, that may mean replaytestung them to make sure they fit your bill.

Hendal March 8th, 2019 12:16 PM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
I have always thought there where plenty of different maps, and have always been happy with them. I want to thank whoever is in charge of all the map picking, you guys rock!


The only problem I have ever seen is you randomly keep getting the same couple of maps - but if you say I have played this already you can change maps usually ( unless your against a top tier player who wants to win more then just play and will say no I want this board - cause they feel it is to their advantage - but those guys are far and few between know that it is not a living game with lots of prizes.

Speaking of prizes, I promise my game selection will be better then last year! I have no where to store stuff in Ohio anymore and thought of selling off a lot of it, then thought just give it away as prizes for HS - cause any prize is better then no prize in my mind.

OrcElfArmyOne March 8th, 2019 12:31 PM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape (Post 2261515)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261496)
2. ARV maps may be considered. HOWEVER, we will not use a map that we have not thoroughly tested ourselves.

Iím glad this is your processs, but it does put a lot of onus on you (and others) to branch out and test those maps just as much as we already do/did then...(which seems counter-intuitive but okay), rather than just sticking with what you already know. So then Iíd ask, how familiar are you with ARV maps? Have you played them much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261496)
However, just because they are approved by a group does not mean they are right for the GenCon map pool.

Agreed, some TDís will always draw a line and have an opinion on each map and thatís okay.


Overall Iím not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to challenge the status quo (kinda like how we still havenít had a C3V/SoV event...whaaaaa?! But we did C3G?)

Some of the people who are part of the map selection team have some experience on a few of the ARV maps.

In case it wasn't clear, we do want to support modern map makers, and are actively looking for new options. However, there is no guarantee that anything specifically from the ARV is selected.

Sir Heroscape March 8th, 2019 12:47 PM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261551)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape (Post 2261515)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261496)
2. ARV maps may be considered. HOWEVER, we will not use a map that we have not thoroughly tested ourselves.

Iím glad this is your processs, but it does put a lot of onus on you (and others) to branch out and test those maps just as much as we already do/did then...(which seems counter-intuitive but okay), rather than just sticking with what you already know. So then Iíd ask, how familiar are you with ARV maps? Have you played them much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne (Post 2261496)
However, just because they are approved by a group does not mean they are right for the GenCon map pool.

Agreed, some TDís will always draw a line and have an opinion on each map and thatís okay.


Overall Iím not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to challenge the status quo (kinda like how we still havenít had a C3V/SoV event...whaaaaa?! But we did C3G?)

Some of the people who are part of the map selection team have some experience on a few of the ARV maps.

In case it wasn't clear, we do want to support modern map makers, and are actively looking for new options. However, there is no guarantee that anything specifically from the ARV is selected.

:up: good to hear. We wouldnít want a free pass either haha, then itíd be too easy.

Astroking112 March 8th, 2019 01:33 PM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus (Post 2261530)
Customs, for the 42nd time, are more than welcome to be played at one of the open play events and we even encourage you to run an event at that time frame if you wish.

I know that VC is allowed in the Open Play events, but I think that a bigger C3V/SoV-inclusive event could also be pretty interesting. The units are balanced enough to lend themselves to a tournament structure in my opinion, and only lumping them in with all kinds of customs makes it more difficult to get in normal matches with them (nothing against other customs, of course, but I think that many have different goals than the VC ones do). Much like C3G is deserving of its own event, I'd argue that C3V/SoV is as well.

That said, I also don't know how the attendance would be because I've only been to a single GenCon before, and I can see the argument being made that C3G represents SuperheroScape whereas VC extends the classic game and thus can more easily be slotted into other events... But if there's ever a C3V/SoV event, I'd definitely want to participate.

Matthias Maccabeus March 8th, 2019 02:23 PM

Re: Gen Con 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroking112 (Post 2261579)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus (Post 2261530)
Customs, for the 42nd time, are more than welcome to be played at one of the open play events and we even encourage you to run an event at that time frame if you wish.

I know that VC is allowed in the Open Play events, but I think that a bigger C3V/SoV-inclusive event could also be pretty interesting. The units are balanced enough to lend themselves to a tournament structure in my opinion, and only lumping them in with all kinds of customs makes it more difficult to get in normal matches with them (nothing against other customs, of course, but I think that many have different goals than the VC ones do). Much like C3G is deserving of its own event, I'd argue that C3V/SoV is as well.

That said, I also don't know how the attendance would be because I've only been to a single GenCon before, and I can see the argument being made that C3G represents SuperheroScape whereas VC extends the classic game and thus can more easily be slotted into other events... But if there's ever a C3V/SoV event, I'd definitely want to participate.

And my response will continue to be, run whatever 3 letter custom event that you want during an open play slot. Megasilver and my bff dok have done it several times in the past and I believe they have gone ok overall.

We certainly encourage you guys to take advantage of the time we have available for you to run those sort of events.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.